Quantcast

Montesano gates open?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Does anyone know FOR SURE if the gates are open down at Monte? I was thinking of going down there tomorrow to get the new bike set up. Any help would rule!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you go in the back way - The road just before Val Vista you will find the gate open year round. I am not sure of the road name but its the one directly across from the big old barn, heading west from Monte hang a right and just follow that line in... being somewhat local I have no idea what the lines are called but you will have access to the entire tree farm with XC and the DH race course. That is all I know since that is the only entrance I use.

X-C Phantom

Chimp
Dec 9, 2004
Puget Sound
Serial Midget said:
If you go in the back way - The road just before Val Vista you will find the gate open year round. I am not sure of the road name but its the one directly across from the big old barn, heading west from Monte hang a right and just follow that line in... being somewhat local I have no idea what the lines are called but you will have access to the entire tree farm with XC and the DH race course. That is all I know since that is the only entrance I use.
OK somebody show me Montesano too! Please!!! :think:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - click the link to the Montesano Tree Farm map.

The easiest way to get to the trails is to take the A-Line in from the big barn which is west of Montesano, you will be taking a right. The very next road is Val Vista - if you see that you have gone too far, go back one road. This road turns into the A-Line - stay on the A-Line and hang a left on the B-Line, if you follow the A-Line you will come to a gate pretty quickly. Take the B-Line all the way down and cross the wood brige - you can only go one way because of the gates. This will put you on A-2500 for a short distance then you will be forced to take a right due to another gate that is closed. You will now be on the D-Line - follow that until you hit the first opportunity to turn right, just past the gas lines - on the map that is where the DH trail ends, just follow the road too the top. :thumb:

Getting to the XC trails is even easier but be prepared for a fair anount od DH and some technical bits. If you are unfamiliar with the area it might be best to ride with someone who does. The best loops are not easily described... but I will try.

I usually park at the junction of the A-Line and A-1400. From there it is just a short pedal down the A-Line to the Sylvia Ridge Trail (not titled on Map but runs next to the A & b lines) the trail head is not easy to find because it is not marked. Look at the map and keep your eyes open. This trail is true XC but gets a little DHish once you are following the B-Line. The trail dumps you out on the B-Line - follow that a short distance and take the first right where you see yellow gates. This is a pedestrian "trail" that is boring as hell. Follow that until you come to the park, stay right and head over the damm. This is the lower loop that is great XC with a nice climb. On the map it is the trail below the river. You have to cross the river via a bridge, the map leads you to think that there is no other choice but... the trail actullu continues on for several miles, if you get to a section that is straight with a slight grade you need to turn back and go find the bridge. Once you have crossed the river you have 2 ways back up and they are both lung busters. They are the ones leading back to A-1400. There are some side trails that the map does not show just off A-1400. Unmarked and easily missed.

Have fun, take a cell phone in case you get lost. ;)

Tree Farm Map

Huckermatt

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
South Lake, WA
What up holliswood, As far as I know the gate is open year round. (to the regular way). But I have not been there since the weekend before thanksgiving, so FOR SHO' i do not know...........later

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Serial Midget said:
Thanks man! I usually go in at the east end of the DH course but if the gate you go through is open, I am sure the other one is too. :thumb: