Quantcast

More bad news-I just got my Neuro report.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
For those of you following the Bicycle accident saga...

A year after I was hit by a car I went to a Neuropsychologist for evaluation. It seems my verbal I.Q. and comprehension are in the 130's, and a verbal-performance difference of 34 points. However in several tests of (COWAT, Trails-A trails-B, and perceptual coding test whatever they are) I was below average or significantly below average.

So the conclusion is that I have significant impairment as the result of my accident and given the length of time since the accident it seems probable I'll have ongoing impairment.

I'm a long way from a vegetable, but damn it, I was an engineer. I really miss the parts of my self I lost in the accident. It's like owning a sports car with a v-8 engine, and one day only six cylinders work, the car is still better than average but you really miss the acceleration the V-8 had.

Has anyone else had impairment of this sort or treated people with impairments? The recommendation is that receive some cognitive therapy to help cope with some of the impairments.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
I don't do cognitive therapy. I specialize in musculoskelatal but have worked with stroke/traumatic brain injury patients. You'd be suprised what the brain can accomidate to in these instances. I'm not sure who to advice you to see but I have read many articles on the the brain's plasticity, that is ability to develop new connections when there is a lose of neurons in another area.

I would suggest talking to your doctor and doing research. Look on the internet and call around. I'm sure you will find someone to help you but your doctor is right, time has a negative impact on recovery so the sooner the better. It doesn't mean you will always be exactly this way. However, because of the injury, it may mean you will never get back to 100%.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Reactor said:
It seems my verbal I.Q. and comprehension are in the 130's...
I'm sorry for all your going through and I wish you the best.

I want to say something funny about you still being a lot smarter than most people, but I didn't think it'd come out right.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
LordOpie said:
I want to say something funny about you still being a lot smarter than most people, but I didn't think it'd come out right.
Don't be, It's one of the few good points. It showed that at worst I'm average, It's just that I was so much better.

The previous I.Q. test I took (about 4 years ago) went to a level of 143. I scored 143. Testing in high school show about 165, and I placed in the top 1/10th of a percent on my SATs.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Reactor said:
Don't be, It's one of the few good points. It showed that at worst I'm average, It's just that I was so much better.

The previous I.Q. test I took (about 4 years ago) went to a level of 143. I scored 143. Testing in high school show about 165, and I placed in the top 1/10th of a percent on my SATs.

Bummer... :(

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
that sucks. :( head injury is something i fear...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Reactor said:
bike accidentally was a year ago.

Sounds like you're naturally just getting dumber.

You should stop surfing the :monkey:

PS: you're smarter than me.