Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We need more smaller homes.
The wife and I have been looking for a while for a single story 2 bed for our forever (maybe) home and the pickings are slim.

Woodburn has a 55+ community that is the front runner, but it's in Woodburn. The houses are perfect, though. 2 bed 2 bath around 1000 sqft.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Forced to go squatting in a bigger house. Either that or kick em out.
We will be stuck in our place for a while. When we refinanced, our payment dropped to $900. We owe about $200k and could sell it today for $550k. It's the "where do we go from here" that's been missing. The 3x interest rate isn't great, either. But we could almost pay cash.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The wife and I have been looking for a while for a single story 2 bed for our forever (maybe) home and the pickings are slim.

Woodburn has a 55+ community that is the front runner, but it's in Woodburn. The houses are perfect, though. 2 bed 2 bath around 1000 sqft.
Del Boca Vista?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Seems to be a new trend starting out here on the left coast that will probably become the norm.

As if "home inspectors" weren't the laughing stock of the trades they are now becoming the laughing stock of realtors as well. Witnessed this fiasco personally with the riverhouse transaction.

Theses "home inspectors" are becoming social media influencers and gaining traction with home buyers as services that can bring $5-40k worth of price off a listing during escrow due to idiotic 50+ page home inspections that are riddled with the most minuscule issues that will cause the seller to drop the asking price during counter offers.

Here is the problem, these home inspectors that get a license from sitting in a course to get a certificate are only supposed to point out code violations, critical things such as violations or updates to electricity code, plumbing code and framing codes, but they are now listing things waaaay beyond codes and getting into aesthetics and even absurd findings such as burnt out light bulbs, wobbly door knobs.

Here are some of the things the dipshit who spent 8 hours on the inspection (but never went into the crawl space) mentioned in his report.

Garage door sensors working but misaligned
HVAC filters 3 weeks overdue for change
Dented gutter
No drip pan under water heater
Light bulb burned out
Squeaky hinge

And 50 more pages of nonsense that has nothing to do with code but only to create a mass of paperwork that would cause a counter offer drop in price.

Not one single thing, I repeat, not one single item in his report had to do with building codes. it was all fluff. Home inspectors are the mall cops of real estate

In the future, if I am going to sell a property I will find my own inspector and have it done within code boundaries and include the inspection into the listing so there is no reason for a lame duck realtor or buyer to waste my time with the bullshit of the nerd herd calling themselves inspectors flexing their one week of training certificate.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Seems to be a new trend starting out here on the left coast that will probably become the norm.

As if "home inspectors" weren't the laughing stock of the trades they are now becoming the laughing stock of realtors as well. Witnessed this fiasco personally with the riverhouse transaction.

Theses "home inspectors" are becoming social media influencers and gaining traction with home buyers as services that can bring $5-40k worth of price off a listing during escrow due to idiotic 50+ page home inspections that are riddled with the most minuscule issues that will cause the seller to drop the asking price during counter offers.

Here is the problem, these home inspectors that get a license from sitting in a course to get a certificate are only supposed to point out code violations, critical things such as violations or updates to electricity code, plumbing code and framing codes, but they are now listing things waaaay beyond codes and getting into aesthetics and even absurd findings such as burnt out light bulbs, wobbly door knobs.

Here are some of the things the dipshit who spent 8 hours on the inspection (but never went into the crawl space) mentioned in his report.

Dented gutter
Light bulb burned out
Squeaky hinge

And 50 more pages of nonsense that has nothing to do with code but only to create a mass of paperwork that would cause a counter offer drop in price.

Not one single thing, I repeat, not one single item in his report had to do with building codes. it was all fluff. Home inspectors are the mall cops of real estate

In the future, if I am going to sell a property I will find my own inspector and have it done within code boundaries and include the inspection into the listing so there is no reason for a lame duck realtor or buyer to waste my time with the bullshit of the nerd herd calling themselves inspectors flexing their one week of training certificate.
When we sold the last place, I had an inspector come out and do his thing, because at the time we thought we were going to use a HELOC to buy the new place. I actually told him to go through it with a fine tooth comb because I didn't want to be on the hook for TWO mortgages if something major came up in the old place. He actually gave me a pretty long list that included a lot of not code, nit picky stuff. I took care of most everything on my own, and we got super lucky when the buyers just took the inspection I had done as gospel. Fortunately we never had to take the HELOC, but it felt good to know that the house wasn't falling off the foundation. I kind of figure a home inspection is like the FAA coming through the hangar. They HAVE to make some sort of finding to justify their existence, so if they find a couple of little things, that's okay.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When we sold the last place, I had an inspector come out and do his thing, because at the time we thought we were going to use a HELOC to buy the new place. I actually told him to go through it with a fine tooth comb because I didn't want to be on the hook for TWO mortgages if something major came up in the old place. He actually gave me a pretty long list that included a lot of not code, nit picky stuff. I took care of most everything on my own, and we got super lucky when the buyers just took the inspection I had done as gospel. Fortunately we never had to take the HELOC, but it felt good to know that the house wasn't falling off the foundation. I kind of figure a home inspection is like the FAA coming through the hangar. They HAVE to make some sort of finding to justify their existence, so if they find a couple of little things, that's okay.
I totally get that and am on board with that mentality but when these kids get a cert after a week and create a document during escrow that idiot realtors and buyers believe to be the bible and it ends up being a intended price dropper for non code items I find it to be on the edge of crooked leverage at its minimum. Since learning of this I have found a whole cottage industry of law firms now that are picking up full annual caseloads of buyers/sellers suing inspectors for fraud and illegitimacy.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
My view of a home inspector is that if I'm paying for someone to inspect something that I'm potentially paying a shit ton of money for, I do want them to document all of the things "wrong" with the purchase, whether or not they are strictly mandated per building code. As much as anything, that type of a list is a good reference for things to address post-purchase. At least in my inspection report, those items were put into categories in terms of severity and the significant ones are generally what actually gets negotiated, not the entire "squeaky hinge" list. Also, consider that the average homeowner doesn't know anything at all about a house, so they'd probably otherwise have no clue about things like a drip pan under a hot water heater.

Usually the issues with home inspectors that I've seen tend to be the opposite. They're generally recommended by realtors. The realtors want to make the sale and don't want the home inspector screwing that up, so they're incentivized to the only the most cursory of inspections. I'll gladly take the guy who spends 8 hours documenting minutia over the guy who just runs down a checklist.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Dented gutter
Light bulb burned out
Squeaky hinge

If they are making housing cheaper, Im all for it!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My view of a home inspector is that if I'm paying for someone to inspect something that I'm potentially paying a shit ton of money for, I do want them to document all of the things "wrong" with the purchase, whether or not they are strictly mandated per building code. As much as anything, that type of a list is a good reference for things to address post-purchase. At least in my inspection report, those items were put into categories in terms of severity and the significant ones are generally what actually gets negotiated, not the entire "squeaky hinge" list. Also, consider that the average homeowner doesn't know anything at all about a house, so they'd probably otherwise have no clue about things like a drip pan under a hot water heater.

Usually the issues with home inspectors that I've seen tend to be the opposite. They're generally recommended by realtors. The realtors want to make the sale and don't want the home inspector screwing that up, so they're incentivized to the only the most cursory of inspections. I'll gladly take the guy who spends 8 hours documenting minutia over the guy who just runs down a checklist.
not if you're the one selling the house and are being keister'd by a manipulative buyer and realtor combo.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
How many offers did you get? Wasn't it parade of home when the river house was on the market?

Tell these people to fuck off and get yourself another buyer.
most certainly was as well as a parade of offer refusals and counters. The buyers in that neck of the woods are the most entitled and ignorant bunch of dweebs I have met. Only one buyer came with pre approval at asking price, everyone else was lobbing contingencies and favors that were just plain unprofessional. It also didnt help that there were no current comps similar to the listing. In the end it worked out but ironically it was the realtors that were the issue

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
emergency demolition....wheeee!!!!!!