Quantcast

Montreal?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Calgon take me away...to Montreal! Moving up there in about 6 weeks for a 2 years assignment. Any of you monkeys local up there? How do you rate it?

All the usual stuff online sounds promising...particularly the proximity to good biking and boarding.

More importantly: can good mexican food be found?

This single shortcoming has driven me from NZ...

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Haha!

Montreal is full of french people.

At least you'll be able to get poutine on a regular basis...
It's awesome with bacon mixed in.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
mmmm....poutine...what a tri-fecta!
Not sure on whereabouts...probably downtown-ish. I would like to be close to our office.
How are the bike parks?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
where abouts are you Splat? I have been eyeing your photo's of east coast gnar-core for several years now...

I plan on trading in my pine-needley trails for leaf strewn rocks pretty quick smart.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Taken Aug 6 last summer - thermometer in the car
You baby. It's not so bad.

If your office is downtown, you should live in St-Henri. Best bang for the buck if you want to avoid the need for a car. And if you do have a car, you can park it.

The riding is good in the Monch. It's no Vancouver of course...

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
What does it make up to 80F ?
I spent 2 months there, the weather was horrible. July and August, temps about 90f, humidity about 98% in Old Port where I was staying. Just swampy type weather.

I didn't find any good Mexican places, but if ya want a good bar, look for Foufounes Eletrique, I think thats how ya spell it, just ask for the Foof. Sounds fruity as can be, but it's a good fuggin time.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I may do a lot things in Montreal...but going to an unknow French bar and requesting a Foof is not one of them.
102? Jeebus! Wikipedia tells me that does not happen very often...

The Monch? The Vank? I feel so out of touch all the way down in the...the...the Zeal?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I may do a lot things in Montreal...but going to an unknow French bar and requesting a Foof is not one of them.
102? Jeebus! Wikipedia tells me that does not happen very often...

The Monch? The Vank? I feel so out of touch all the way down in the...the...the Zeal?
Folks to talk to for local info would be dave and Isa on AllezY net
they are both really cool, I hosted them for a lil bit when they came to NZ on a mountain bike trip.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
say mawnt-real and speak like a 'merican. then proceed to insult the frenchies, it will be a good time.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Folks to talk to for local info would be dave and Isa on AllezY net
they are both really cool, I hosted them for a lil bit when they came to NZ on a mountain bike trip.
Actually, Deyv and Isa just moved to Sherbrooke 2 weeks ago but they're still a few monkey left in Montreal.

The trail guide for the whole area is available on www.AllezY.net/rep_sentiers if you're looking for places to ride.

We only have pretty average mexi food, but we have a bunch of awesome micro brew in town.

You have 2 options left for park riding in Montreal area: either the South Park (Brossard, 10 min south of downtown Mtl) or Ugly Ass Bike (in Verdun area, 10 min west downtown). Different styles but both are interesting in their own way.

They're currently no official mtb trails on the Montreal island but I'm working on it. After 2 years of advocacy/lobbying, we've found a spot where we would be welcome. Expect at least some trails in town within a year. Until then, you can enjoy the illegal trails on Mount Royal... but I didn't told you that!

-Jerome

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I have been working on it: mown-reyal?
good link...but dude; where's my english button? No speaky frenchy.

With a couple of bike parks within driving distance, its going to be hard not to have a good time.

Good micro brew is a worthy alternative to fresh-mex.