Quantcast

More on the New 09 SX Trail

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Certainly what it looks like.

So then it's 'proprietary' only as far as the width of the shaft base/eyelet housing.
I think also fixed is the distance from eyelet to spring retainer, and it still isn't clear to me what the second fixed point is unless the two links slide INTO the spring retainer.

Need to see an exploded diagram... I'm sure it's bomber (you will never, ever bend a mounting pin/axle). However, I also feel like there was probably a way to achieve the same compression curve with a more standardized design and fewer parts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brandon Sloan would probably outride 90% of the people you call 'real mountain bikers'

How many imaginary mountain bikers could he beat? 100%? 0%? :D

You're on crack if you think that the designs they've been putting out lately aren't influenced by some very capable riders.
man i love me some crack! I thought that Specialized had a Magic 8 Ball of bike design.... :bonk:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
it looks like a enduro and a nomad had a ilegitimate love child
I think it looks more like the old SXT's girlfriend. It has a rather feminin look to it compared to the old SXT.

I'm liking the SLs even more. Even come with a Spec brand Gravity Dropper.

I used to love the Demos, but they're beginning to look a little tired. I guess we'll see the revamp next year.

More info on this roadie site if it hasn't been posted yet.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/features/specialized_mtb_intro208

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Hell yeah. I've been telling Santa Claus for YEARS he should hook up with specialized. That dude pins it from rooftop to rooftop.
Santa's a hack. It's all camera work and he never races anymore because he knows he can't win. Show me the podiums.

rhymes with pill

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here is a good pic from Bike Radar that shows the linkage and how it captures the rear shock eyelet to prevent movement.
So let's see...in this pic, the big difference is that the spring retaining clip is not C shaped, but a sold circle. So rather than sliding the spring retaining clip onto a built in groove on the shock, it actually mounts straight into the frame's link (would you call that a dogbone or thrust link or retaining ring thrust link retaining mount doohickey?).

So that little black Y shaped doohickey is a sleeve that fully encompasses the shock's eyelet preventing any wear in that tiny little bushing and serves as the mount for securing it & the retaining clip. It also removes that end of the shock from any element of bushing wear (the one we always seem to have to replace) & puts all movement into the 2 bearings of the frame just behind the seatpost, both of which are way larger & can handle more stress over time...right? But at the same time, those bearings will cost more than 1 tiny little shock bushing. Good, bad, same?

Uh oh...I take that back...so the Y shaped "dogbone thingie" has an opening at the top for the rebound adjuster making the mount for the spring retaining clip C shaped itself? So the only thing it accomplishes is the decrease side loads? Won't that mean it's gonna move & tilt the spring at funny angles to the shock. :confused:

Last edited:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
seems to me that this little wishbone yoke deal is a great idea.

i wouldn't be suprised to see some aftermarked wishbones available for a variety of rear shocks....like, a red wishbone for a roco and lavender wishbone for a vivid (cuz rockshox is teh ghey).:biggrin:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Here's something we can all agree is bad ass.

i disagree! that's $100,000 per load right thur...capable of laying a toxic streak up to 1 mile...they've been dumping that crap all over santa barbara this summer and last summer and now our water supply is tainted with toxic firefighting gel! yay!

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
i disagree! that's $100,000 per load right thur...capable of laying a toxic streak up to 1 mile...they've been dumping that crap all over santa barbara this summer and last summer and now our water supply is tainted with toxic firefighting gel! yay!
I worked on a crew for two summers, and that gel you are so stoked about saves your house bro. What would you rather have, tainted water for a few months and have to drink bottled water (oh the humanity!) or loose all your stuff. :plthumbsdown:

You should be thanking them dude.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
seems to me that this little wishbone yoke deal is a great idea.

i wouldn't be suprised to see some aftermarked wishbones available for a variety of rear shocks....like, a red wishbone for a roco and lavender wishbone for a vivid (cuz rockshox is teh ghey).:biggrin:
True that if it was a cnc machined piece. As it is offering a different forged link for different shocks would be a very expensive endeavor for Specialized.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Brandon rides the T total piss out his stuff. Wyatt is the ultimate crash test dummy too...he really should have that yellow/black thing tattoo'ed on his head.

The Shovla, you really better think before you go muddling the waters with that kind of statement.

And besides, very soon you should receive an announcement that someone we all know and love who lives to ride is now part of the S-Works fold too.

And don't Forget Joe Buckley who won Sea Otter Semi pro DS and Alain (the NEW????? HAHA graphic designer) Lanusse mixing it up in the Semi Pro class too. not directed at you Bizutch just supporting you.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I worked on a crew for two summers, and that gel you are so stoked about saves your house bro. What would you rather have, tainted water for a few months and have to drink bottled water (oh the humanity!) or loose all your stuff. :plthumbsdown:

You should be thanking them dude.
ground crews, i have tons of respect for...as they're the ones risking their lives, working in hellish conditions.

as for the planes, it is my understanding that they are privately owned and we pay $100,000 per dump....that adds up quickly in an area i feel we should let burn.

as for the houses....i really don't live in a fire hazard zone...but it was the ground crews that save any houses. i've got issues with McMansions out in the mountains....but this is all a huge can of worms and waaay off topic.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Looks like they've reversed the trend of shortening the horst link. This one should have a more vertical wheel path then what we've seen in recent years.