Quantcast

More fried pedals = New pedals.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well... damn. Once again... Speedplay warrantee'd my favorite pedals.... aaaand... the "clip" broke off in my cleat... 2 weeks.

Anyway... 4 failures in 2 seasons is enough for me. I loved the old time carbons, but don't like the new enough to by a pair, so I'm trying the LOOK Quartz. I've been eyeing these for a long time. Look really similar to the old ATAC carbons and function very similar. Plus they are lighter and cheaper and come in 3 colors.

So far so good. First ride last night, no problems to speak of. Anyone else using these? Reviews online are horrible, thinking they must have updated the pedal over the last year or 2 because they work as well as anything else out there IMHO.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Just get times again? They are rebuildable.
The original carbons were indestructable... new ones I hear are not nearly as good in that department, and for $170... f that. Besides, after riding Speedplays for 2 years the lateral slop in the times drives me nuts... they're also pretty heavy. The looks don't have nearly as much lateral slop, plus they are much lighter and cheaper. Win/Win/Win. If Levi can win the LV100 on them, then they should be good enough for me.

BTW I still have my Time Carbons from 2000ish. They function great and I have them lying around as backup pedals. Hopefully the Looks will be as durable and reliable as they have been.

BTW, all white bike with bright red pedals and grips FTMFW.

Last edited:

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
No direct personal experience with the Quartz pedals, but I know a couple of guys who use them (1 of whom I ride with fairly regularly) and it's a 50/50 sort of opinion based on what they say. One of the 2 thinks they're the best things since the original Times. The other has trouble coming unclipped for no apparent reason - otherwise I think he finds them to be decent.

Should the Quartz pedals prove to be as durable as the old Look Moabs (which is doubtful since the Moabs were built to survive the Apocalypse), you'll have much better luck durability wise than with the Speedplays.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Yep those are what I have in my toolbox :) Mine are yellow though.

The other has trouble coming unclipped for no apparent reason - otherwise I think he finds them to be decent.
Thats what I have been reading online... Last night I was testing that... I was trying to come unclipped by jerking my foot in all directions... never a problem. Only come unclipped when I turn the foot past 15 degrees. Hopefully the problem doesn't develop over time.