Quantcast

more home improvement

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bump.

after being in our house for a year, we have determined that we require additional attic insulation as well.

Eric - did you price out what it would cost if you had done the job yourself? that's the route i'm going. i'm leaning towards blow-in insulation, since a roll of fiberglass crap won't fit through the access port to the attic.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Eric - did you price out what it would cost if you had done the job yourself? that's the route i'm going. i'm leaning towards blow-in insulation, since a roll of fiberglass crap won't fit through the access port to the attic.
I've been looking into this. Price depends on how much you need to reach what ever "R" level you want. Fiberglass blow in is $35 a bale locally. The Home Depot will give you the machine for 24 hours if you buy 10 or more bales. Supposedly pretty easy for 2 or more people, should only take an afternoon if you're already prepped when you pick up the machine and fiberglass. I still need to get up in the attic and check out how deep our insulation is, but it seems that I ought to be able to reach a respectable "R" level in our house for well under $1000, even if we have practically no insulation left.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dunno, haven't read that myself. Maybe that was in regards to cellulose blow in insulation? IIRC Cellulose isn't as rugged as fiberglass, but it's half the price.
what i read was to the effect that it settles over time and compresses, which affects its thermal insulation capabilities.

i also found that fiberglass is available as batts (pre-cut sections). those might fit in through the access hatch to the attic.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Batts are easy "if" you have an open attic. I did my place in the mountains for $450 in a few hours by myself

My new house had rooms added on and they left the old roof wood supports in place which made areas that I could not access which is why I went blow in.

As far as DYI with blow in I will pass. You need to wear a respirator, eye protection and a full tyvex suit to protect yourself from the fine particulates. I had the crew come in, job was done in 3 hours and I couldn't see a trace of their having been there. They set up a plastic tunnel down the hall and up into the attic to contain any loose particulates then vacuumed up for good measure

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks for the info.

my attic is open, albeit very low. i'd say 3 or 4 feet in the center, then slopes down. the access hatch is something like 2' by 2' feet. and in a closet.

trying to do this myself to keep cost down.

also, i might do the tyvek suit anyways just so i can run around looking like walter white

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
thanks for the info.

my attic is open, albeit very low. i'd say 3 or 4 feet in the center, then slopes down. the access hatch is something like 2' by 2' feet. and in a closet.

trying to do this myself to keep cost down.

also, i might do the tyvek suit anyways just so i can run around looking like walter white
get the plastic enclosed fiberglass batts which you can unroll then pull up through the hatch. get at least R30 or you are wasting time and money

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
get the plastic enclosed fiberglass batts which you can unroll then pull up through the hatch. get at least R30 or you are wasting time and money
i was not aware there was such a thing. great info.

i was gonna go with something like R38 (highest available locally). i'm considering doing a second layer to cover the joists as well, since i've read those can transfer heat also.

do i need to remove the old insulation first? it's the roll fiberglass stuff, probably from when the house was first built (early 60's)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
just roll oved the old stuff. too much dust, mouse turd and hassle, plus it adds to the layer of insulation.
This is part of the price variability with the blow in stuff as well. How much you need to buy will depend on how much is already in your attic. You just blow the stuff in on top of what ever you already have to reach what ever "R" value you want.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is part of the price variability with the blow in stuff as well. How much you need to buy will depend on how much is already in your attic. You just blow the stuff in on top of what ever you already have to reach what ever "R" value you want.
also, i realize now i should have bought a hobbit hole.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
shocker. the resident deadbeat suggests having someone else do it :rolleyes:
He and Eric are spot on. Insulation installs suck. Hire it out and ride platty for an afternoon instead. DIY usually doesn't qualify for utility rebates either, at least here where 75% of the costs are refunded by the town making the end cost similar to DIY but without the effort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my township doesn't have any such tax credits.

the federal tax credit for insulation only covers up to $500 in materials, and not installation (you can even qualify for DIY installation). this also expired in 2013, so not sure how its going to change for 2014.

i'm checking on state, but everything i'm finding so far is out of date.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Check your utility company for rebates. It's through the town for me because we have our own electric company, other areas are through the state/utility.

Companies who to energy audits are usually a good source of rebate info as they use subsidies as their sales pitch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My advice has changed - get after it, young man!

Let the ungrateful prick find out for himself. :D
i've dealt with fiberglass before. it's not a problem as long as you take appropriate precautions and know how to handle it. i'm not gonna be doing this in cutoff stone wash jeans and a nascar shirt.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
is it normal to have to pay for the audit?
I've been getting a lot of free offers lately.
Check out your local farmers market/whole foods; several of the larger companies here have tables there offering free audits.

The larger companies offering solar, heat pumps, and to a degree insulation usually make the offer since they're selling big ticket items.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I did this in my house about 5 years ago. I am a BIG proponent of DIY, and if I had to do it again I would gladly pay someone else to do it. My only other advice is, be sure to take time & deal with any infiltration issues before you insulate, an audit with a blower door test can help find any, or just visual inspection of existing insulation usually shows telltale signs of infiltration.
Some states require that utilities pay for the audit, others make you pay out of pocket, and some make you pay for some additional measurement things (like a blower door test, or an infrared scan test). It's worth doing an audit either way, especially if you plan on staying in the house for any length of time, and most especially if you have to heat it more than 4-5 months a year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been getting a lot of free offers lately.
Check out your local farmers market/whole foods; several of the larger companies here have tables there offering free audits.

The larger companies offering solar, heat pumps, and to a degree insulation usually make the offer since they're selling big ticket items.
i checked my electric company, they will only issue rebates when they perform the audit and a contractor that they have "approved" performs the work. plus the audit itself costs over $100, which is non-refundable, and they would have to "recommend" that my house needs insulation. seems scammy to me.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I usually just tuck the loose end into the bridge of my Camel sunglasses when I need a swig or some fresh dip

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
i was gonna drill a hole in my respirator to run a hose from my beer helmet.
Are you sure you're not a licensed contractor?
That's how sydasti drank his kombucha while single-handedly revolutionizing his industry's energy consumption standards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you sure you're not a licensed contractor?
That's how sydasti drank his kombucha while single-handedly revolutionizing his industry's energy consumption standards.
i'm surprised he hasn't shown up here yet. i'd offer to let him do the work, then pay him in kale, alfalfa, and compost.