Quantcast

Monster T

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I wonder how light you could get one with an air spring mod from a 888 ATA and some custom machined slotted out crowns. I heard of people modding it to get it down to something reasonable, though probably not so much by todays standards, and keeping the classic feel of it.

They really did ride like moto forks being so heavy. They didn't dive like most of the older Zoke's did because of the weight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wonder how light you could get one with an air spring mod from a 888 ATA and some custom machined slotted out crowns. I heard of people modding it to get it down to something reasonable, though probably not so much by todays standards, and keeping the classic feel of it.

They really did ride like moto forks being so heavy. They didn't dive like most of the older Zoke's did because of the weight.
I don't think they weight that much for a 175mm fork with 40mm stanchions. The turning radius alone makes it worth it to me.

Turning radius is one thing Stratos forks had above all others. Off-set crowns allowed for near 180 degree turning, unlike a Jr. T.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
unlike a Jr. T.
Eh, I don't notice it that much unless I am climbing through a switchback. If it gets to tight i pop a small wheelie and pivot my bike on the rear tire to reposition.

Sometimes it droves me nuts. Especially when the switch back is steep and the wheelie lands me on my ass.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Eh, I don't notice it that much unless I am climbing through a switchback. If it gets to tight i pop a small wheelie and pivot my bike on the rear tire to reposition.

Sometimes it droves me nuts. Especially when the switch back is steep and the wheelie lands me on my ass.
I notice on ladders and other random stunts. Or when I am trying to turn around. It's just a nice feature, that's all I'm saying. You can "get used to it", but you shouldn't have to adapt to an inferior design either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No I totally agree, I like the Shiver, great feel and you can almost make it go 180.

But it's not stiff enough...
There is a Shiver on my RM7. I haven't ridden it yet, but it feels very plush. I don't think there is a fork made that is as stiff as the Monster, though.