Quantcast

MONO at the Middle East, 18Jun06

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
last night i actually rousted myself from the post-weekend stupor/slowdown, and at about 9PM i hopped in my car solo, and drove into the city to see MONO (all caps for some reason). while i really like their sound, they do hew a bit too close to the Mogwai template for my unconditional approval (mostly instrumental (lurching, heavy, dynamic instrumental behemoths; no vocals at all in MONO's case, mogwai's been adding some vocals here and there lately), though if you are gonna knick from someone, Mogwai's not a bad place to start. i got there a bit later than i really wanted to, and after paying immediately when to scope out a place to take pictures.

not sure if you know the middle east downstairs, but it used to be a bowling alley. at 5'9" or so, i need to get as close as possible, so i snuck my way down towards the right side, unfortunately right next to the PA. unlike the mogwai show, where i had to resort to balledup cocktail napkins, i brought my ear plugs and wedged 'em in as far as they could go. if you've never had the amplified sound of a kick drum feel like a strong gust of wind on yr leg hairs, i highly recommend it (in short doses).

anyway, i had 3 or so people in front of me, so i spent a lot of time on my tippie-toes trying to get unimpeded shots. this problem was compounded by the fact that both guitar players were seated for the entire performance. since the DSLR won't show the 'preview' via the LCD screen (the shutter's not open), i couldn't use that method. anyway, a couple of people ended up moving back from the front (some asian girl got a phone call, and some black girl looked nauseous), so i made do, put it in continuous shooting, and got some decent captures.

enjoy:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
narlus said:
...and some black girl looked nauseous
They seem to have a knack for illiciting a rather viceral response from their audiences. The first time I saw MONO at the Warehouse Next Door in DC some dude had a seizure right in front of Corey_DCStreet and me. Everyone around us shrugged it off as if it was a completely natural response to the aural pummeling that was MONO and the band never missed a beat. We caught them again at the Black Cat last month where they played an awesome, albeit relatively short set, along with The Life and Times and some other group that wasn't very memorable.

Great shots Narlus!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Nice pics! Good show, too.

I haven't thought of hauling my clunky dslr to a show for fears of everything from it being eaten by a nyc bouncer to it being hurled upon by some overly intoxicated kid from Morristown.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well the P&S cameras can't really get any usable images in those conditions, and flash just kills any mood, imo. i am tempted to get another couple of low light lenses; a wider one than the current 50 i've got, so i can get full stage shots from up close, and replacing the current 50 f/1.8 for the f/1.4 USM version. i was really surprised at how well the camera was focusing though last night; didn't have too many blown shots.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Toninator said:
what's a good album to start with?
the new one _You Are There_ is a good one, and albini did a nice job recording it. _Under The Pipal Tree_ has probably my fave song on it though, "the kidnapper bell". when i get home i will send you a YSI link of it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i quite like #2, 4, 6, especially #2. :thumb: . the drums all hazy in the bokeh looks sweet.