Quantcast

Montana Whistler Trip

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ok, its almost 2009. Who is down for a Montana Whistler Trip? Last year 6 guys from all around the state carpooled and made it to Whister for some AWESOME riding in September. We lucked out with the weather and had great temps with NO rain. Ive been to Whistler 1-2 weeks a year for about 5 years and it was the best weather I have experienced. The crew was all cool and everyone was about the same ability. The plan this year is to ride 7-10 days.

Get a calender and let me know what you think.

Tentative plan:
July 11-19

Drive to Silver Star in Vernon BC July 11.
Ride Silver Star July 12.
Drive to Whistler July 13, maybe ride extended play.
Ride Whistler July 14, 15, 16.
Drive to the North Shore July 17.
Ride the NS July 17th and 18th.
Drive home July 19th.

Is this too much? Not enough. Ill leave earlier or stay longer if anyone wants to. I live for mountain biking.

Anyone wanna go?

Last edited:

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I'm down. For us Bozemanites, it might go like this:

- July 11th : Drive to Silver Star
- July 12th : Ride Silver Star
- July 13th : Ride Silver Star and drive to Whistler in the evening/night
- July 14-16 : Ride Whistler
- July 17th : Drive to NS, ride
- July 18th : Ride NS
- July 19th : drive home

Bozeman -> Silver Star is about an 11 hour drive, so unless we took friday off from work too that wouldn't work for us. This way, us Bozemanites only have to take off 5 days from work and get:
- 2 days at Silver Star
- 3 days at Whistler
- 1 1/2 days on the shore

I'm gonna have to do some 'body hardening' before this trip. :D After 2 days at Whistler on the last trip, my hands were pretty much raw. (I work at a computer keyboard all day.....what'dya gonna do? :D )

Should be a good trip.

--Ben

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
It takes about 7-8 hrs to get from Silver Star to Whistler.

It takes about 7-8 hours to get to Silver Star from Kalispell. The road is SLOW.

If anyone wants to leave earlier let me know!!

Last edited:

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
No matter which schedule you all decide on, I WILL make it happen. This trip gives me the will to live through winter after the incredible time we all had last year ;)

I'm stoked to check out the Vancouver/shore area this time around!

Kanter: if Big Sky opens the "old side" of the mountain up again this summer (please please please), I promise to be your tour guide for that one with all the great planning you did for me last year in BC. We can room together again and save a little, too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
6 months till Whister... its already been 4 since we were there. I cant wait.

Id like to make it to Big Sky this year.

The above schedule sounds like it might work for a few others. Anyone is welcome to join in.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I've been hearing rumors around here that they might open the old side next year *and* leave the new stuff on Andesite open too. Might be a hell of a year at Big Sky.

As for Whistler, Silver Star and the shore.....I am beyond stoked. :rockout: :rockout:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dates are set. Im going to start making reservations. PM me if you want to go and havent yet reserved a spot.

It looks like we are going to have a big crew if everyone goes.

--My crew, if everyone goes that says they are going--
me-Kalispell
RJ-Whitefish
Brad-Billings

Other crew
Chris-Helena
Brandon-Polson
John-Helena

How many are coming from Bozeman VENOOM600?

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
6 months till Whister... its already been 4 since we were there. I cant wait.

Id like to make it to Big Sky this year.

The above schedule sounds like it might work for a few others. Anyone is welcome to join in.
Was at Whistler a few days ago. In Deep is just that:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
wow. Wish i could go. Farthest i'll get up north is probably Big Sky for this year. Getting married this summer, so most of my money is going to that. Whistler might have to wait another year for me to show up.

do you guys know if Big Sky is going to have their lifts running this summer? Us utah locals love that place. Couple times a year up there makes us happy. Minus Brian. But he's been cooler with us lately.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Any other people from Kalipell/Helena/Polson area wanna go. We still have openings. Let me know.

Not much longer guys. I can hardly wait.

Anyone interested in a couple's trip in LATE Aug? We have 2 couples going so far. Any couples interested?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Any other people from Kalipell/Helena/Polson area wanna go. We still have openings. Let me know.

Not much longer guys. I can hardly wait.

Anyone interested in a couple's trip in LATE Aug? We have 2 couples going so far. Any couples interested?
I'd be interested if the other couples are swingers. :biggrin:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dates for couples Whistler trip are AUG 15-23. We have 3 couples so far. Anyone else interested? We might have a few guys without their significant other. If you are interested let me know.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had one guy back out in my group. He forgot to get a passport. No refunds for stupidity. Looks like its just me and DISCOMBOB in my group. It looks like we will have 9 guys total.

Update. I tore something in my shoulder yesterday while riding. Im going to take it easy all week and ice and heat it. I hope I can still go to Whistler. CRAP :(

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We are in Whistler now and the trails are awesome. Original Sin was a little muddy the other day, but should be fine today. The arm is sore but hanging in there. Its been had pulling up on the bigger jumps. We have been averaging 30 miles of DH a day. The Shore is next.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
The Whistler trip with Kanter, Venom, MikeyMT and the others (who I'm not sure if they are on this forum or not) was great. I finally got to ride the North Shore, and it is absolutely awesome... trail disneyland for gearheads.

I was so excited, I even rode a bunch of skinnies and logs many feet from the ground and didn't fall. What a great trip... AGAIN!

Anyone ridden lift-accessed in Big Sky yet? How are the trails this summer of 2009? That mountain was my first love and I'm hoping progress will eventually be made on the new stuff. If I go up there this year, I'm going to try and provide them some constructive critique after what I've seen in Canada!

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Trip was AWESOME. 10 guys showed up and everyone ripped. We had guys from 24-48 yo.

The August trip dates and schedule will be posted soon.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I didnt get many pics but here are a few.
pics from the SHORE

Teeter totter

Crazy rock roller

Skinny with a ton of body language.

Watch that front tire!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

2010 Whistler Trip

What does everyone want to do? Id like to do the same trip as last year.
Silver Star
Whistler
Shore

Ideas? Brandon wants to just do Whistler and ride local trails, Pemberton, and Squamish.

Last edited:

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I'm thinking Whistler & the Shore with Bellingham thrown in either at the beginning or the end for a day.....now that Tim is there.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
The same trip sounds great, but it was long for some of the crew.

More time on the North Shore when it is a little less hot out is what I want out of the next trip. Being there was just unbelievable... yes, the shuttling is a bit of work, but I just felt like we were in a dream the entire time. They are certainly some of the best trails in the world!

Silver Star was also almost too good to pass up... it just felt peaceful and inviting and the trails are so flowy/new school that they even make ME feel like an ace rider. I'd rather not miss this place, but whatever we all come to a consensus on is fine with me.

Kanter, you know I'm down for those extended trips even though I got a little ragged the last day or two of the last trip at over 10 days of solid shredding, including the day I spent on the continental divide before arriving in Kalispell!

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id like to do the same trip as last year, but hit the newer trails on the Shore. I know Ben will like Silver Star. Id hate to skip it, unless we try Sun Peaks. Ive ridden Sun Peaks and it was pretty nice, but the days I went it was SUPER dry.

Anyone else?
Keep in mind Crank Worx is Aug 7-15, 2010. We should shoot for the week after.

Last edited:

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I'd love to spend more time on the Shore this year. I agree w/ Brad on that for sure. Definitely a dream-world.....and I felt like I barely scratched the surface there. More importantly....I felt like my riding was 'a little off' those 2 days this year. I need vindication!!!!!

We could do Silver Star (or Fernie) on a shorter 4-day weekend or something. :)

--Ben

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
July 23-31
Dates are set in stone and my reservations are made!!

If anyone else wants to go PM me. It looks like we have 10 riders from all over Montana meeting up. We are going to stay in Whistler the entire week and ride the resort, local trails, and the Shore... then on to Bellingham for as few days.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
3 weeks till the Whistler trip!! I can hardly wait. Looks like 2 guys backed out at the last minute, but both had good reasons. Im still waiting on the darn passport. I just noticed it expired a few months back!!

We have room if anyone is interested. Im still begging Ron to go. Joe and Ron on the same hill would be awesome. Id say they are probably 2 of the best 48-49 yo DH riders in Montana!

PM me or VENOM600 if anyone is interested.

I cant wait for Merlin's burgers and beers!!!