Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
They are not trying to negotiate a fair price for your home, they are trying to find suckers who don't understand the market. The lady who lived across the street from me sold her place without putting it on the market. Based on the sale price I assume someone made her a private offer and she was blown away by the price not realizing it probably would have sold for an additional $100K.
It's been 4 or 5 years now, but the house just to the north of us was sold like this. Dude was a scumbag, and his kid was a scumbag, and the house was trashed, but they still could have gotten way more for it than what public record shows he did. The flipper had to put a ton of money into it and probably still made money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LOL

One of those in my neighborhood and one in the town north. Reclaimed busted railyard land that sits on a river. "affordable community housing" became the "prestigious riverside project" :rofl:

Half assed measures and permitting enforcement leads to half assed results. Who knew?

Without actual rent control privately developed "affordable" housing projects will just be low cost high margin profit opportunities.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You think the thousands of properties are just in SoCal? Cute.
Just stop

You want to actually have a conversation or just quip?

Limited building area mountain towns, especially in tight little valleys that have mostly filled up with mcmansions and are literally built to be money magnets, have a few unique problems. You can choose to ignore that fact by citing an effective tax incentive you may have taken advantage of in some mysterious location known only to you, or you can actually discuss with details. But your late desire to always jump down my throat at what you percieve to be misguided outrage is getting pretty stale. You seem about one degree away from whining about wokeness™ and cancel culture™.

Sun valley is fucked. And their little tax incentives don't work for a reason. OBVIOUSLY

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's been 4 or 5 years now, but the house just to the north of us was sold like this. Dude was a scumbag, and his kid was a scumbag, and the house was trashed, but they still could have gotten way more for it than what public record shows he did. The flipper had to put a ton of money into it and probably still made money.

Her house was tiny and in really bad shape and I am sure that was a major influence on her decision. She probably didn't realize that her large lot size meant it was dozer bait. A 5000+ sq ft monstrocity was built in it's place and sold for 1.9 mil.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Conversation with woo? You mean someone else posting replies so you have a platform to regurgitate your curated collection of artisanal tweets you keep in your head?
9111E33C-D4C6-4B4F-BF6B-21087797612E.jpeg

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Its easy to suggest simple solutions to extremely complex problems. One thing that is never taken into account is the human condition and all its intricacies and American rugged capitalistic individualism . But it would seem to me that even poor people dont want affordable housing. They want non affordable housing affordable. If only people would stop trying to better themselves and just accept their place instead of wanting what other people have (sarcasm). There is plenty of land in America for people to live on, it just sucks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Its easy to suggest simple solutions to extremely complex problems. One thing that is never taken into account is the human condition and all its intricacies and American rugged capitalistic individualism . But it would seem to me that even poor people dont want affordable housing. They want non affordable housing affordable. If only people would stop trying to better themselves and just accept their place instead of wanting what other people have (sarcasm). There is plenty of land in America for people to live on, it just sucks.
Itty bitty pretty mountain towns are just the sharper end of the stick of what's going on everywhere else IMO. Cities all over the place have the same issues but they seem to get an exponentially more stark a juxtaposition in those places. Kinda like homeless camps right next to goldman sachs offices in bigger cities.

Sun valley, created literally as a rich prick magnet, billing itself as a luxurious full service retreat, now just saying "yeah, all the support for that mirage is over there in that tent city that all uses the one park bathroom" is kinda fucking hilarious to me, for all bad reasons. Shit I live in the gigantic state that mimics that model. :rofl:

Expecting free market capitalist solutions to an exclusively free market capitalistic problem (one that's always the inevitable end of that system) is just kinda dumb. I mean that's why governments exist.....to tame the effects of that shit to some degree. They're not doing their jobs, at least not for everyone. And certainly not enough for the long-term community they want to be seen as.

Yes. It also rains here every day.
I've spent enough time up there to know the myths. Summer is beautiful but the traffic situation truly is other worldly. I didn't read about it on the internet, I've sacrificed cumulative years of my life in it. And you know I'm talking about "around" seattle not just downtown.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've spent enough time up there to know the myths. Summer is beautiful but the traffic situation truly is other worldly. I didn't read about it on the internet, I've sacrificed cumulative years of my life in it. And you know I'm talking about "around" seattle not just downtown.
I am lucky enough to generally have a reverse commute so I get to laugh at everyone going nowhere fast in the other direction. I was working south of downtown pre-pandemic and with the new tunnel it was actually rather pleasant.

Train system will expand to Northgate this year which doesn't help me but it should lessen the burden on the worst parts of I-5.

I also ride my bike for a lot of reasonably local trips and outside of work and riding, I rarely have a need to go very far.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am lucky enough to generally have a reverse commute so I get to laugh at everyone going nowhere fast in the other direction. I was working south of downtown pre-pandemic and with the new tunnel it was actually rather pleasant.

Train system will expand to Northgate this year which doesn't help me but it should lessen the burden on the worst parts of I-5.

I also ride my bike for a lot of reasonably local trips and outside of work and riding, I rarely have a need to go very far.
You can use that as a selling point when you sell off your property for workforce housing and then change it to "luxurious something something single dwelling castle"

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Itty bitty pretty mountain towns are just the sharper end of the stick of what's going on everywhere else IMO. Cities all over the place have the same issues but they seem to get an exponentially more stark a juxtaposition in those places. Kinda like homeless camps right next to goldman sachs offices in bigger cities.

Sun valley, created literally as a rich prick magnet, billing itself as a luxurious full service retreat, now just saying "yeah, all the support for that mirage is over there in that tent city that all uses the one park bathroom" is kinda fucking hilarious to me, for all bad reasons. Shit I live in the gigantic state that mimics that model. :rofl:

Expecting free market capitalist solutions to an exclusively free market capitalistic problem (one that's always the inevitable end of that system) is just kinda dumb. I mean that's why governments exist.....to tame the effects of that shit to some degree. They're not doing their jobs, at least not for everyone. And certainly not enough for the long-term community they want to be seen as.
I don’t disagree. I just think solutions are going to be complex. The people in charge are simple.

I don’t know why anyone cares about sun valley. Stop teaching, feeding and serving the rich if you don’t like it. Then let the rich fucks figure it out when everyone is gone.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don’t disagree. I just think solutions are going to be complex. The people in charge are simple.

I don’t know why anyone cares about sun valley. Stop teaching, feeding and serving the rich if you don’t like it. Then let the rich fucks figure it out when everyone is gone.
I keep an eye on a few belleweather surrogates for where I live. I give it 10 years before we all have one bathroom with a sign above it that says "poors"

Gov't subsidized housing is a thing that used to exist a lot more than it does now. But getting a commitment to both do it and keep doing it never seems to work out because money to be made. Despite current conditions a lot of these mountain towns still do have generations deep families who existed long before the outdoors became such a racket market. Sun valley likely doesn't because idaho, but lots of these places do have huge existing or potential tax bases, they just don't tap them for the right things or in the right places.

Can't remember if it was vail or aspen a few years ago but they started stuffing employees in shipping containers and calling them 'tiny homes' :rofl:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Was it late 1800’s England people slept standing up in cemetery’s? That could be an option for sun valley. Tent cities in a park is a ridiculous answer. Put them outside of town and have a shuttle bus and more than one bathroom. All joking aside this has been a solution and problem since the beginning of cities. The pyramid builders weren’t slaves yet lived in tents and were given beer. So how much has really changed?

i don’t think government subsidized housing in vacation towns is the answer. Maybe new towns with new trails is a better answer. But you can’t control people like you can’t control someone else’s dog. I’ve seen it before, things are great and then some idiot comes along who wants to reinvent the wheel to put their name on it while disregarding history.

FYI my sister moved to sun valley in 1980.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Put them outside of town and have a shuttle bus and more than one bathroom.
I guess they call that Hailey. In 10 years they'll call it twin falls.

FYI my sister moved to sun valley in 1980.
She in a 3 season or 4 season tent? Who's bathroom she use?

No wonder you know the trails up there. Fuck sun valley but everything north of there, I'm in love with. It would take a lifetime to duplicate the trail mileage in that area anywhere else. Plus the entire industry of NIMBY-ism masquerading as conservation would make it pretty damn difficult in most places. I'm planning on being up there again in sept btw. I wanna ride the monkey ;)

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

No wonder you know the trails up there. Fuck sun valley but everything north of there, I'm in love with. It would take a lifetime to duplicate the trail mileage in that area anywhere else. Plus the entire industry of NIMBY-ism masquerading as conservation would make it pretty damn difficult in most places. I'm planning on being up there again in sept btw. I wanna ride the monkey ;)
I believe it’s a two bedroom two bath fancy tent. To be fair I was born in 80 and I’ve only been 4-5 times. She’s a much older half sister. Normally I spend a week or more in the sawtooths and a weekend visiting my sister. I would love to go again this year but I’m moving to Oregon and will have to make multiple moving trips. It likely won’t be in the cards this year. I’m thinking it’s a good summer to take a break from camping anyway. But maybe, moving will take 10 hours and 800 miles of desert out of the equation. You gotta go to Boulder City! It’s the best thing on the sun valley side of the pass with free boondocking.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Your new avatar. :rofl: