Quantcast

More diesel questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheMontashu, Mar 6, 2010.

1. TheMontashu

TheMontashu Pourly Tatteued Jeu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I ended up with a 96 extended cab 2wd 5 speed. I'm using my friends set up to make bio diesel and am good to go on that end. Now I want some more power. I'm planing on a clutch, injectors, turbo, some head gaskets, exhaust temp, boost gauge, and gearing the rear end. Wondering how much power can I crank out with it still driving on the street just fine, and should I really be buying a dual disc clutch if i'm going to tow?

#1 -   Mar 6, 2010

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gonefirefightin

gonefirefightin free wieners

Rep/Likes:
    26 / 102
    Surrounded by Police in a hail of gunfire
    need more info on the rig

#2 -   Mar 6, 2010
  3. TheTruth

TheTruth Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    How about telling us the brand of the truck first of all. Second, bio diesel and power don't go in the same sentence. That is strictly for hippies.

#3 -   Mar 6, 2010
  4. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    oh sorry, it's a 12 valve cummins. I know power and bio don't necessarily mix, but at 50 cents a gallon i'm ganna run it

Everything is completely stock besides being strait piped. oh and i've done the dowel pin fix already

#4 -   Mar 6, 2010
  5. gonefirefightin

Rep/Likes:
    26 / 102
    well first off.

your transmission wont handle much more power as it sits, might want to look into the beef up mods for it before you go anywhere under the hood.

the cheapest and quickest mods to the 12v is a #5 fuel plate (installed foward) cold air induction kit with at least a .05 higher bore injectors (about 75 bucks a piece) and then go full dual cat back 4 inch pipes.

a centerforce clutch kit will be strong enough and will get you by for quite a while.

anything more and you will need to start with a bigger turbo and that will change everything all together.

if you plan on towing you better start beefing up that tranny

#5 -   Mar 6, 2010
  6. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I was under the impression that the NV4500 could handle quite a bit of power and the clutch was the main issue. I thought it was the autos that are crap and need to built to hold any amount of power

I was plannning on doing a bigger turbo, i'm looking basically get as much power as I can and still drive day to day.

#6 -   Mar 6, 2010
  7. gonefirefightin

Rep/Likes:
    26 / 102
    if you are planning on going with a bigger turbo you will be better off going duals then and mapping out your injectors.

the transmission is always your weakest link (next to u joints), they are currently barely holding up to 600 pounds of torque with standard towing. take the time and get it built up before its damaged to bad from excessive torque down the road

#7 -   Mar 6, 2010
  8. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    174 / 1,481
    Rock what you got, it isn't worth the time/money/effort to try to build up. You have plenty of power stock for what a diesel truck is designed for.

#8 -   Mar 7, 2010
  9. Brian HCM#1

Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 12
    Just drive the damn thing.

#9 -   Mar 7, 2010
  10. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    440 / 2,809
    Consider a fart can muffler and a plastic wing.

11. jdcamb

jdcamb Tool Time!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,547
    They have pushed the performance of my civic to that of a GT race car. I now have to fight off the women too. Best reason I could find to max out my credit cards.

12. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695
    Want to elaborate on that a bit? Or was it strictly a hippie slam?

13. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Duals is going to put my boost in the 90 pound range if i'm not mistaken. I'm looking to get in the 50 pound range, basicaly i need enough air to keep the hear down with the injectors from my understanding

From what the diesel shop around here told me, my tranny should handle 600 horse no problem

14. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    175 horse.... yea loads of power.....

15. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    440 / 2,809
    Unless you are racing horsepower is a crock. The real world requires torque and you already have it. Even then, 175 is plenty of power unless you require some sort of dyno-chart to compensate for something. Maybe a GT or SS sticker would make you feel better.

16. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 1,933
    Ummm... lest I be stating the obvious - this is Mooshoo we're talking about. :rolleyes:

17. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695
    Run two small twins. you can balance them pretty damn easily, and it allows them to wind up much faster. Think of it as though your actually feeding two smaller engines, I cant remember the CI of that engine off have, but figure your turbo size to match half what your engine size is, and run twins. Itll wind them up much faster, youll have power much sooner, and being highly more responsive at the throttle.

For the record, properly treated Biofuel runs just the same as regular pump deisel. Hell you can run kerosene, peanut oil, veg oil, soy oil, most all of them you can run straight if you keep them warm and filtered.

I do have a question though, were did you get your supplies for the making of the Biodeisel? Which brands, which supplier ETC? Some pics of your setup? How much are you setup to make in a batch?

18. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    440 / 2,809
    OK. A sticker with Calvin pissing on something.

19. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 8
    Actually, if you're racing it's power-weight ratio. And since TM is starting with a boat anchor, no matter what he does he's probably going to get smoked by a bone-stock Rabbit with a fart-can and decals. He'd be better off spending the couple grand that he's going to pour into this on a homemade turbo'd Civic or a 5.0 Miata as a 2nd car if he wants to go even moderately quick...

20. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    I'm curious what you are going to be doing with this truck that will require that much horsepower? As it has been said, torque is far more important. I might have missed it, but are you towing something big?

21. gfisher270

gfisher270 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
  22. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    ahh, fair enough, so am I going to have to buy 2 turbos or am i going to be adding a second one?

I don't get the supplies, a guy a couple streets up who rides bikes has a set up. I'll get some pics next time i'm over there making some. It's a 100 liter set up

23. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    uhhhh, you can get diesels fast as hell. My friends truck regularly runs 11s and i've seen some diesels go sub 10.

I'm going to be picking up a 5th wheel in the 30-35 foot range. Honestly it's not all about that, I enjoy working on my own stuff and like the idea of having a truck that goes when you smash on it.

24. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0

no words. none.

25. LOOnatic

LOOnatic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    Hucking Race lines at WindRock while i wait for jo
    As a diesel guy who tows a 34' 5th wheel with a 2wd truck i can tel you that you need to probably add airbags in the rear and upgraded brake pads for that much load.
    You'll have better luck researching diesels on a diesel site than on bicycle site:D.
    Try thedieselgarage.com for all brands and ford-trucks.com if you have a Ford

As far as running bio i have towed with a low B5% mixture all the way to B100 % and i think its a draw compared to dino albeit the truck runs a litle quiter and smoother on the plant based bio.

26. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 8
    If you get that thing sub 14sec I'll eat my words... :p

27. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I just did upgraded brake pads, i got the thing and they were questionable so I got some nice ones. I'll look into some air backs

haha, good point, i'm going to start readin up

I should be able to do that

28. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 1,933
    Way to troll. :rofl:

29. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 8
    The only thing dumber than a riced out civic is a riced out pickup truck. It's the same level of mental retardation but in a bigger, heavier, louder and slower package. :thumb:

30. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 1,933
    Yeah - but Mooshoo will attempt it now... just to show you. Yer brilliant, man... totally brilliant! :thumb: :rofl:

31. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    QFT

I don't get it. Sure you CAN do it...but why? A diesel pickup is not a race car...

32. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695
    Cool on the pics, I always like seeing these garage setups.

Youll be wanting to get two smaller turbo's, if you run two of the same you have now, youll slow down the build up of boost. Thats the whole idea of twi turbos, run smaller that combined will give you plenty of air for the entire engine, and get much faster wind up

I love those shows that teach stuff that isnt really true....... Deisel mech.... Bio deisel that is treated and filtered properly.... there is nthing needed to be done otehr than fill up.

This whole, you need a special filter, you need special fuel lines is just total crap. Only reason you would need that is from running half ass bio deisel, IE not checking PH levels, incomplete fitlering of your original product, inadequate seperating of the components, too short of reaction times ETC.....

It really isnt that hard to make Bio deisel, just like any other fuel, the care and precision taken with preperation makes all the difference in the world.

Our project dodge truck we built in school was running consistant tens without troubles. its actually pretty easy to get a deisel that fast...... But you kill your towing capability when you do...... Horsepower, or torque... pick one and balance the vehicle to go with.

33. BadDNA

BadDNA hophead

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 100
    Get yourself an account over at TDR.com, those guys are great for anything Cummins related.

34. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,325
    a sticker of calvin pissing on themontashu's chest.

35. IH8Rice

IH8Rice I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!

Rep/Likes:
    62 / 485
    yep. diesels can be very fast and produce a awesome black smokescreen. but why though

#35 -   Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  36. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Yea but i'm looking to more than double my boost. I don't think getting 2 turbos that are smaller than stock is going to do that

So I can make A fool in am M3 look at a big ass cloud of smoke while my car is full of people, bikes and gear.

37. loco-gringo

loco-gringo Crusading Clamp Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 5
    With montashu, it's more fitting of Calvin pissing himself.

That said, I used a 12v Cummins or a Powerstroke to haul plenty. I know plenty of folks doing the same thing. It was not uncommon to have a 4000 lb trailer with 22 - 24 600 weight steers. Do that math. It's a lot of weight. Taking something that was designed to have super duper torque and trying to add HP is disastrous.

That said, do it. I want to be on the "we told you you're retarded train".

Besides... 12v Cummins were put in "work" trucks and I get the feeling you need not apply. :D

38. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    you don't get laid much, do you?

39. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    440 / 2,809
    In their rear view mirror.

40. TheMontashu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I know I can tow with it as is. But I want more power and I like working on cars. It's called a hobby.......

Oh and I'm not to worried about screwing anything up, a friend of mine works at a performance diesel shop, another friend has 3 12 valves, and the guy across the street has a drag truck that he works on himself. And the 12 valves are stupid simple, like simple enough to me to figure out.