Quantcast

Monster Energy & Red BULL

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Does anyone regularly drink these drinks before they ride? or when else ?
I used a Monster Energy at work & i didn't feel anything..Guess i was tired & beat working 12+ hours in the hot sun & it kept me awake & going ....
Seems like Red Bull might have more kick ?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
No. Energy drinks like this these tend to be very high in caffeine and simple sugars. While caffeine does have some valid benefits to exercise, I try to shy away from such a high dosage, if any, during a workout. Simple sugars are a big no-no because they lead to a big rush followed by a big crash.

Of the energy drinks I've tried, Red Bull definitely packs more a "kick" than some of the others. Werd.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I don't do energy drinks, bars, powders.... and all that miracle-y type stuff....

If I can't get what I need simply by eating correctly, there is something wrong.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MudGrrl said:
I don't do energy drinks, bars, powders.... and all that miracle-y type stuff....

If I can't get what I need simply by eating correctly, there is something wrong.

so you just go with water on a long ride (3 plus hours saddle time) ?

I would be starving, bonk & get leg cramps..if I didnt bring "miracle-y" stuff

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
yes. I do bring water.

But then, I probably don't ride as hard as you do.

I think that there are too many powders, packets and gels out there that somehow guarantee the consumer to be 100x faster, stronger, whatever.........

And I think that a lot of people rely on this stuff too much. Example: my friend and I were in a 5k race. He was downing Gu before the race because it made him 'faster'. He swears by the stuff, but doesn't do any of the work that needs to be done, so he's never improving .... he's just always looking for shortcuts.

I will bring some kind of a quick snacky thing in case I start seeing stars (blacking out), but that doesn't happen much. I started blacking out once last year because I didn't have the proper nutrition prior to the ride ( I was on running food, which for me tends to be lighter than biking food), and after that I put a vanilla gel in my pack. It's still there.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i only use monster and redbull for chugging contests w/ the guys...

its only for fun, although when i had to pull an all nighter, three monsters got me tweakin all night.

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
thePINKster said:
i only use monster and redbull for chugging contests w/ the guys...

its only for fun, although when i had to pull an all nighter, three monsters got me tweakin all night.
yeah and i beat you bad at chugging!!!!!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I drink Monster and Red Bull all the time. I just like the taste. When at work I drink a Monster. It takes me about 5-6 hours to drink a Monster so I never really get the kick. I usually drink a Red Bull on my days off before rides. I think they give you a little extra but nothing noticable. There really isnt that much caffeine in a Red Bull. You can get more from a couple cups of coffee.

FARQ

Chimp
Jul 6, 2006
In my Head
RED BULLLLLL!!!!!! YEah. I love that stuff with Vodka-I am claiming the name now-The red Bull RAMPAGE!! Ask for them in your local tavern. Come on, it'll be trendy, you know you want to.

ATOMICFIREBALL

May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I think i would puke if i mixed Red Bull with Vodka ?!

Monster Energy green tastes better to me than Red Bull,but the Bull has slightly more kick in that tiny easily spillable can.....

ICE COLD Coke original is my all-time favorite get me going drinks...........No coffee for me- i love the smell of coffee though..

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
ATOMICFIREBALL said:
I think i would puke if i mixed Red Bull with Vodka ?!
nah...its pretty good. Of course, if you have too many you might end up a hurtin unit. Its like having too many rye and cokes, usually its the coke that causes the problem. You have to mix your red-bull and vodka with gatorade or something to replenish your fluids.

I like Full Throttle best...same caffeine as a can of redbull, but its tastier and actually lasts for more than 3.2 sips. Monster Assault is also pretty good.

Normally, we just drink beer while riding...you need to add some water in there once in a while, but other than that it seems to keep us going pretty good!

ATOMICFIREBALL said:
Does anyone regularly drink these drinks before they ride? or when else ?
I used a Monster Energy at work & i didn't feel anything..Guess i was tired & beat working 12+ hours in the hot sun & it kept me awake & going ....
Seems like Red Bull might have more kick ?
BE CAREFUL WITH PRODUCTS SUCH AS REDBULL.

1. Red Bull ingredients include caffeine and sugar..lots of sugar. With that said, it can actually dehydrate you. That means if you’re physically exerting yourself and drink a can of Red Bull, the lack of hydration could strain your heart. 3 or 4 deaths have been reported due to the consumption of redbull with and without mixing with alchohol. One moron drank 3 or 4 cans prior to an extensive workout routine and he dropped dead.

I'm not saying don't drink it but just don't abuse it.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
i actually drink 1 monster before each of my race runs. however I drink it while on the lift up so i'm sure it wont have a chance to even make me crash. it seems to calm me down and let me concentrate on my run as opposed to being worried and stressed. I dont know if its the caffine or what, but I dont drink caffine any other time so it could be why it still has an effect. it also could all be in my head, but either way, it works.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just redbull/vodka :)

Seriously though, there is so many energy drinks out there and most of it is just a high caffine base anyways. When beer companies (Budweiser) come out with an "energy beer" everything is gone down the drain....

The bars atleast have some nutritional value. They are labled as an energy bar but they aren't near as bad for you as the drinks. Just find one you like and eat it an hour before you're ride and you are good to go.

That is of course unless you drink like 5 of them in a row like some moron did in Europe and then do a monster hardcore workout...he died. Of course the news story didn't say if he had a heart condition or if he was all dieted down and holding no water like many bodybuilders do. That of course would help the dehydration effect to come on more quickly and cause heart failure. In that case I still think there was some underlying reason for his death and NOT the Red Bull. But we all know the media and governments. they never tell the whole story now do they. Remember Ephedrine? You know, the stuff that has been around since the beginning of time and then all of a sudden, it was deemed unsafe. Of course it was unsafe for the like 10 people that died out of billions that have taken it. Then again, heart conditions, 3 hour football practice in 100 degree weather and no FLUIDS didn't have anything to do with it. I say ban football practice if it's hotter then 78 degrees and manditory water breaks every 15 minutes.
Damn governments. I hate them all.

ATOMICFIREBALL

May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Monster Energy in the orange flavor is better than green ! I have been buying Monster Energy now & am more satisfied with those.
Everyone at my work constantly drinks Red Bull all day long.We work 12+ hours in the heat all day long. I just drink one can of Monster/ 60 oz of water & 20 oz of fitness water Propel or something.

Thanks for all the info .............!

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
dont drink anymore than 3 or4 redbulls within an hour, you could get a heart attack, seen it happen to a dude thats about 18, but yea red bull almost once a day for me, that stuff is amazing