Quantcast

More police news: Shoot a Labrador Retriever as he's running AWAY? Why not?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/30/AR2008073003299.html

While I'm very sad the dogs are dead, I'm not so happy with the attitude of the mayor.

"My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs," Calvo said. "They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don't think they really ever considered that we weren't."

So, it's ok to shoot a couple of labs if you're in a drug dealers home? Just not the mayors? Fvck him...this needs to happen more often to public officials. It's good to remind them every now and again how stupid the drug war is.

The officer in the raid who shot a fleeing dog is probably going to get a bravery medal...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/30/AR2008073003299.html

While I'm very sad the dogs are dead, I'm not so happy with the attitude of the mayor.

"My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs," Calvo said. "They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don't think they really ever considered that we weren't."

So, it's ok to shoot a couple of labs if you're in a drug dealers home? Just not the mayors? Fvck him...this needs to happen more often to public officials. It's good to remind them every now and again how stupid the drug war is.

The officer in the raid who shot a fleeing dog is probably going to get a bravery medal...
LOL are you for real??

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
LOL are you for real??
Totally. Have you ever seen that Chappelle sketch where the rich white and poor black justice systems get switched around? The more stuff like this happens to people in charge, the better chance we have of not fully turning into a paramilitary police state.

Because, when it happens to drug dealers, it's ok, just like Mayor Asshat implied...

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Because, when it happens to drug dealers, it's ok, just like Mayor Asshat implied...
Exactly. I would think that he supports what happened since:

"I've never done drugs in my life. Anyone who knows me knows that I am so adamantly opposed to them."
Since he is so obviously opposed to drugs I am sure he accepts that his dogs were necessary collateral damage in the glorious opportunity to take this load of very dangerous drugs off the street.

Hey, what about the cops that posed as deliverymen and knowingly delivered a controlled substance? When should we expect to read about their indictment? :busted:

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
http://www.reason.com/news/show/33289.html

How would you feel if a cop came into your backyard and shot your dog while serving a warrant on a house a couple of doors down?
I would be glad Rover died in service to our country. Even though all dogs go to heaven, I am confident his belly would be rubbed by Jesus himself for being such a great pooch.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
sometimes they (apparently justifiably) shoot women and infants after their partners shoot the dogs.

According to the story, the SWAT officer was scared when he heard his partner shoot the dogs. This justified him in shooting the unarmed woman and her infant son.
Yeah, but the unarmed woman was named Tarika. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing until I realized they shot a black woman. That means that the guy they were after was probably black, and that means he must have been a drug dealer. That totally justifies blindly shooting an unarmed woman and her infant child.

I'm comfortable with it. And look at the bright side: One less black person that we have to lock up later. It really is a win/win when you look at it like that, isn't it?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Yeah, but the unarmed woman was named Tarika. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing until I realized they shot a black woman. That means that the guy they were after was probably black, and that means he must have been a drug dealer. That totally justifies blindly shooting an unarmed woman and her infant child.

I'm comfortable with it. And look at the bright side: One less black person that we have to lock up later. It really is a win/win when you look at it like that, isn't it?
If they didn't want to risk being shot, maybe they should have just moved out. Bootstraps mother****er.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If they didn't want to risk being shot, maybe they should have just moved out. Bootstraps mother****er.
The only problem is that he should have killed the kid too. Now it's just another goddamn welfare mouth to feed until we can lock him up in 15 or so years for life.

What a waste of taxpayer money. :disgust1:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
article said:
7-year-old black Labrador retriever, Payton, near the front door and then his 4-year-old dog, Chase, also a black Lab,
why does the reporter make an effort to personalize the story by giving these dogs' names?

and just what public official takes an unexpected 32 lb+ box into their house not knowing the contents? gardening supplies? mayor pleeze.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
why does the reporter make an effort to personalize the story by giving these dogs' names?
That isn't even a "gray area" of editorializing either. Not that I don't have sympathy for the dogs, but clearly the reporter is doing what they can to drum up public sentiment.
There is no professionalism in journalism anymore. Just a bunch of wankers.

That isn't even a "gray area" of editorializing either. Not that I don't have sympathy for the dogs, but clearly the reporter is doing what they can to drum up public sentiment.
There is no professionalism in journalism anymore. Just a bunch of wankers.
The concept of objective journalism arose only recently and is admirable but unachievable. We necessarily live in a subjective world.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The concept of objective journalism arose only recently and is admirable but unachievable. We necessarily live in a subjective world.
Maybe I just haven't been around long enough, or maybe I just started paying more attention, but it seems like news media in general has been in a tailspin over the last several years. Obviously a person/reporter cannot be completely objective, but just because it's hard doesn't mean it should be abandoned completely. This type of stuff where the writer is clearly trying to sway public opinion under the guise of "journalism" is a problem if you ask me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Lab killing is the twist, but the real story is how poorly this arrest went.

The guy sounds like he had no idea what was in the package, which is why his mother-in-law left it on the porch and why he left it in the foyer when he got home.

I know people send mj in the mail all the time, but I would have waited until he opened his pot delivery before making an arrest.

Imagine if he got busted with scales and baggies. Then the story would be "Drug-dealing mayor arrested".

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My sister got busted the same way, although not over 32 lbs. Friend sent her some weed via the mail, got sniffed out, she got busted. Only difference was she got a knock on the door, and two patrolman who (relatively) politely asked if they could come in.
Felony conviction, all the same.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
According to today's Washington Post, the cops didn't even actually have a no-knock warrant as first reported. Me sees things getting ugly.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
According to today's Washington Post, the cops didn't even actually have a no-knock warrant as first reported. Me sees things getting ugly.
When you say, "As reported" you mean "As the police claimed after blowing away Lassie and Fido."

The cops appear to be lying. Imagine that.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005

and just what public official takes an unexpected 32 lb+ box into their house not knowing the contents? gardening supplies? mayor pleeze.
Do you ride bikes? Sometimes I wonder what the hell you are even doing in these parts....

The dogs were given names because they have names. Imagine that.

And yes, I would bring any package into my house that was on my porch. Not everyone lives in the world of tinfoil hats. What do you do when a package shows up at your door? Call the bomb squad?

I worked at UPS. My supervisor actually told me that UPS is the "worlds biggest trafficer of drugs".

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we do busts much in the same manner except we set up and watch the house to see who takes the package inside and then do a search warrant. i'm not in vice but i have yet to assist on a "UPS" search warrant where the recipient wasn't in the middle of repackaging the narcotic for resale. i'm not passing judgment either way in this case, just offering up my experience.
on the dog issue. i've had to shoot several while doing my duties, and one while on a tact (swat) callout. we had a barricaded subject in a house with a gun who was randomly shooting out the window. we were stacked up at a shed behind his house when a neighbors shepard jumped the fence and started to attack our K9. i had no choice but to shoot him twice with my M4 to get him off of the police k9. the family and neighbors were all up in arms and screaming about us shooting the dog with a "big gun" but they didn't say a thing about us having to pop the bad guy with a bean bag round when he stepped out of the house. damned if you do, damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Do you ride bikes? Sometimes I wonder what the hell you are even doing in these parts....
fluff's my training partner; best step the f off, or i'll have him flog you like the bishop you pretend to be in your nephew's basement
The dogs were given names because they have names. Imagine that.
kidney deep, yo
And yes, I would bring any package into my house that was on my porch. Not everyone lives in the world of tinfoil hats. What do you do when a package shows up at your door? Call the bomb squad?
funny, i always thought that a reasonable response to a large unexpected package to a public official's residence might include finding out what it could possibly be prior to introducing it to the home. calling the bomb squad wouldn't be my first response, but pretty far left on the continuum
I worked at UPS. My supervisor actually told me that UPS is the "worlds biggest trafficer of drugs".
and i'm sure nothing will ever be done about it until politicians scare the sheeple into believing it's a nat'l security issue. so give it about a year or two, and that headset you ordered from jenson will not only suck, but will take a month to get delivered.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
funny, i always thought that a reasonable response to a large unexpected package to a public official's residence might include finding out what it could possibly be prior to introducing it to the home.
Seriously dude. It's not like this is the mayor of Chicago. It's a town of like 1000 people and "mayor" is a part time job. Believe it or not, most married men do not call the bomb squad or interrogate their wife whenever a package shows up addressed to her. It's not unheard of for a chick to order a bunch of useless crap from LL Bean and not get permission from her hubby beforehand.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If my wife or I called the cops everytime a package came, they'd be over here almost every day.

Sometimes I order things and can't remember what's in the box until I open it.

Of course, that isn't the point here anyways...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yeah, and i'm sure ted haggard forgot all about the mike jones he ordered until he opened it

cue the j.t.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
If my wife or I called the cops everytime a package came, they'd be over here almost every day.

Sometimes I order things and can't remember what's in the box until I open it.

Of course, that isn't the point here anyways...

Ah come on your not playing stinkles right wingnut game properly.:plthumbsdown:
Your supposed to be living in feaar.... Cos that's what freedoms all about yo! :pirate2:

:nopity:

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Apparently the Feds are looking into how 'righteous' these would be Dirty Harrys are. CNN: Feds

No offense to Manimal, but it sounds like these guys were jumped up trigger happy dickwads, shooting one of the dogs as it ran away either for 'fun' or to intimidate the 'suspect' and his family. A big difference from Manimal's story about the shepard attacking a K-9 unit.

As far as checking w/ my wife that every package she or her mother orders was actually ordered by them before bringing it in the house... ROTFLMAO! Really?!?!?

Also, this latest screw-up is apparently part of the culture of the Prince whatever County Police:
The case is the latest embarrassment for Prince George's County officials. A former police officer was sentenced in May to 45 years in prison for shooting two furniture deliverymen at his home last year, one of them fatally. He claimed that they attacked him. In June, a suspect jailed in the death of a police officer was found strangled in his cell.
All in all the story is probably more a sad commentary on human nature than anything else. Give LEOs or anyone, for that matter, a ton of power over other people, remove oversight in this security crazy society of ours, and this is the sort of thing that happens.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
As far as checking w/ my wife that every package she or her mother orders was actually ordered by them before bringing it in the house... ROTFLMAO! Really?!?!?
apparently, i'm one of the few here who run a tight ship, especially including letting my mom live w/ me

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Apparently the Feds are looking into how 'righteous' these would be Dirty Harrys are. CNN: Feds

No offense to Manimal, but it sounds like these guys were jumped up trigger happy dickwads, shooting one of the dogs as it ran away either for 'fun' or to intimidate the 'suspect' and his family. A big difference from Manimal's story about the shepard attacking a K-9 unit.

Also, this latest screw-up is apparently part of the culture of the Prince whatever County Police:

All in all the story is probably more a sad commentary on human nature than anything else. Give LEOs or anyone, for that matter, a ton of power over other people, remove oversight in this security crazy society of ours, and this is the sort of thing that happens.
At first, I thought it was suburban super-cops who decided to go gangbusters. Now that I am familiar with the crime statistics of PG County, I know these cops have plenty of experience with drug busts. They are just incompetent.

If you get the FBI involved, especially near their hq, it does not bode well for the PG police.