Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Half way in to the article I had a bowel movement.

Also, dear shitheads who hate renting because you “pay so much but have nothing to show...” Learn how math works. It isn’t buy for a monthly mortgage payment of $X or rent for $X. It’s usually $X vs. $Y. I’ve taken my “down payment” money and invested it at a gain. I’ve also been renting for well below what a mortgage would cost me, and putting a chunk of the difference into savings for the last 15 years. I’ve got no R&M or gardening costs. I don’t pay property taxes. I can still paint and decorate as I please. Obviously this doesn’t apply to all renters, but you rarely read about those who have gone this route. These articles and the people interviewed and quoted seem to have an unspoken “I’ll just pay as much as I can afford for a monthly payment” in either scenario. #shortsighted

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Half way in to the article I had a bowel movement.

Also, dear shitheads who hate renting because you “pay so much but have nothing to show...” Learn how math works. It isn’t buy for a monthly mortgage payment of $X or rent for $X. It’s usually $X vs. $Y. I’ve taken my “down payment” money and invested it at a gain. I’ve also been renting for well below what a mortgage would cost me, and putting a chunk of the difference into savings for the last 15 years. I’ve got no R&M or gardening costs. I don’t pay property taxes. I can still paint and decorate as I please. Obviously this doesn’t apply to all renters, but you rarely read about those who have gone this route. These articles and the people interviewed and quoted seem to have an unspoken “I’ll just pay as much as I can afford for a monthly payment” in either scenario. #shortsighted
:stupid:

Home ownership sucks. I look forward to renting in the future.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

“Unless you’re a software developer, engineer — and there are a fair amount of those — but outside of that, I was like, ‘who else is here, what are they doing?’” Stoddard wondered.

/me spends under 9% gross on PITI on the house, for the record, but that's at a 30 year rate. Gotta ramp that up if I ever want to cut back from full time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice. Now is not the time to sell. Perhaps 1-2 months ago was that time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just got a quote for a new 30-yr at 3.80%
Check out DCU:

30 year 3.625% nominal/3.72% APR
15 year 3.25/3.41%
10 year 3.0/3.24%

My mortgage isn't through them but I use them for auto loans and the like. They are legit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but but but...T-rump is telling the fed that they'd better cut the rate...BY A FUCKING POINT. good times are just ahead, i tell ya...GOOD TIMES!
I’ll refinance my debts happily if they cut the prime rate by anywhere near that.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah... I'll probably go this route and maybe just pay extra on the monthly pmt to try to eliminate it in a couple years...
Nov. 2024 for us, IIRC
Check out DCU:

15 year 3.25/3.41%
10 year 3.0/3.24%

My mortgage isn't through them but I use them for auto loans and the like. They are legit.
Balls. That 10 year is tempting. Fees?

I’ll refinance my debts happily if they cut the prime rate by anywhere near that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Check out DCU:

15 year 3.25/3.41%
10 year 3.0/3.24%

things are finally getting to the point where it may be advantageous for us to refinance (we're at 3.75% fixed / 30yr), but there are other factors at play that may render that entirely unnecessary.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Just got all sorted to put an offer on an apartment in france but woke this morning to an email from the agent.... Someone else put an offer on it overnight. :close:

Dammit, that leaves 2 options.
Offer the asking price or go for the next nearest apartment which is 20k more (nicer though).

Also French legal fees are crazy pricey compared to here in NZ.
€5100 for legals fees and taxes...... My house here in NZ was about €350 for that.

Just got all sorted to put an offer on an apartment in france but woke this morning to an email from the agent.... Someone else put an offer on it overnight. :close:

Offer the asking price or go for the next nearest apartment which is 20k more (nicer though).

€5100 for legals fees and taxes...... My house here in NZ was about €350 for that.
Why France, of all places?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

Cough up.
Life is too short to wait for lightning striking twice.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
You make a strong argument...

Where are you looking? 'Round @Damo's neck of the woods?
About 7km down the road from his newish place.
100m from the gondola in Saint Jean d`Aulps and on the main ski run (literally ski from the door).
A bit further out of Morzine town than I'd like but it's still only a 8-9km from the SuperMorzine lift.... Google calls it a 9min drive?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
About 7km down the road from his newish place.
100m from the gondola in Saint Jean d`Aulps and on the main ski run (literally ski from the door).
A bit further out of Morzine town than I'd like but it's still only a 8-9km from the SuperMorzine lift.... Google calls it a 9min drive?
Just out of curiosity... how does that work, in terms of a furriner renting a flat in France? I'm curious because I'd like to eventually "retire" to a life of kind of wandering around and living different places... so I'm wondering how the logistics work out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Renting? He’s straight up buying.

You should buy in Denmark at -0.5%, Shared Skittles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just out of curiosity... how does that work, in terms of a furriner renting a flat in France? I'm curious because I'd like to eventually "retire" to a life of kind of wandering around and living different places... so I'm wondering how the logistics work out.

Not one house to rent in all of Tuscany