Quantcast

More info on the Thomson DM stem

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
ZOMFG another integrated stem!! It's...about the same weight...and probably same strength...and about the same geometry as everything else out there!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
thomson is ISO 9001.

end thread.

p.s ordered a masterpiece yesterday,wen can I get a dm stem for my 40.

p.s.s all other stems in thread other then point1,are horrific.

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
sub 100 grams for a stem is just retarded...lose your dj saddle and your there. Especially for DH bikes...you really wanna hang it out on that tiny piece of metal. Some of this stuff is getting outta control. Too much road influence these days....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Guh. I worked in a print shop for years and went through the whole ISO process.

What a waste of time and money, to have books all over the place describing my job to me... Not a selling point, more of a gimmick.
Worked in finishing anf 8k for aero and 9k for aviation is what we started in place. We did some military samples and had a open door to bid a boeing contract that would have gone good had the shop been cert'd.

Dont know about printing but in the NW especially with all the stuff in tricites, oregon and seattle it was a good thing to have.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ISO 9001 in a print shop? Strange.

It's a phenomenal certification, but not really useful in the small scale production arena. But in mid to high end production environments, it's very important. It sets the bar to make sure you provide the best level of production, service, safety and uniform quality when dealing in a high traffic, high volume and varied environment.

The "ISO 9001 for Dummies" would read..."We make quality pieces fast and won't go out of business any time soon because the fork lift driver isn't ripping off the roof or impaling engineers."

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
ISO 9001 in a print shop? Strange.

It's a phenomenal certification, but not really useful in the small scale production arena. But in mid to high end production environments, it's very important. It sets the bar to make sure you provide the best level of production, service, safety and uniform quality when dealing in a high traffic, high volume and varied environment.

The "ISO 9001 for Dummies" would read..."We make quality pieces fast and won't go out of business any time soon because the fork lift driver isn't ripping off the roof or impaling engineers."
The print shop I worked for was high count book binding. Small jobs would be around 1000 books. Standard was around 20k. High quality printing too, as we did accounts for photo-chop tutorials...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
The print shop I worked for was high count book binding. Small jobs would be around 1000 books. Standard was around 20k. High quality printing too, as we did accounts for photo-chop tutorials...
Yeah, something tells me ISO took some licensing expansion concepts and got a little carried away. I can imagine it helping your company run a tighter ship, but not to the point that your costs for certification would EVER be made up in increased orders from people desperately needing highest of the high quality print.

Now in automotive...where people DIE if you don't do it perfect all day every day....ISO 9001 is pretty important.;)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
do any manufacturers actually use ISO 9001 in the auto industry?
ISO 9001 was absorbed into a new standard called QS 9000 for the automakers, which was a much larger effort. Now even QS 9000 has been replaced by TS16949. And some car makers use their own systems. It's a continual metamorphesis.

It sounds like a paperwork nightmare (and it indeed it can be), but it can actually be very beneficial to large mass production companies. As someone said earlier though, not relevant to small companies really, where a few folks with pride in what their doing can achieve the same level of quality.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
ISO

Not iso

so win,qft

On a side note,iso is pretty important dealing with million dollar clients.

Organisation is critical in some fields.

Automotive industry I beleive not.Most business's or enterprises are proud and will have it on their site.Some compagnys will only ship with transit lines that are iso.

Its serious business,and so is thomson.

So wen can I get a thomson dm.

Last edited:

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
so win,qft

On a side note,iso is pretty important dealing with million dollar clients.

Organisation is critical in some fields.

Automotive industry I beleive not.Most business's or enterprises are proud and will have it on their site.Some compagnys will only ship with transit lines that are iso.

Its serious business,and so is thomson.

So wen can I get a thomson dm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ISO 9001 was absorbed into a new standard called QS 9000 for the automakers, which was a much larger effort. Now even QS 9000 has been replaced by TS16949. And some car makers use their own systems. It's a continual metamorphesis.

It sounds like a paperwork nightmare (and it indeed it can be), but it can actually be very beneficial to large mass production companies. As someone said earlier though, not relevant to small companies really, where a few folks with pride in what their doing can achieve the same level of quality.
THIS^

Continental Teves brake foundations and Borg Warner turbo systems both participate in one of the above, if not more than one certification system.
I know specifically Germany and England have multiple supply chains that focus on these standards.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
the factory in TW that was pumping out the wonky Evil Revolt frames was ISO 9001 certified...

...which tells you all you need to know about the reliability of the standard ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
the factory in TW that was pumping out the wonky Evil Revolt frames was ISO 9001 certified...

...which tells you all you need to know about the reliability of the standard ;)
Yeah wasn't the cracks due to a stress riser which is a direct result of the design and designer not the actuall company making what they were given plans for.......just a thought.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah wasn't the cracks due to a stress riser which is a direct result of the design and designer not the actuall company making what they were given plans for.......just a thought.
well with all the QC problems they had, the older breaking frames is entirely different issue