Quantcast

More ebay BS

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I just was looking at bikes on ebay and noticed 2 sellers selling about 50 different bikes for $399 each (US). Some dude in Spain and a chick in USA. They are connected some how. One minute I'm looking at this guys feedback list then I hit the back button and "the item is no longer available" so I search again and find the same bike under this girls name a minute later with the item location still listed as Spain.

Yipee! $2,000 bikes on ebay for $399 each. Sad ain't it?

Friken thieves

Chris

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Why is it sad if its completely fake? Ebay is all over it which is why when you click the back button its gone...they deleted it. Hopefully you knew that though... :think:

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
It's sad because there are people that steal. It's sad because some of those bikes had bids on them already by the time ebay pulled the plug.

Kudos to ebay for stopping what they can.

For me it's sad because there's still a bike listed that I want from some dude that has no prior ebay transactions, uses really poor grammer, and after reading his email responses to my questions I don't think he even has the bike. I just hate getting my chain pulled.

Anybody have any ideas on how I could insure that I get that bike if it turns out this dude actually does own the bike? (and I win the auction) How can I make sure he sends it after I pay for it via PayPal?

Thanks, I feel better now.

Chris

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Duzitall said:
Anybody have any ideas on how I could insure that I get that bike if it turns out this dude actually does own the bike? (and I win the auction) How can I make sure he sends it after I pay for it via PayPal?

Thanks, I feel better now.

Chris
I buy mucho amounts of stuff from eBay... I built my DH9 from eBay. I will only buy from sellers with good feedback. On a big ticket item like the DH9 frame I would only buy from someone with 100 or more positive feedbacks. AND I checked the feedback of the people who left feedback to make sure it was not the seller padding from multiple accounts. I always use PayPal and only buy through e-bay as they do offer some buyer protection. You can also ask the seller to give you his address and phone number so you can confirm that he is real. It's always a risk but you can minimize it by buying from reputable sellers. Maybe try to find a seller with a high feedback score and that has an e-bay store. Always get a tracking number and ask them to send your stuff signature required. Be home for the delivery so that it does not get stolen from your front porch like my quadangle frame was :( .

Hope it helps, and good luck in your e-bay quest! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Ciaran said:
Hope it helps, and good luck in your e-bay quest! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
It does help, thank you.

This guy says he has a Brooklyn TMX for sale. So desire VS risk is the case for me. His emails are evasive and always end with "email me right away so we can have a deal"

Chris

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Duzitall said:
It does help, thank you.

This guy says he has a Brooklyn TMX for sale. So desire VS risk is the case for me. His emails are evasive and always end with "email me right away so we can have a deal"

Chris
That sounds like a scammer. Evasive email that always end the same and a crazy cheap price. You're better of throwing the money out your car window at high speeds. At least you can watch it fly away.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
ncrider said:
That sounds like a scammer. Evasive email that always end the same and a crazy cheap price. You're better of throwing the money out your car window at high speeds. At least you can watch it fly away.
Agreed.

A friend of mine scored a perfect TMX off ebay last month. It was a good deal at $2.200. I haven't ridden it yet.

Thanks for helping me keep my money.

Chris

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
If you have a shop you deal with ask the seller to ship it to your shop, have your mech. go over the bike and if they give the green light you then paypal the guy. He has the confidence that he is dealing with a shop (he could always look them up and look into them), and you have the confidence that you get to inspect the bike prior to sending money.
You could ask to the split the shipping if you decide that there is something wrong with the bike and you have to send it back. It'll cost you a little more cause you'll have to pay the shop something but for big ticket items like a $2200 TMX I think its worth the extra expense and effort. I think this is totally reasonable and If I were selling something I would agree to it (not for a $40 set of bars but for an expensive transaction). And if the seller won't agree to this then you need to consider how serious the is seller and do you want to do business with this person

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
As I suspected the a-hole thief did not have a Brooklyn for sale. I watched the auction go off at $2,700 and the next day all record of it was gone.

ebay pulled the plug. Today they sent me the security notice that angel_somebodyorother@yahoo was suspended and not to send him any $.

Just thought I'd follow up so others can see what kind of stuff can happen.

Chris