Quantcast

More Big Bear Info

R

Rabie

I'm not sure if this has been circulated, but for those who may have been thinking of taking light/short travel bikes to Big Bear this Summer, I just got word that the face runs will be closed altogether. So yeah.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Direct from Snow Summit's website:

During the summer months Snow Summit transforms its East Mountain Express High Speed Quad into the Scenic Sky Chair. The Scenic Sky Chair then transports hikers, bikers and sightseers on a relaxing 15 minute ride through the San Bernardino National Forest to our 8,200 foot summit. Once at the top, guests can enjoy a BBQ lunch or a snack at the View Haus while taking in the spectacular views of Big Bear Lake and the surrounding valley and mountains. Traditional cross country-style mountain bikers can enjoy several unique roads and trails located outside our permit area. This summer, it is likely that Snow Summit will not offer any trails on our ski runs. Come enjoy the natural beauty our local mountains have to offer every season of the year. A combination of weight, suspension, tire width and other factors will determine which bikes will be permitted to use the sky chair for mountain bike transports.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Man that sucks, I just got into snowboarding and its only $250 for a pass and it includes biking in the summer! I paid $150 last year I think for a season pass for the summer. So it would be like getting snowboarding for only $100! Maybe I will just charge on some XC bike!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am sure many have seen the Sign the Petition thread in the DH forum and the posts about saving DH. I have PMed a couple of folks who posted in the thread who were interisted in trying to get something going and thought that I would post here as well and try to guage interist. If enough people are interisted then we'll get started with a meet and greet.

This is just the very beginning of something that could really work. I don't have anything worked out beyond the fact that I want lift assisted DH in So Cal. I am thinking that this is likely going to be a lot of work, but if we are successful it could mean some very positive changes for the SoCal DH community. There are a few ideas that have been thrown out from trying to force the resort owners to open to us, to presenting our sport to them as a product valuable enough that they can't refuse to sell, to starting a private DH "club".

If anyone is interisted, or has any ideas please let me know. If you have tried something like this, let me know. We can learn from your successes and failures. I know that many of you may have resources and skills that we can use. (I know that we're going to need a lawyer, and someone with contacts with the forest service and the local resorts.) Maybe I'm taking on more than I cam capable of. Maybe not. Whether or not we succeed remains to be seen, but if we don't try then one thing is guaranteed... nothing will change.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
Shyrmp said:
A combination of weight, suspension, tire width and other factors will determine which bikes will be permitted to use the sky chair for mountain bike transports.
I'm set.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Shyrmp said:
Traditional cross country-style mountain bikers can enjoy several unique roads and trails located outside our permit area.
I love riding fireroads. Trails? Probably CDF doubletrack. :(

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Direct from Snow Summit's website:

All you stupid downhillers stay home. We never wanted you here in the first place. Don't think you can shave weight off your dually. It won't matter. We know what to look for.

1) Full face helmet
2) Body armor
3) Tires bigger than this >>> (----------------------)
more to be added ...

Sincerely,

ImaDICK Kun
It still makes me laugh when they say downhillers were building all these illegal trails. Really? Wish someone would have showed me something new. Most of the off mountain trails have been there for years.