Quantcast

Monte Vista, CO anyone been there?

So I got an opportunity to take a job with the BLM in Monte Vista, CO, what is this place like, the surrounding area's, etc. Looks like it's off the beaten path quiet aways. Closest DH riding? Closest snowboard area? Chics? etc... It's a govt. job with benifits and retirement, sounds nice because of that and the fact its with the BLM Bureau of Land Management. Insider trail spots and hunting locations are a perk ;)

Attachments

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
NineFingers said:
So I got an opportunity to take a job with the BLM in Monte Vista, CO, what is this place like, the surrounding area's, etc. Looks like it's off the beaten path quiet aways. Closest DH riding? Closest snowboard area? Chics? etc... It's a govt. job with benifits and retirement, sounds nice because of that and the fact its with the BLM Bureau of Land Management. Insider trail spots and hunting locations are a perk ;)
DH riding? You mean lift assisted? Purgatory & Silverton aren't *too* far away.

Snowboard - Wolf Creek, Monarch, Purgatory, and Silverton

Chicks?

Huting? You picked the jackpot, man - the San Juans are all over the place to the west. You hunt elk?

-S.S.-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
Guaranteed she's one of 40 girls at that college.
Actually, it's a beauty school and there's 800 students, about 700 are women and the others are gay men.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
pixelninja said:
If you climb, you're really close to some awesome sport climbing in Penitente Canyon. Great place to camp and climb.

MMMMmmmmmmmmm.......Pen Can. :drool: There's some good XC riding around there too.

Yeah I elk hunt, haven't for years but I grew up in Bozeman, MT. I miss Bozeman like I miss a loved one. I love CO, but never ventured south of Denver, just east and west and north. I know it's within a couple of hours of multiple sick riding spots for both bike and board(durango, crested butte, taos, and all the resorts off I70). But what's in the immediate area? Would it be worth living in Alamosa or one of the other closer towns and commuting? I'm a small town guy, whose been stuck in big cities for the past 10 years and I'd like to maybe start getting back to small town USA, but I don't want to live in dying town USA. I think CO would be epic, as it's in the Rockies(best mountains in the US IMO) and has alot of sunny days, even if it's snowing. If I really consider this job I'll probably fly out there and rent a car to check out the area, but wanted to see what ya'll had to say about it. I'm single again, so this would be a good time to move, but I don't want to move to an area that limits me on finding a good person to possibly marry down the road.

Ohio sucks, which is where I'm at now but my family is here so it helps. Riding here is for the birds, but there is one spot that I like, and if I rode xc, there would be a few more. However, Ohio has alot to offer companionship wise and also furthering my education.

It's a toss up, but living in CO would probably ground me for at least a decade as I just love the Rocky mountains. I think whatever you grew up in, is ultimately what you end up going back to.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
NineFingers said:
<snip> I think CO would be epic, as it's in the Rockies(best mountains in the US IMO)
The San Juans, are, IMO the best mountains in Colorado. And you'd be right in the midst of them. :thumb:

Closest skiing to Monte Vista will be Wolf Creek. Which has some really fabulous conditions and decent terrain.

I think whatever you grew up in, is ultimately what you end up going back to.
Hogwash. I grew up in Michigan. But I *BELONG* in the Rocky Mountains....... and I shan't move back to Michigan. :p

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles said:
Hogwash. I grew up in Michigan. But I *BELONG* in the Rocky Mountains....... and I shan't move back to Michigan. :p

-S.S.-
Let me refraze that then..."I grew up in a sick location, and for those of us who grew up in sick locations ultimately want to end back up where they were from because it was SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!, and for those who discover siiick spots, tend to stay, like skaredshtles. :eviltongu

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
bozeman is the **** but missoula is the **** (cat griz rivalry ya know) monte vista will be like the bo zone but differnt during each season. also the mtns are differnt up there. the hunting is wayyy better than in bozeman for elk. and whoever said anything about ohio, have you ever been to miami ohio? 6 of my smoking hot girlfriends from highschool go there and they look decent compared to most of there friends there. also denison has some bangin hussies along with ohio state (almost went to denison)

dexter said:
bozeman is the **** but missoula is the **** (cat griz rivalry ya know) monte vista will be like the bo zone but differnt during each season. also the mtns are differnt up there. the hunting is wayyy better than in bozeman for elk. and whoever said anything about ohio, have you ever been to miami ohio? 6 of my smoking hot girlfriends from highschool go there and they look decent compared to most of there friends there. also denison has some bangin hussies along with ohio state (almost went to denison)
Enjoy Missoula you pb, man I wish I was in MT still... there's some sick freeriding to be had there! Ohio is ok, haven't been to miami, but there's chicks all over this place, the hard thing to do is find one you click with, then convince her to move to some small town in the Rockies lol... As someone else put it, they don't last long and normally head home. I just hope I don't get stuck here in OH if I find a cutie, it's ok, but not the Rocky Mtn.s by anymeans...

I haven't been to Monte Vista, but I hardly doubt it compares to Bozeman. Bozeman blows Missoula and there stupid grizzy's outa the water because it has the best snowboarding MT offers. :eviltongu

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
dexter said:
Dude - you should STFU. :rolleyes: Every time you open your mouth, some amount of incomprehesible blather comes out. :think:

-S.S.-