Quantcast

More Camera Questions... Digital Rebel vs. 10d

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Is there a huge difference between the digital rebel and the 10d? I really like the 10d, but its just too pricey for me right now.

any help or suggestions are welcome.

and if you know where to get a refurb or used 10d for cheap, please let me know :)

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
BigMike said:
Is there a huge difference between the digital rebel and the 10d? I really like the 10d, but its just too pricey for me right now.

any help or suggestions are welcome.

and if you know where to get a refurb or used 10d for cheap, please let me know :)
The digital rebel feels kinda cheap in your hands. never held a 10d but they are supposed to be alot better built and feeling. they are metal and the rebel is plastic.

the 10d has the custom functions and the rebel doesnt. on the rebel you cant control the flash but on the 10d you can. rebel has a really small buffer for photos. but if you cant afford the 10d it wouldnt really be a big deal having to settle with the rebel.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
try out both cameras in your paws before plunking down any cash. i like the D30/60/10D/20D layout much better than on the digirebel, having used both styles (i had a D30, now a 20D, and my friend has a digirebel). but if you don't mind the lack of wheel, don't miss the custom functions, and like the feel of the digirebel body then it clearly is the better deal.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Silver said:
If you don't have any lenses yet, check out the Nikon D70 as well.
I played with both the D70 and the Digital Rebel and the D70 felt significantly better in terms of build quality, speed of operation, features, and the kit lens is of higher quality than the Rebel's...

Anyhow, the 20D is less than $100 more than the average street price of the 10D if you buy it at newegg.com and has a better feature set, faster startup, AF, etc. Just something to think about.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, I checked out the D70, it has some cool features, but lacks a few others. one of the big ones being that you can't use the screen as a viewfinder.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Yeah, I checked out the D70, it has some cool features, but lacks a few others. one of the big ones being that you can't use the screen as a viewfinder.
You can't use the screen as a viewfinder on most DSLRs.

I can't really think of any affordable ones off the top of my head that you can use the screen as a viewfinder on. The Canon 20Da was just released to Japan and has a partially transmissive mirror which allows the use of the screen as a viewfinder but other than that one...

edit: The 20Da is interesting anyway for anyone who's curious, look here:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021405canoneos20da.asp

It's a specialty update to the 20D that removes the IR filter (as well as incorporating the partially transmissive mirror).