Quantcast

monochrome desktop printers

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Could there be a less exciting thread title??

My current lousy, old, multifunction, ink-sucking desktop croaked. I don't need multi-anything or color, just B&W printing and a small footprint. Easy on the consumables a plus. Please and thank you for your suggestions.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Print to PDF and avoid the cost.

Or buy a $100 laser printer. When it runs out of toner, buy another one. Toner will probably be as expensive as the printer...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Print to PDF and avoid the cost.

Or buy a $100 laser printer. When it runs out of toner, buy another one. Toner will probably be as expensive as the printer...
The toner you get with a new printer purchase is of a special small size. TMYK.

My current printer will consume something like $450 in toner, and can order its own replacements from Amazon via magic... but that should last north of 6,000 pages.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Not doing a massive amount of printing, hence 2/3s of the Bontrager philosophy: cheap and strong. PDFs are great and all, but still take up screen real estate when you need something to refer to for notes, agendas, etc., and are screen sharing.

Cheap-ass laser printer seems to be the way to go

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yup - cheap laser. Check the cost of toner cartridges *before* purchase so you can minimize TCO.
I bought a larger/beefier printer than I'd originally planned because of this. The larger one can take higher capacity toner cartridges, which should pay off after a few thousand pages... and my kids just love to have shit printed out for them so that they can color them in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not doing a massive amount of printing, hence 2/3s of the Bontrager philosophy: cheap and strong. PDFs are great and all, but still take up screen real estate when you need something to refer to for notes, agendas, etc., and are screen sharing.

Cheap-ass laser printer seems to be the way to go
A second screen might be cheaper than a printer in the long run...you'll love it. Guaranteed. Ask @Toshi about his :fancy: setup.

Jeffy2k

Chimp
Jun 4, 2021
If you don't use original cartridge and refilling it much easier since you can use waste trousers and new toner, but sometimes it can be difficult, some of it is made of 1005 toner (similar to the original – the same problem with magnet roller), some of it takes 1010 toner.

Such printers are still made? Inside are pretty good, if the same as in the old models (hp1102 or 6000 canon). But there may be small capacity for carriage with printer. If you plan to re-fill this by yourself, you must be aware that OPC (in original cartridge's) carries three refills, plus one 1005 toner leave trace on a magnet roller. And you have to clean it every time you fill up there isn't much space for waste of toner.