Quantcast

More EVIL Wal-Mart Newz

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
U.S. Foodmakers Blame Wal-Mart for Stunted Prices
Reuters | Wed Feb 18, 2004 | Nichola Groom

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Reuters) - Americans may have noticed that their grocery bills have remained fairly stable, but it may surprise supermarket shoppers to learn that they have retail giant Wal-Mart to thank for keeping a lid on prices.

At an industry conference in Scottsdale, Arizona, this week, makers of foods from cereal to soup lamented the difficulty of raising prices on such household staples when discounters like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. wield so much power over the grocery market.

"Our customers are really slugging it out for retail space, and as long as Wal-Mart and some of the other customers are putting pressure on our customer base, it's going to be a challenging environment for all manufacturers," Campbell Soup Co. Chief Executive Douglas Conant said in an interview.

Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart is the world's largest company by revenue and a dominant player in the U.S grocery business. The massive buying-power of the company's Supercenters, a retail format more than twice as large as its regular discount stores, means Wal-Mart can often buy and sell goods more cheaply than competitors.

As a result, Wal-Mart's suppliers' hands are tied when it comes to pricing, even as their own costs rise.

Fruit and vegetable producer Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc., for instance, signs contracts with Wal-Mart and others before it knows how crop harvests for the year will turn out.

Fresh Del Monte Chairman and CEO Mohammad Abughazaleh said that last year, for instance, poor weather in Florida hurt tomato harvests, driving Fresh Del Monte's tomato costs sky-high -- yet prices on tomatoes at Wal-Mart held firm.

This year, the Coral Gables, Florida, company has enjoyed wider profit margins on tomatoes as production recovered.

Facing higher shipping costs due to a spike in oil prices, Del Monte would love to be able to raise prices. Instead, it hopes a rebound in the economy will increase consumption and help drive down costs.

"If the economy turns around people would have more spending power so they would buy a little bit more food or dine out," Abughazaleh said in an interview. "If we maintain our pricing and move more food overall, costs will come down."

Fresh Del Monte is not the only U.S. food company that has been forced to swallow rising costs.

Even those who have managed to eke out price gains say the meager rise does not come close to covering their costs. Archer Daniels Midland Co., a maker of soft-drink additive high fructose corn syrup, said it raised 2004 prices on HFCS "in the low single digits" to help combat rising corn prices.

But ADM CEO G. Allen Andreas said in an interview the increase was less than the company had hoped, citing the power of customers like soft-drink giants Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo Inc . Analysts had been expecting a rise of around 5 percent.

For ADM and others in the food industry, prices on raw materials like corn and beef have surged in the last year, leaving many struggling to find ways to offset those costs.

Campbell's Conant, for one, said his company would find ways to cut costs in other parts of its business in lieu of raising prices in the near term.

Cereal maker General Mills Inc. said in-store promotions was one way it could help manage higher costs without raising prices, though CEO Steve Sanger said such promotions were only appropriate "in certain circumstances."

"We really do not see a significant pricing opportunity so far at the present time," Sanger said during a presentation at the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference. "This is one that we'll have to manage."

Kraft Foods Inc. has taken a similar approach, pouring more cash into promotions on everything from Nabisco crackers to Kraft cheese in a bid to restore pricing parity and stay competitive after raising its prices last year.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Walmart drives their suppliers to shut down American business and move operations over seas.....
The self-titled buy "Made in America" company is full of crap.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
This is anecdotal at best, but while my 6 month pregnant wife was at the Wal Mart grocery store in our neighborhood, one of the employee's helped her out to her car and help load the groceries.

That has never happened at any of the other grocery stores we go to. As goofy as it might sound, thats why I give Wal Mart my business.

charmin

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by Andyman_1970
This is anecdotal at best, but while my 6 month pregnant wife was at the Wal Mart grocery store in our neighborhood, one of the employee's helped her out to her car and help load the groceries.

That has never happened at any of the other grocery stores we go to. As goofy as it might sound, thats why I give Wal Mart my business.
That was a very nice employee, but stop giving Walmart your business. They are evil (not because of N8's post, obviously his post is supposed to show that Walmart has some redeeming characteristics).

It's ironic that the issue seems to parallel the issue we're having with taxes.

If those companies really are charging less than it costs to make the product, then they can't stay in business very long (or they have to do something about the costs - quality or jobs will suffer). Same things with taxes -- if the government keeps spending more than they bring in, something is going to give.

But more important than some kind of social commentary -- is the fact that Walmart has done very bad things in the past (knowingly left things in stores that harm children and left it that way after it had been pointed out -- i.e. children had gotten harmed). They have bean counters who determine the "collateral damage" and purposely not fess up to whatever ills they have done (i.e. have been sued by 20 different defendants in different states and pretended they never heard of the problem -- admittedly with the advent of the internet, this process has been seriously inhibited).

You can find this information in many different sources. I believe Newsweek just did an article a few months ago.

In retaliation -- some toy makers have set up contracts with Toys R US -- and other independent toy stores -- to give them a 3 month head start before the product is sent to Walmart. (In order to try and keep those independent toy stores afloat -- the manufacturers realize that if Walmart has its way no one will be able to stay in business).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Sounds more like this thread should be titled something more like, Idiotic business procedures that people use when dealing with Wal-Mart... Its not Wally worlds fault that Del-Monte signed a contract before they knew what their crops were worth. "We would love to raise prices"... but we signed a contract that says we won't so we cant.

charmin

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Sounds more like this thread should be titled something more like, Idiotic business procedures that people use when dealing with Wal-Mart... Its not Wally worlds fault that Del-Monte signed a contract before they knew what their crops were worth. "We would love to raise prices"... but we signed a contract that says we won't so we cant.
Now that's just crazy talk.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by charmin
If those companies really are charging less than it costs to make the product, then they can't stay in business very long (or they have to do something about the costs - quality or jobs will suffer).
Actually, their other clients -- in the short-term -- subsidize WM's demand for lower prices. The vendor has to charge more to the other guys to compensate.

Originally posted by golgiaparatus
considering that W-M renegotiates (i'm being kind) contracts with their vendors after signing them, I don't see why Del monte can't as well. The difference is, DM had an unexpected change in circumstances, whereas WM knows in advanced that they'll strongarm the little vendor by demanding a lower price once the vendor has completed the order.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
While I may grumble about them when it comes to music censorship issues(which is also their prerogative in their stores), it's hard to beat them on economies of scale. They are a case study in supply-chain management and an enviable American business, despite the complaints of their detractors. I am not at all ashamed to say I shop there...just not for CDs.

I have my own Andyman story from just two days ago. My wife had two Wally World workers tripping over each other to help her load her purchases into the car. In fact, she didn't load a thing and just carried our daughter while the employees did the labor. No such service at our local grocery stores anymore.

Additionally, it's quite hilarious that ADM would bitch about being bullied by the big kid when that is exactly what they have done and continue to do to private/family farmers.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...it's hard to beat them on economies of scale.
yes, but when do you cross the line from hard negotiating to just being a bully? The FTC will likely look into them soon and perhaps make W-M the first retail store to be declared monopolistic and break 'em up (ala AT&T).

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
While I may grumble about them when it comes to music censorship issues(which is also their prerogative in their stores), it's hard to beat them on economies of scale. They are a case study in supply-chain management and an enviable American business, despite the complaints of their detractors. I am not at all ashamed to say I shop there...just not for CDs.
I agree, the other grocery stores in our neighborhood consistantly cannot beat W-M's prices.

With my wife going to half time after we have our baby (in an effort to raise our own child, but I won't start that whole child care debate) we will loose a hunk of income. So the question becomes, do I shop somewhere with higher prices because of their "business ethics" and run our personal buget with a tighter "margin" because of the higer prices? Granted the savings might not be huge (shopping W-M over other grocery stores) but several dollars a trip in savings can add up over a year.

Being able to "keep the ship afloat" is our priority (as shortsighted as that might seem).

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wal-Mart here is a little more expensive than the local super market chains generally.

Not to mention that Wal-Mart meats are :dead:...