Quantcast

Monster Brew opinions?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so I've kinda figured out that my gf Liz got me a homebrew kit from them for x-mas (this might be the best present I've ever gotten!). I've brewed beer before with a housemate, but we used a 5 gallon carboy. Does anyone have experience with the Monster Brew kits? Is the beer good? Do they use extract ingredients or actual ingredients?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks like it's just a standard homebrew kit. Nothing special to worry about; you used a 5-gallon carboy, depending on the kit, it might come with another carboy or just a brewing bucket. The buckets are cheap and you may want to upgrade in the future but for a single-fermentation brewing, there is plenty of yeast activity to drive out any oxygen in the bucket.

Brew like you normally would.

The ingredient kits seem to all be extract kits, which I'd expect for a small home brewing operation: all grain takes a little more equipment, time and work. There's nothing "not real" about an extract kit and you can make great beers from them. Whether this particular company's extract kits are good or not (some of them have the ingredients sitting around so long that they get stale)... I don't know. But there's nothing inherently wrong or different about either their equipment kits or ingredient kits.

My $0.02.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cool thanks for the info. I definitely plan on upgrading to a 5 or 6 gal carboy in the future, but for the first batch or 2 I think the bucket will be fine.

The only reason I ask about extract is because I've never used it before; brewing with my old housemate we always used grains.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Were you snooping in her closet again?
#1) No. We share a closet.

#2) The packages were on our doorstep yesterday when I got home, 3 medium sized brown boxes, all taped shut very conspicuously with custom packing tape that said "monster brew"

#3) She is in Oregon on business right now, so someone had to bring them in.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
#1) No. We share a closet.

#2) The packages were on our doorstep yesterday when I got home, 3 medium sized brown boxes, all taped shut very conspicuously with custom packing tape that said "monster brew"

#3) She is in Oregon on business right now, so someone had to bring them in.
well, you might as well open her up then. :D