Quantcast

Monster Energy-Specialized Caps Off Crankworx with a Double Podium

Oct 20, 2009
<p>The Monster Energy - Specialized team capped off the 2009 Crankworx festival in Whistler, Canada with a double podium in the Canadian Open downhill event. Sam Hill took the win by a staggering 8 seconds over teammate Brendan Fairclough with a time of 3:02.56.</p><p>
</p><p>
Over 300 riders took part in the event, which took place on an extremely challenging track that most riders would agree would be perfect on the World Cup. It features loose blown out corners, rocks, roots, extremely steep sections and huge jumps.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hill was happy with his run. "Crankworx is amazing, I love it. I had to push it on this track, it was pretty loose but fast. It&#8217;s great to see my teammate Brendan come second as well. Now we're off to get Wild in Canberra!"</p><p>
</p><p>
Both riders received the loudest applause of the day as they headed over the steepest section of the course as it was packed with rowdy, vocal Aussies, an inflatable Kangaroo and dozes of cases of beer. </p><p>
</p><p>
Fairclough has remained consistent this season, showing up on multiple podiums alongside his teammate. "It was a great finish. I am really happy with second behind Sam, but I would have preferred to be a bit closer in time. I didn't make any huge mistakes and pushed hard."</p><p>
</p><p>
Tires used for the DH; Sam chose to run a Specialized Butcher 2.5 up front and a Specialized Clutch 2.5 out back, while Brendan matched the Specialized Butcher 2.5 front and rear. </p><p>
</p><p>
The event itself ended a 10 day west coast Canadian swing for the team, with both Monster Energy riders competing in multiple events. Earlier in the week both riders competed in the Dual Slalom event, as well as the launch of the new Troy Lee D3 helmet, which will include a Sam Hill Replica colorway. In the dual slalom event, both riders were seeded in the same heat due to a timing problem, and saw Hill knock out Fairclough first round, only to go down himself in the loose upper corners the following round.</p><p>
</p><p>
The team now packs up and heads to Australia early next week for the World Championships in Canberra, Australia on September 6th.</p>

More...