Quantcast

Moral delimma...what to do

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
so i was backing into my driveway this morning and my neighbor (unbeknownst to me at the time) tried to squeeze past my bumper.
needless to say she didnt make it and we had a minor collision. the damage to my vehicle is quite minor.

the delimma is this. she is a russian immigrant, young, and working two jobs. i really could just look the other way and live with the dent in my bumper, or file a claim and screw her over as im sure insurance for her has to be fairly expensive.

what to do?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Let it go.

I had a 16 year old with a new license back in to me a couple years ago while sitting at the exit of a store. The damage was pretty minor to the bumper, it popped right out but there was damage to the paint and it was a new car. I got all her info, got an estimate for like $600 and stopped by to give it to her and her parents. Her mom (in a wheelchair) so they would pay it but they had to wait for her disability check. I said the heck with and just let it go.

J

JRB

Mike B. said:
Let it go.

I had a 16 year old with a new license back in to me a couple years ago while sitting at the exit of a store. The damage was pretty minor to the bumper, it popped right out but there was damage to the paint and it was a new car. I got all her info, got an estimate for like $600 and stopped by to give it to her and her parents. Her mom (in a wheelchair) so they would pay it but they had to wait for her disability check. I said the heck with and just let it go.
Good karma, bro.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd leave insurance out of it entirely, and get an estimate to fix it. Approach her with it and if she seems like it's going to keep her from eating for a week, then maybe look the other way, otherwise see if she can work out a payment.

Frankly, even if you didn't want to be a nice guy, she's your neighbor. Don't want bad will there.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well.. going through the insurance would wind up screwing you as even though it is not your fault your premium will go up. maybe she will be willing to pay out of pocket?? or maybe you should work it out in trade :)

we need pics of her and the dent please and thank you

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Mike B. said:
Let it go.

wow mike b you are the first person that i have ever heard of living in horseheads... my grndparents used to have a house on rt 13 ....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Where do you live with all these hot immigrant Russian chics?

Just curious
anywhere on the outerbanks of North Carolina...Dont know what happened in the past year, but when i went there this summer i felt like a minority since i couldnt speak the language of vodka... :nope:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
This is a lot better than the "should I steal this guys 1 GB memory card?" thread. I would say leave it. If it was a normal, upper-middle class American I would pursue it, but this would screw her over in a lot of ways. Her insurance would go up, and then it is just a spiral of debt.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mike B. said:
Let it go.

And as soon as you left, the mom jumped up out her wheelchair, high
fived her daughter, and went out and bought some meth with the money you saved them. :evil: ;)

J

JRB

gnurider1080 said:
let it go. its always nice to be on the good side of a hot russian chick.
No kidding euro pr0n is where it's at. :sneaky:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
hooples3 said:
wow mike b you are the first person that i have ever heard of living in horseheads... my grndparents used to have a house on rt 13 ....
cool, I've only lived here about 4 years. The road riding is better than the mountain but I'll live.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Jeremy R said:
And as soon as you left, the mom jumped up out her wheelchair, high
fived her daughter, and went out and bought some meth with the money you saved them. :evil: ;)
Yeah, probably. If it were in one particular town around here, you would certainly be right. I actually ride right by their house on a regular basis and I see them once in a while.

beamer

Chimp
Sep 13, 2005
Springville, Utah
I'd tell her that you noticed the damage and wondered if she saw anything (give her a chance to come clean). I wouldn't feel sorry for her, by not telling you in the first place, she has already lied to you :mad: . If she would have came up to you when it happed I would be more likely to let it slide.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
beamer said:
I'd tell her that you noticed the damage and wondered if she saw anything (give her a chance to come clean). I wouldn't feel sorry for her, by not telling you in the first place, she has already lied to you :mad: . If she would have came up to you when it happed I would be more likely to let it slide.
ummm, err, are we in the same thread?