Quantcast

More Argyle contemplation...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ok, let me see if I have this right.

To lower the travel you install some spacers. With what is included you can get down to about 80mm (from 100). What would it take to get down to about 65-70? Is that easily done? I need a A2C of 460.

Also, suspension quality wise, does it feel about the same as my pike, or is the quality less? Weight (keep in mind I have the coil 454, which is more heavy)?

I've just been feeling a little less confident in my fork, and I'm weighing options.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I just happened to post up on the CFR site (I've seen you up on there t1) that I lowered my Argyle 302 by about 40mm. I don't have an A/C measurement but it looks as slammed as your Pike. It took a bolt cutter and $2.50 worth of plastic spacers from Home Depot.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Oh yeah, the Argyle does feel more capable of abuse than the Pike. I've got a Dual Air 426 myself, and I'd say the the Argyle just feels burlier.

Plus RockShox has a real liberal crash replacement policy on the dirt jump fork. I mean, they really have killer CS as it is, just even more so for the Argyle.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Real easy. Read this: Link, there is even an english version (button upper left). With this instructions you can travel between 125 til 0mm!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ok, that wasn't bad except the link to the revelation never came up in English. It seems easy, I just need the specifics on that little piece of pipe and how to make it.

And guys, sorry to break your hearts but the Pike is going to go on the MOB, with the Duke spring. I believe a Psylo spring should work as well, at least thats what others have told me.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Ok, that wasn't bad except the link to the revelation never came up in English. It seems easy, I just need the specifics on that little piece of pipe and how to make it.

And guys, sorry to break your hearts but the Pike is going to go on the MOB, with the Duke spring. I believe a Psylo spring should work as well, at least thats what others have told me.
The "little pipe" is a plastic pipe for cables - it's 16mm on the outside and 13mm on the inside. Can get it in every home improvement shop.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I'd watch out useing a Argyle for heavy street use , our French pro David Desones destroyed his last week getting ready for FISE in May

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm definitly not going to be using my FG for heavy street, that is a trail machine, and light street and park. I can't imagine the Pike is going to fair any better. I don't want a tank on the front, just something that will hold up to slightly more then standard abuse. I jump, there will be some extra "forces" that the fork will need to deal with. I guess I'm just wondering what my best option is. The 4X I understand won't be that much better, I'm not considering RST or Manitou, and Rock Shox stuff just seems to be pretty well thought out, but I could be wrong.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I'd watch out useing a Argyle for heavy street use , our French pro David Desones destroyed his last week getting ready for FISE in May
If we begin to see numerous argyle failures like with the rst jump forks, then I'd say theres cause for concern. Otherwise, one snapped of steer tube is nothing to go ringing the bells about.

hank

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Northeast
I'm a bit late to the party on this one but i just slammed my revelation today-super simple actually. I can post a thread if anyone is interested on how to do it. I actually just used two limit spacers that Rock Shox has included with a reba i have. They snap right on and i can actually still use the travel adjustment too. Kind of an interesting twist..

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This thread is getting confusing since air and coil are being discussed.
To make it clear to everyone:
to lower a Coil rockshox, you need shorter springs.
to lower an Air rockshox, you need limit spacers.

Spacers for an air Rockshox can be ordered as a kit, or may come with your fork, or you can use the travel spacers from a Fox Vanilla 32, or you can use a skateboard truck bushing (or other DIY solution).

I used a Fox Vanilla spacer on my Argyle air and was done with the slam in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Rpet, thanks for throwing that out there.

Care to elaborate on the process, how much travel you currently have, and also how well your fork is working out for you (how much abuse as well to put things in perspective).

Thanks

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Sure man -
I had a stock Argyle 409 (green, air - 100mm). I dropped in a 25mm spacer from the Fox Vanilla, so now it's about 75mm.

There are directions on how to do this in the Rockshox technical guide (look for Reba internal travel adjust).

It's now perfect for the DJs I ride! I rarely ride street or park and suck at it, so all I can say is the fork is great for DJs. My bike is built really light, as I'm 145lbs, relatively smooth and don't go horrendously big. I rarely break parts.

No difference in feel other than being lower and less travel. I just pumped the thing back up to the PSI i wanted and went jumping. easy peasy.

All (most?) of the air Rockshox are meant to be travel adjusted this way, so it's not even really a mod.

-r

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thats awesome! I have my little manual for the Pike and I imagine its in there some place. Its really interesting how easy the mods are on that and it sounds like this will be even easier. Thanks!

Now I just need to find a green 409 for a decent price.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I believe that is the correct kit, though I can't tell you which of those ones is the one to use.

I used a Vanilla spacer that I had taken out of an 06 Vanilla 32 on my XC bike...
like this:

(that is NOT where you put the spacers on Rockshox, to be clear)

hank

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Northeast
T1Maglio-as requested, I made a short PDF of how i slammed my RS AirU-Turn Revelation. I will most likely turn a piece of nylon or Delrin down on a lathe with some specific dimensions but this should do the trick for the time being. But anyone interested in the pdf, PM me your email and i'll send it along. Its a little larger than what the forum allows me to attach...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
That's the right ones, but they are destroyed fast. Use something like this:

Ok, first, what diameter pvc is that. Second, what is the stack height of the All-travel spacer that comes with the Argyle (or Reba, or whatever). I need to lower my fork down to 70mm so since the spacer does 100-80 I figure I need the stack of it to be one and half times that of the stock spacer (right?).

Third, on the left side there is a seal thingie, does that just slide off so I can just slide the PVC on? The spacers snap on so I wondered if that meant the end didn't come off?

Thanks. Team mastercard hooked me up with an Argyle 409 yesterday, should have it this weekend. I think some of the rest of you are on the team as well. Cheers!

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Ok, first, what diameter pvc is that. Second, what is the stack height of the All-travel spacer that comes with the Argyle (or Reba, or whatever). I need to lower my fork down to 70mm so since the spacer does 100-80 I figure I need the stack of it to be one and half times that of the stock spacer (right?).
Outside: 16mm, Inside: 13mm. The Argyle 409 has 125mm optical travel, if you want to travel it, use this: 125mm ./. X = new travel, x = spacer length.