Quantcast

More Craig's List awesomeness.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I post up my truck for sale. It's nothing fancy, but it's functional and I need something bigger. So it's a simple:

1985 Toyota 4x4 lifted for $1000.

Right off the bat I get emails asking if I'd trade for guns, some roofing work, a '90 Mustang, and of course the ever popular "would you take $800 for it?".

Anybody that looks at Craig's List knows that a Toyota 4x4 sells for about $2000 give or take the level of work needed. So why do people think that they would be getting a pristine rig for a grand? I didn't mention I was looking to trade, I asked for $1000.

Then last night I get a guy who's PISSED because I told him I was holding it for a guy after work.
"If he didn't give you money yet, then it's still for sale. First come, first served!"
Man, some people are just jackasses.

Sorry for the rant, but damn.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Haha. I hate when I post stuff on there. I end up going back and forth with some guy over 8-10 emails about the condition of whatever it is, the price, etc. and then it's always the same..." I do not want it at this time"
Which is codeword for "Im a broke bastard who wasted a bunch of your time for my own amusement"
I hate selling crap over the internet.
Im still waiting on a USPS "money order" for my cove. We'll see if it shows. :rolleyes::

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
If they are are some decent guns it could be a good trade...

Craig's list surfers can be annoying but it is useful for getting rid of stuff locally that is to large to ship.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Haha. I hate when I post stuff on there. I end up going back and forth with some guy over 8-10 emails about the condition of whatever it is, the price, etc. and then it's always the same..." I do not want it at this time"
Which is codeword for "Im a broke bastard who wasted a bunch of your time for my own amusement"
I hate selling crap over the internet.
Im still waiting on a USPS "money order" for my cove. We'll see if it shows. :rolleyes::
The quote from the first jackass is part of that. First he offers up a broke ass Mustang. Then says "How about $800". Then he wants a full breakdown and comes back with "Wow, it sure needs a lot". Then he says he will bring me cash right now, but I told him a guy from Dallas (2+ hour drive) wants to look at it, so I told him I would hold it.

He got PISSED! But the other guy is brining me full price. Seemed like a cool guy who knows Toyota's, so why not hold it for a day?

CL is cool for unloading some crap, but sometimes dealing with the jackasses just aint worth the effort.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tip:

First line of anything for sale should read, "READ THIS LISTING CAREFULLY."

Then make sure you put everything in there, and be thorough.
If you are selling it for $1000, and you know it's a good deal, and you won't take $800, then list it as "FIRM" and "NO HAGGLING" and "NO TRADES".

If they come at you with anything else, ignore it.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Tip:

First line of anything for sale should read, "READ THIS LISTING CAREFULLY."

Then make sure you put everything in there, and be thorough.
If you are selling it for $1000, and you know it's a good deal, and you won't take $800, then list it as "FIRM" and "NO HAGGLING" and "NO TRADES".

If they come at you with anything else, ignore it.

They should put that as instructions on the site.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The ad itself is pretty clear. It's not that I wouldn't take $800 for it, but at least look at it first before lowballing me.

I also have a hard time ignoring the idiots. I got about 20 emails in the first hour. Maybe it's because I am asking too little for it, but I only paid $1000 for it, then I put about $800 into it over then last few months.

The offer for guns made me laugh, though. Of all the random things to offer. "How about some meth and a hooker?"

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
The last time I used it I was able to offload a '90 Civic for $2,500 in about 45 minutes. Of course in the first 44 minutes I got emails offering trades for a fiero, an old caprice and asking if I'd take payments.

My biggest irritation has been with sellers actually. "Yeah, it's really clean!" apparently means it's been in a gnarly wreck (new qtr panel, b pillar still munched), had a horrible respray (I could still see the three colors the car used to be), has two different types of wheels, is missing some exterior trim and the interior is two different colors and missing some parts. Or that the clear coat is toast on all horizontal surfaces, there's a 12" gash in the dash and the seats are shredded. Then they get pissed when I'm not interested. "You wasted my time, y0!" Hey asshole, I just drove an hour to look at this piece of ****. If you'd have been honest about it I wouldn't have bothered.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
If they are are some decent guns it could be a good trade...

Craig's list surfers can be annoying but it is useful for getting rid of stuff locally that is to large to ship.
Very true. Guns also hold value for a much longer period of time.

I doubt, though, that anything people are offering him would be a worthwhile trade.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"You wasted my time, y0!" Hey asshole, I just drove an hour to look at this piece of ****. If you'd have been honest about it I wouldn't have bothered.
You're in the east bay, that's just how it goes down there.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
You're in the east bay, that's just how it goes down there.
Actually the one I drove an hour for was in SF proper, near the park I think. From Fremont, to SF at 4:30 in the afternoon mid week, it probably took closer to 1:45. I was pissed but the seller was actually pretty cool. The other one came and met me, I think from the south bay. He was really pissed, told me he already had offers for $500 more than he was asking. Then dropped the price on his listing by $1k inside a week.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Try posting a bike on pinkbike. I posted a Foes Mono w/ti Curnutt, Foes Fork, and a top notch build kit (all of which was less than a year old) on there a couple years back. I specifically put in the add that I wouldn't except trades. Some yank wad e-mails me and offers me his beat P1 and $200. I nicely reminded him that I was asking $3000 and I specifically stated "no trades, cash only." He got pissed, called me some choice words and then argues that it's not a trade because he's offering money too, and $200+the value of his P1 was equal to the cost of my bike. Uh, right. Best thing to do is just ignore the stupid offers, as hard as it is.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I hate that website... I've had terrible experiences. Especially selling cars and bikes. I tried to sell my Iron Horse SGS on there with TONS of fantastic parts for like $800. Mind you, this was over a year and a 1/2 ago, so the bike was only like a year old. I got offers of $350, $400, to which I didn't even reply. Finally sold it with an extra set of tires for $600. Whatever.

When I was trying to sell my Porsche 968, TONS of people came to look at it. I let one person drive it. This fat douche-bag rolls up in a red 968 soft top. He's got a Porsche shirt and hat on, and tons of badges all over his car. Tells me "He's a collector" and "very interested." He looks at the car, seems interested. "I really like it. Let me think it over though. I've already got 4, but I could use this one. It's clean," to which my reply is, "Just let me know either way. I'm an honest seller. All I'd ask for is a return phone call telling me that you're not interested if you change your mind."

No return phone call. Not even from a pompass guy like that.

I did sell a Laptop on Craigslist though. Got a few emails like, "I'm a poor mother who needs a computer. Will you donate?" About 3 days into the posting this woman emails me. "I work close to where you work. $400 seems reasonable. I'll pick it up tomorrow." She stops by the following day, fires up the laptop, says it looks good, and hands me $400 cash. Done deal. I love dealing with people like that.

And she wasn't one of those Craigslisters who says, "Full price sounds reasonable," and then shows up with only part of the money. Those are the REAL douchebags.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I did sell a Laptop on Craigslist though. Got a few emails like, "I'm a poor mother who needs a computer. Will you donate?"
I hate that crap. I've gotten that kinda thing too. Yeah, genius. If I could afford to donate stuff like that don't you think I would have just done it instead of trying to sell it to the craigslist crackheads? I usually reply, "Piss off," because most of the time it's a scam anyways.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
II did sell a Laptop on Craigslist though. Got a few emails like, "I'm a poor mother who needs a computer. Will you donate?"
Have you ever gotten a preacher?

I was selling a guitar and I got the:
"I'm going to use it in my ministry, can you give me a discount, because I'm a preacher?"

No. I don't think so. Your fondness of Jesus does not affect my pricing structure.

Another time I was looking to buy a guitar amp. I found a listing and went to the guys house (which was in the hood) to check it out. I get there and the speakers don't match. I played it and one of the speakers was obviously blown. I tell the guy and he gives me the ol' "No it's fine, I swear, you can trust me 'cause I'm a preacher." WTF dude. It's obviously broken and sounds trashed and just because you're a preacher, I'm supposed to believe you over my own hearing? I hope invoking the Lord's name in a shady business dealing buys you a one way ticket to hell, buddy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I played it and one of the speakers was obviously blown. I tell the guy and he gives me the ol' "No it's fine, I swear, you can trust me 'cause I'm a preacher." WTF dude. It's obviously broken and sounds trashed and just because you're a preacher, I'm supposed to believe you over my own hearing?
Tell him god will smite him for being a dirt bag liar. Then set fire to his house later that night.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Gave away a hot tub once on CL...something like 100 emails a day. Most people asking how big it was, how many jets, etc...stuff that was explicitly in the add. JHFC people are tards.

One guy actually asked if I thought it would fit on the roof rack of his Civic. Being the dick that I am, I assured him it would and he came to look at it. I even offered to supply the manpower to lift it up there, but in the end he decided against it. Too bad, really, because it would have made for some rad pics.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Gave away a hot tub once on CL...something like 100 emails a day. Most people asking how big it was, how many jets, etc...stuff that was explicitly in the add. JHFC people are tards.

One guy actually asked if I thought it would fit on the roof rack of his Civic. Being the dick that I am, I assured him it would and he came to look at it. I even offered to supply the manpower to lift it up there, but in the end he decided against it. Too bad, really, because it would have made for some rad pics.
I saw a guy with a Honda CR250 strapped on its side to the top of a civic with no roof rack at at all going down the interstate. :rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont know man, it was heading the opposite direction, but he either had to remove it or have a sunroof, I couldnt tell. Or, bend it against the spring and still have a huge gouge in the top of his car.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have had only good luck - surprisingly good luck. The best was selling a 3-year old fairly beat but in good shape FS bike. I put "$2750 or best offer" thinking I'd maybe get $2200. The first guy to respond showed up the next day, took it for a spin around the block, and handed me $2750 cash - didn't even try to talk me down.

:monkeydance:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I sold a not-running CA street legal dirt bike on Craigslist a while back. I listed it up for $1200 because it was in really good condition but needed some top end work or some carb work or who knows what. I let the goofy ass hippies look at the bike for almost 2 hours because they had emailed/called me first and I had about 5 other people saying they'd come right over with cash and pick it up. I should mention here that the 2 hours of inspecting the bike involved no real evaluation of what was wrong with it, only a lot of head and ass scratching on their end. They only show up with $1000 knowing full well there are other people willing to pay the full amount....goddamn hippies, death to them all.

Every time I post up some bike part on the local CL, the same goddamn kid replies to EVERY ad offering half of what I put as the asking price.

Often I'll put up an ad for some kind of furniture or household item and I'll get the "charity case" people - "My friend in another city got knocked up by a mental patient and cannot afford this item at your price since she has no money and other habits to support but I am sure we can work something out, with Jesus' blessing, your local tweaker in disguise".

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SOLD! To the first guy who set up a time and stuck to it.

I got about a dozen more emails since I deleted the ad, all I replied to with "Sold, thanks".

One guy asked "When did you sell it?" I replied "At 4:00", to which I got back "Do you know where I could find one like that?" Am I a Toyota dealer now? WTF? My guess is there are other Toyotas still for sale on Craig's List.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
CL can be frustrating at times.

Experience 1:
Selling my old, beat, Honda Accord. The car runs, and everything essential is quite solid. It had a new engine, etc. The body looked like sh!t, and some odds and ends were messed up, but it ran pretty well and went from a to b no problem. I was asking $400 obo, thinking I'd get $300. Guy comes to look at it and offered me $50. I told him I could get the same price for scrap, and for lowballing me so badly I'd do that before sell it to him at that price...I mean...Jesus fvcking Christ, well-running 88 Honda that doesn't leak or burn anything for $400? Am I being a scrooge here? He eventually coughed up $275. I would've told him to bite my ass originally, but I really didn't want to deal with 20 more of this guy so I just offed it.

Experience 2:
I listed an OEM VW roof rack a couple months ago. I was selling it for $60, a damned good deal considering you can't find them cheaper than $100 online used, and they're higher quality/look better than Thule/Yakima stuff. Anyway, hippie chick and two friends show up wanting the rack. I'm thinking it's a done deal after she examines it, and she sees the diagram of her exact car inside one of the towers. Ohhhh...no no no no, she wants me to help her patchouli posse install it. Being the nice guy I am, I begrudgingly agree and attach the thing to her car, after she was convinced it wouldn't fit because the load bars are narrower than the roof (ie: backseat driver while I'm installing your roofrack for free). I'm pretty pissed at hippy chick after all this is said and done, when one of her friends asks "Will you take $35? It's all I have in my wallet."

I took the money and not-so-politely informed her that if the rack wasn't already installed, I'd tell her to fvck off. They promptly left.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I took the money and not-so-politely informed her that if the rack wasn't already installed, I'd tell her to fvck off. They promptly left.
Wow. I would have promptly uninstalled it and then told her to fvck off. You're too nice.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Update!

hey i when away for a few days and my car took a crap !!! it's goin to cost me 800.00 to fix it so i can't buy your bike . sorry to leave you hangin, but i just got home late last nite. sorry bro good luck on the sale .
:rolleyes:

WTF with the excuses? I cannot beleive this bike did not sell with how cheap it was and all the niceness I put with it. Whatever. Im keeping it. Going to make it into a commuter.