Quantcast

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I know I can tow with it as is. But I want more power and I like working on cars. It's called a hobby.......

Oh and I'm not to worried about screwing anything up, a friend of mine works at a performance diesel shop, another friend has 3 12 valves, and the guy across the street has a drag truck that he works on himself. And the 12 valves are stupid simple, like simple enough to me to figure out.
Everything you replace on a 12v is $100 minimum. There are 6 injectors, a $1000 turbo (if you do it right) and a $600 pump. Have fun dumping dough in that thing.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Everything you replace on a 12v is $100 minimum. There are 6 injectors, a $1000 turbo (if you do it right) and a $600 pump. Have fun dumping dough in that thing.
I don't need a pump, i can just machine down the plate, and my friend can get me injectors for cheep. The big costs are going to be the turbo and clutch. I know what things cost on these things.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
As a diesel guy who tows a 34' 5th wheel with a 2wd truck i can tel you that you need to probably add airbags in the rear and upgraded brake pads for that much load.
You'll have better luck researching diesels on a diesel site than on bicycle site:D.
Try thedieselgarage.com for all brands and ford-trucks.com if you have a Ford

As far as running bio i have towed with a low B5% mixture all the way to B100 % and i think its a draw compared to dino albeit the truck runs a litle quiter and smoother on the plant based bio.
Lou!!! Whats up brother!!!

etard

Chimp
Oct 15, 2009
What' s wrong with wanting to go fast and not having to pay $1 everytime you step on the "GO" pedal??!! Go for it man, if the tranny goes out, replace it.
I would also say that if you are not running freeway alot, just re gear the dif. Seems to work fine on bicycles and motorcycles. Can't pop a power wheelie? Just lose a tooth on the front. Easy peasy

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yea but i'm looking to more than double my boost. I don't think getting 2 turbos that are smaller than stock is going to do that

If you understand what makes a turbo truly work, Yes two smaller turbos can and will create more boost than one big turbo, def better than two big turbos.

two smaller turbos setup properly, will cret more boost, and wind up faster.

This specially in the deisel world, if what is key. Its not exhaust flow that drives a turbo, its exhaust heat. thats how you can have full boost as low rpm. the more heat coming into the turbo, the more it will spin, the faster it will wind up ETC. Trick is to match up your drive turbine witht he heat that will be exiting the engine, also to match up the pump turbine with the size of the motor.

Heat going intot he turbo, equals heat going out. Get a good intercooler to cool off that boosted air your pumping, boost sucks if you dont condense the O2 in it.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
If you understand what makes a turbo truly work, Yes two smaller turbos can and will create more boost than one big turbo, def better than two big turbos.

two smaller turbos setup properly, will cret more boost, and wind up faster.

This specially in the deisel world, if what is key. Its not exhaust flow that drives a turbo, its exhaust heat. thats how you can have full boost as low rpm. the more heat coming into the turbo, the more it will spin, the faster it will wind up ETC. Trick is to match up your drive turbine witht he heat that will be exiting the engine, also to match up the pump turbine with the size of the motor.

Heat going intot he turbo, equals heat going out. Get a good intercooler to cool off that boosted air your pumping, boost sucks if you dont condense the O2 in it.
I understand what your saying about the heat. My friends shop will do all the tuning for me once I get the parts in. They were ganna throw it on the dyno and get it all dialed for like 200$

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
concept:

Pick trucks = Hauling / towing vehicles
Sports cars = go fast rides

any combination of the two is retarded and a waste time/money.
I mean, just look at how awesome the Viper powered Ram's are. Totally a good idea...
Btw, nascar has a race series for idiots like you. It's called the Craftsman Truck Series, and it's for the dumber breed of rednecks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
concept:

Pick trucks = Hauling / towing vehicles
Sports cars = go fast rides

any combination of the two is retarded and a waste time/money.
I mean, just look at how awesome the Viper powered Ram's are. Totally a good idea...
Btw, nascar has a race series for idiots like you. It's called the Craftsman Truck Series, and it's for the dumber breed of rednecks.
I do agree, twin turbo is still a great way to get massive torque out of this truck, and to get it quick. from there itll be all about the programming.

I should probably add this for everyone else..... I do want pics and details when the engine melts. He is after all planning on bolting on alot of after market addons, doubling the boost, and increasing the power in a dramatic way taht the bottom end of the engine was never intended for.... so it should be fun to watch all teh money get poured in and burn up in six months.

Last edited:

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
No no no :rant: Dirty mike has it all wrong. You should run a sequential twin turbo setup not a parallel one. That way you get quick spool and low end AND massive top end! :D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So I can make A fool in am M3 look at a big ass cloud of smoke while my car is full of people, bikes and gear.
Yup, you'll totally show him. Then, just when you're about to pass him in a "cloud of smoke", you'll get to an intersection. Or a slower vehicle. Or a turn. Or a crosswalk. Or a cop. Then suddenly you'll find out why the M3 is a sports car and a pickemup truck isn't. :rofl:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I do agree, twin turbo is still a great way to get massive torque out of this truck, and to get it quick. from there itll be all about the programming.

I should probably add this for everyone else..... I do want pics and details when the engine melts. He is after all planning on bolting on alot of after market addons, doubling the boost, and increasing the power in a dramatic way taht the bottom end of the engine was never intended for.... so it should be fun to watch all teh money get poured in and burn up in six months.
Long as I keep an eye on the exaust temp my motor should be fine, 40 pounds of boost isn't much for that motor. I know people that are getting more than double that and there trucks are still fine

Last edited:

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Long as I keep an eye on the exaust temp my motor should be fine, 40 pounds of boost isn't much for that motor. I know people that are getting more than double that and there trucks are still fine
I don't care what your putting it in, 40 PSI is a s**t ton of boost.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Diesels are totally different than gasers, that block can handle like 100 PSI in it. Stock they run in the 15 20 range
I stand corrected. My apologies. Usually when I talk turbos and boost I'm talking subaru's and boxer engines. However, I still say that a sequential TT setup is your best before for all around performance and drive-ability.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I don't care what your putting it in, 40 PSI is a s**t ton of boost.
RFF is right, thats a **** load of boost, sorry though.... that motor isnt going to be able to handle it for long. Exhaust temp isnt going to tell you enough to keep from melting pistons, heads, or valves insdie the engine. By the time you can read that on teh exhaust temp, itll be too late already.

It seems that montashu has all the answers and has all the friends and neighbors who already know everything ......

IT sounds like he wants to build a sledpulling diesel that is a great street truck on par with fast sports cars:rant:.
Pick one and go with it man.
But seriously, just re gear the diff for hauling and save yourself a long and expensive journey that will yield only frustration from adding power to a motor that will only strain the rest of the system.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
RFF is right, thats a **** load of boost, sorry though.... that motor isnt going to be able to handle it for long. Exhaust temp isnt going to tell you enough to keep from melting pistons, heads, or valves insdie the engine. By the time you can read that on teh exhaust temp, itll be too late already.
it's allot of boost but as long as i keep it under 40 pounds i don't need to sleeve and pin my engine and if I do it right i shouldn't blow anything up unless i'm towing. Which is why my buddy talked me out of doing too much to it. I'm just ganna go with a 3000RPM gov spring, machining the feul plate, some gauges and tuning for now

It seems that montashu has all the answers and has all the friends and neighbors who already know everything ......

IT sounds like he wants to build a sledpulling diesel that is a great street truck on par with fast sports cars:rant:.
Pick one and go with it man.
But seriously, just re gear the diff for hauling and save yourself a long and expensive journey that will yield only frustration from adding power to a motor that will only strain the rest of the system.
I have a 5 speed, so my truck already has the hardest gear you can get for a dana 80. But yea i'm just ganna set this up for towing and keep the power around 300 and then if I can pull the money later buy a truck with a blown auto and build a drag truck

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
But yea i'm just ganna set this up for towing and keep the power around 300 and then if I can pull the money later buy a truck with a blown auto and build a drag truck

What exactly do you have to tow? 30 ft of hipster jeans...or did you just get a lot more fixies that you have to pull around town...or are you just covering it up with american apparel and pbr stickers so that everyone knows your cool?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If it comes in rootbeer, put one of those triple-clamp forks on it!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
What exactly do you have to tow? 30 ft of hipster jeans...or did you just get a lot more fixies that you have to pull around town...or are you just covering it up with american apparel and pbr stickers so that everyone knows your cool?
I'm looking to pick up an RV trailer. and my truck already has PBR stickers, right next to the NRA ones