Quantcast

more progressive tuning solo-air

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
Hello,

I buy a 2008 totem, it's a very good fork. However, i feel the fork sensitive but very linéar. It's difficult to keep a correct travel in very hard downhill without more presure...and more presure is less reactivity. When i test steel spring version, there is no-problem, big reactivity, good progressivity and balance in strong downhill.

I see the solo after dismantle, i calculate the system and i made a different part :lighten:
The result is amazing. See the graphic.

On the green track correspond to origin solo-air, the first 20mm are more hard than the steel spring (red track). After the 20mm when negative chamber of solo air is empty, the track is going high, the strengh decrease and the fork feel soft, to feel a little harder between 80mm, a little softer at 100mm, a little harder at 120mm and progressive harden between 140mm. the End between 140 to 180mm is very little progressive but feel soft and the bottom out is at very low strenght compare to steel spring.

On the blue Track who correspond to Solo-air tuning, the reactivity come near the steel spring, cross the steel track near 50mm.
At 60 to 140mm the track is paralele to steel spring, more progressive than origine solo-air. After 140mm the track is closed-up, the progressivity is up and at 160mm the fork feel harder to go at the same strenght than steel spring at bottom out.

At the first look , the riding sensation valid the graphic. the fork feel more sensitive, more reactive at beginning, more progressive at medium travel, and very progressive at the end of travel. Where i'm in hard bottom-out in 2 meters high flat jump, with tuning, i have 5mm margin.
I see the boxxer Wc and i can do the same part for tune it too.
The cost of the Kit can be very low, may be 80 USD ;)

What is the law in US, if i want to made and sell a tuning kit for improve totem solo-air and boxxer WC ?

It's possible or Rock-shox take me on court ? :plthumbsdown:

Thank's.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
I doubt it, after all, that's exactly what PUSH do but you'll have to consult some US legal guys to find out.

Just out of interest; how did you measure this? do you have a shock dyno or are you simply pushing down and taking measurements? I've never seen a a graph like that done for an air shock/fork and it's pretty interesting.

What is your mod anyway? - or can't you tell us? ;o)

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
I can't tell us ;)

i take some measurements and after i calculate with laws of presure, volume, stichions etc...But the calculs are the same we feel in riding :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
they have that 'mod' for the boxxer world cup. all they do is super glue a boxxer team preload spacer to the bottom of the air cap.

those graphs are confusing, can you make a graph of displacement against force? by right the steel spring should be linear and the air spring progressive.

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
they have that 'mod' for the boxxer world cup. all they do is super glue a boxxer team preload spacer to the bottom of the air cap.

those graphs are confusing, can you make a graph of displacement against force?
No :) with force you can calculate the different pressure, and with volume, you can calculate the modification :pirate2:

my mod is not just super glue. i made a new valve kit. Reduce the volume is not the best choice ;)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
No :) with force you can calculate the different pressure, and with volume, you can calculate the modification :pirate2:

my mod is not just super glue. i made a new valve kit. Reduce the volume is not the best choice ;)
i am just saying that it would be easier to interpret the the actual change the mod is giving to the end user if you show a force-displacement graph.

and i am in no was saying that you mod is done with super glue, just saying thats what the rock shox techs do for world cup forks.

the only option left (without any major mods) would be to change the length of the shaft. changing the size of the positive and negative chambers. how is there valving involved?

edit: is your graph already a force displacement graph? coz i dont understand how the spring in your graph gets more and more progressive, when most of them are very linear.

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
the only option left (without any major mods) would be to change the length of the shaft. changing the size of the positive and negative chambers. how is there valving involved?

edit: is your graph already a force displacement graph? coz i dont understand how the spring in your graph gets more and more progressive, when most of them are very linear.
The custom valving is the same if you change lenght shaft. Just a different size and form of the "valve" ;) You're right ;)

Steel spring is linear. i think linear when 160lbs do 50mm travel and 320 lbs do 100mm travel.
When i say progressive it's to say more progressive, same a steel spring who is linear but good in downhill. You see what i mean ? i have not the good translation / words :imstupid:

For bad exemple the origine solo-air do 160lbs /50mm travel, and 320lbs do 140mm...It's too linear comparate to a true old air spring fork on 160lbs /50mm travel come to 320lbs/ 80mm. here it's really progressive but not good for DH racing, just good for dirt jumping or big huckers.

I hope my words are good :busted:

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
The more important fact, is the fork was totally change by this mod.
More sensitive, more reactive and after more progressive, and less bottom out for the same pressure.

A really mini Dh fork !

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just a thought here, but have you thought about selling this Mod to Rockshox? If it is truely better than the system they are using now, I don't see why they wouldn't give you a nice big check for it. It also might help them out with the problems they have been having with the 2 Step Air.