Quantcast

Montana

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
They have some lift serve but I think they have scaled it back. moonlight is supposed tohave done some trail building also

mbfl13

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Great Falls, Montana
I checked out the big sky site and from what i could gather it seemed like most of there riding was geared towards cross country. What kind of trail building has been going down at moonlight.

P.S. moonlight has a sick jib park

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
Good deal. I'm going to bozeman for college next year does anybody know what the trails are like around there?
There is a ton of excellent riding here in Bozeman. Our riding season is a bit shorter than yours in Great Falls, but it's really good. :D :D

midgetorama

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
Montana
Good riding around Bozeman.

Emerald lake
Hyalite Lake
Mystic Lake
Ramshorn Lake
Buck Creek Ridge to Ousel Falls.
Grassy Mountain
History Rock
South Cottonwood
Truman Gulch
Wapiti
Sypes Canyon
Garnet Mountain

To name a few.

We used to go to Big Sky and DH and it phenomenal, but that was 6 years ago. I don't know if things have changed there or not.

mbfl13

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Great Falls, Montana
i've heard there are ladder bridges and jumps hidden around some of the local trials in bozeman. If anybody would knows where some are and would like to go ride hit me up. I would also like to start building and have been scouting out some spots. If anybody would like a hand in any construction once again hit me up.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yep, not too much anymore. kinda burned out on everything around me and its far too expensive to drive to big sky these days

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
i've heard there are ladder bridges and jumps hidden around some of the local trials in bozeman.
Send me a PM if you're interested in the existing stunts.

You should consider going up to Leverich tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 4). There's a new DH trail being (legally) built up there and they need some folks to help out. Check out this post on MTBR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=4938020&postcount=23
I was up there last Saturday digging on the connector trail at the top. It's going to be nice when it's all done....

--Ben

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I love riding at Big Sky. Those trails are great. If you stay on the riders left, all of the trails are more natural and older. If you go to the riders right, the trails have lots of stunts, jumps, and drops. That place has a lot of flow. Their trail crew does a great job. They have a trail called "elbow" i think, and it has a really long section of skinnies that are really low to the ground. Tons of fun to ride. We make it up there about twice a season when they are actually open. It's a 4 hour drive for us. We love it up there. Usually cooler than utah, and really fun trails. plenty of them to choose from too. Just steer clear of the dude on the banshee hardtail. He's a bit "different".

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
They have a trail called "elbow" i think, and it has a really long section of skinnies that are really low to the ground. Tons of fun to ride.
I think you mean "Lobo"....sick trail. Soul Hole was one of my favorites on the old side of the mountain. I hope they re-open that this year.

Leppah said:
Just steer clear of the dude on the banshee hardtail. He's a bit "different".
LOL......he's pretty protective of the trails up there. I think he has good intentions, but his delivery sucks. His bike is pretty nuts........morphine hardtail w/ a tall ass triple crown. Looks kinda weird, but he rides the **** out of it.

--Ben

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah. That's the one. Lobo.

Soul Hole is awesome too. Long as eff and tons of fun.

Yeah, that dude is nuts. He finally ran his mouth to a few of the wrong people two seasons ago. One of our buddies chased him down and exchanged words with him. He finally mellowed out a bit. He isn't nearly as much of a weeny with us anymore because he recognizes us now. He actually showed some of my buddies some new stuff.

I gotta admit, that dude can ride. Different dude, but sick rider. Riding a hardtail up there is plain dumb with how rocky it is. But he can rip it up. Our friends saw him do the huge double out there on Elbow. That really big one with the ghetto run out. Did it like he was doing it in his sleep. Weird bike. Big arse 888, 24" double wide green wheels, and single speed. But that dude has some skills. Maybe he's finally mellowing out.

He's also built some really cool jumps in a dirt parking lot just up behind that bar and grill by the resort. There are some cool jumps there too. That dude can build.

We found a humongous double up by some of the big houses. impressive. Don't know if he's cleaned it yet. You can find it on youtube.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
I'm going to shed a big fat tear if they don't re-open those trails at Big Sky this year...

I tried calling and they just said that Big Sky Sports is now closed and there is no one to talk to about it until opening day. Great way to plan a vacation :huh:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah. That's going to bum a bunch of us out if they don't open up this season. There are a ton of us from Utah that want to head out there around September. That place is so much fun to ride.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah, that dude is nuts. He finally ran his mouth to a few of the wrong people two seasons ago. One of our buddies chased him down and exchanged words with him. He finally mellowed out a bit. He isn't nearly as much of a weeny with us anymore because he recognizes us now. He actually showed some of my buddies some new stuff.

I gotta admit, that dude can ride. Different dude, but sick rider. Riding a hardtail up there is plain dumb with how rocky it is. But he can rip it up. Our friends saw him do the huge double out there on Elbow. That really big one with the ghetto run out. Did it like he was doing it in his sleep. Weird bike. Big arse 888, 24" double wide green wheels, and single speed. But that dude has some skills. Maybe he's finally mellowing out.

He's also built some really cool jumps in a dirt parking lot just up behind that bar and grill by the resort. There are some cool jumps there too. That dude can build.

We found a humongous double up by some of the big houses. impressive. Don't know if he's cleaned it yet. You can find it on youtube.
was it this guy?

Attachments

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
PRobably should bomabrd Big Lie if with an e-mail campaign. I worked there a couple seasons, never been there in the summer but the vert has got to be Killer. Do they run the tram in the summer?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Nope. Wasn't that clown in that picture. Go to Youtube and type in "Big Sky Mountain bike Jump". Should be one of the first to pop up. He comes up short on a huge double.

We went one year and they had a ghetto two person tram going. It sucked. Didn't go up very high and took forever to get our bikes up there.
they usually just have the quad going and it's not on the upper mountain. Still tons of trails to ride out there. You can easily do too many runs out there in a day. We end up calling it quits after about 9 to 11 runs a day.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I heard a rumor that Big Sky isn't opening the fun mountain this summer either. Something about running a completely different lift on a different side of the mountain. If they aren't open on the good side with Lobo, and Keyhole, and soulhole etc, then i'm going to have to figure somewhere else to go this summer.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
I was going to give Kanter the tour of Big Sky this year since it was so much sicker than I thought it was initially. It was my first DH mountain to ride so I was pretty spoiled. After going to Whistler... well, it's not Whistler but definitely was tops until they closed the old, good side of the mountain.

I hate to confirm this since I was really looking forward to riding that side again this year, but I called and they said they are not re-opening Swift Current with access to Lobo, The Vine, Elbow, Keyhole, Soul Hole, Brown Rice, Buffalo Jump and so many other incredible trails, many of which Brian did a lot of work on.

Dang it, I'm so bummed... looks like I'm going to head to Colorado in August instead and check out the resorts west of Denver.

parismt

Chimp
Sep 10, 2009
BozAngles Montucky
I wrote this in an email to a friend who was going to go biking in Bozeman.. thought someone here might enjoy...

1. Emerald Lake is an epic ride . It is south of bozeman in Hylite Canyon. Just go south on 19th for a mile or 2- after the big curve- take a left-(there will be signs for Hylite) drive up that road-- you will love the road- if you have never been on it before- go all the way up past the resevior.. turn left on the road for Palisade falls- and go to the end of the road and you are there.

2. Sypes canyon is really fun. It is north of Boz. Go north on 19th past target and over the interstate- the road curves and there is a gas station on the left side.. turn right.. drive past the golf-country club and just after that about a 1/2 mile turn right on sypes canyon rd.- the sign is hidden and hard to see right after a big tree/bush.

3. also Charlie's Face is really fun- it is by far the steepest ride i have ever been on... it is called that because Charlie fell and left his face there... or something. it is near bear canyon....

4. YOu can buy the Biking Bozeman book - it has a ton of good rides- or by the Bozeman Big Sky recreation map.. ( this is prob. the one to get) it is a great map- waterproof- and has lots of trails and descriptions about them.

5. Go check out Summit Bike and Ski- best bike shop in town- is is half a block south of main on Grand st.... My friend #$#$#$ works there and he can tell you everything about the rides around town- and would probably ride with you if he has the time.... the owner of the shop is also named steve (i think..) hes cool - he is from Fargo.

6. the round house is also an okay shop to check out.

7. if you want fun ride around town in bozeman... Pete's Hill is a classic.. has some traffic so watch out for dogs.. -- start on main-- ride up Wilson street to Kagy- take a left- stay on Kagy untill it starts going up hill- turn left on Church street. stay on the right side-- look for the trail going up up into the hills around the big houses-- then you eventually get on the top of petes and you stay on that till you hit main street again.

8.here is a good website with some info on riding bozeman and the surrounding area...
http://www.gallatinvalleybicycleclub.org/forum/index.php?sid=64aaa596d1fdb59e8947201ee872e821

9. "the wall" is another fun ride... it is on the trail up to mystic lake-- you ride on the old loggin road up to mystic lake- then cross the small creek by the dam and get on the wall trail back to the trailhead. - the wall is short for the wall of death- if you ride it you will know why- i have seen people fall off of it- and it doesnt look very fun- there is always someone riding there and you could probably hook up with someone at the trailhead

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
It's been quite a while since I last checked on this thread, but thank you Paris for your suggestions on Bozeman riding... very nice of you. It is sometimes difficult to find the good spots in Montana.