Quantcast

Montpelier VT Trails?

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
So I'm considering going to school in Montpelier VT. I went and visited the college and it seems like there has to be some trails around there. I'm more interested in DH/freeride stuff, anybody know the area well? I'm just trying to see what's around. I know that Sugarbush, and the mountains near by have some stuff, but I'm looking for (free) public trials that I could just ride to, when I have a chance.

Thanks.

scharny

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Check out the Montpelier Area Mt Bike Association - http://www.bikemamba.org/email.php

They manage local trails.

DH type stuff exists in the area. Ask the guys at Onion River Sports to show you "The Zone". Make sure that when you ask them, you buy at least a powerbar or a tube at the shop.

Other places for Downhill are Northfield Ski Area. This is an abandoned ski area without a lift, but apparently some serious freeride/DH stuff is evolving there. Its about a 15 minute drive from Montpelier. (there is a thread about this on mtbr.com forums)

Also nearby are the trails in Waterbury at Perry Hill. Call 5 Hills Cyclery in Waterbury and get George to give you a tour. Plenty of stuff in there to give you what you're looking for. That's about a 20 minute drive from Montpelier.

Sugarbush Mtn Ski Resort and Bolton Valley Ski Resort are both about a 30 min drive from Montpelier and they have lift-accessed mt biking with some ramps, jumps, all kindsa implements of destruction. Both open mid-late June I think.

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
Thanks,

I knew about Sugarbush and google mapped it to see how far it was.

I'm more interested in the local trails in the town, since I probably won't have a car for a while.

But if I do get a car I wouldn't hesitate going there on my time off.