Quantcast

more 888 ata problems

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im having smore problems with my '08 888 ATA with it not getting full travel.
it seems the fork is only compressing 5" and cannot go any farther into its travel. even with air at very low pressures in both chambers, it still wont compress more than 5" or so. even while riding w/ a twist tie on the fork, it still shows above 5".
anyone else have a similar issue?

oh and the fork was repaired twice in the first two months of having it. the PAR cartridge broke and was stuck 6" down into its stroke.

i hate air forks

Last edited:

Monkey
there's your problem.

jk.

does the 08 air forks use open bath or is it the sealed cartridge deal? I figure in a Bomber fork if all else is working oil level affects travel. But seeing how it is not not just an 08 888, but an 08 888 ATA, I suggest taking advantage of the CS and get it fixed.

just my two cents. God I love working on Zokes from the old days, they just never seemed to want to quit....:monkeydance:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
does the 08 air forks use open bath or is it the sealed cartridge deal? I figure in a Bomber fork if all else is working oil level affects travel. But seeing how it is not not just an 08 888, but an 08 888 ATA, I suggest taking advantage of the CS and get it fixed.
i probably will wind up sending it back for the third time.....again

Is the '08 ATA cart similar to the '07 cart? If similar, remove the PAR piston?
i thought they were different but could be wrong on that. and i havent found anything on how to remove the '08 pistons.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
i thought they were different but could be wrong on that. and i havent found anything on how to remove the '08 pistons.[\Quote]

They looked identical to me...

I was getting a similar problem with mine and only getting about 5-6" of travel. When I opened up the air leg, the tethers that hold the PAR together had snapped and the upper piston was jammed. I've taken it out now and it is better although I've not given them a decent test yet so don't know how much difference it's made.

I'll report back after the weekend...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
problem fixed apparently..

marz replaced my ATA cartridge because of issues w/ "tolerances" with the initial shipment of '08 888's.

lets see how long this "fix" works for

hokuspokus

Chimp
Oct 14, 2008
Poland
At the beggining - sorry 4 eventual mistakes. I'll be glad if someone will correct it.

I had the same problem with my 888 ATA 2008. My friend two.
I've fixed it. Everything is coused by the oil that is getting inside the ATA cartridge. Then capacity of the chambers is lower then supposed and that's why the travel is not full.
If someone wants to fix it by himself - it's realy simple! You just have to turn off bottom screw and remove whole leg. Oil will leak from the bottom. Then turn of this big upper screw by typical cassette lockring remover, and remove cartridge from the leg. Let off all the air from both chambers. Then push a bit bottom valve to the chamber, and remove spring loop from inside of the cartridge. Now You can remove the valve together with PAR piston and some thinn, long tube. Now you just have to pour out the oil from the cartridge and put everything back together in contrariwise order. Remember about puting the oil back to the leg.
If you like you can remove PAR piston together with string, that is holding it. By this you will have nice, smooth work during whole the travel, without harding it at the end.
That's all. Good luck!

Last edited:

azrider44

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
different problem same fork... i am losing 20 to 30 psi at the top every run.. any suggestions.

hokuspokus

Chimp
Oct 14, 2008
Poland
You should check piston O-Ring inside the cartridge, and valve at the top. Simply put some liquid on it and look if there will show some bubbles.

ood luck!

tizz

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
aus
OK, sorry for the g dig but didn't want to start a new thread for this question when this thread was already running, basically my 08 888 ata has been having problems mentioned above where they have been slowly leaking air, which I believe is an o ring problem where the o rings are to small, and I have found letting all the air out of the bottom valve (which leaks alot of grey oil) and then refilling the fork will keep it running well for about 2 weeks untill it starts losing to much air again, my question is, is it ok to just use the fork for the time being with this problemo until I get the time to install larger o rings, or will this be doing damage to the internals somehow? Also, when the air has leaked to much making the fork too soft it sinks down about 40mm or so into its travel extremely easily and has to be manually pulled back out which requires little to no force, is this something to worry about?
Thanks for any help provided.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
tizz: The problem you described is shared by many owners of that fork, overhauling the internals is the only solution.

Had it only been an issue of your fork losing a bit of air and resetting the air pressure from time to time it would have been ok, but when it sinks into it's travel after a week or two you should really have this taken care of A.S.A.P.

Two weeks is actually pretty OK, had you lived in colder climate that time would have been two minutes. :D

tizz

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
aus
tizz: The problem you described is shared by many owners of that fork, overhauling the internals is the only solution.

Had it only been an issue of your fork losing a bit of air and resetting the air pressure from time to time it would have been ok, but when it sinks into it's travel after a week or two you should really have this taken care of A.S.A.P.

Two weeks is actually pretty OK, had you lived in colder climate that time would have been two minutes. :D
Alright thanks for your help mate I will get onto it:thumb:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Marz should have the ATA o-ring kits in stock now. The symptoms in the last couple posts are from o-rings leaking air to the atmosphere or between the positive and negative chambers. Greasing them is a quick fix but replacing them with fresh o-rings is the way to go.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally sending my 888 ATA back in for the 3rd time.
warranty guy said theyll convert it to coil or i can get a 2010 on the cheap