Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
"Even with the extensive damage, rancid smells and excessive profanity on the walls, Foster says she has received 16 written cash offers in the first 24 hours of the house being on the market."

JHFC.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
"Even with the extensive damage, rancid smells and excessive profanity on the walls, Foster says she has received 16 written cash offers in the first 24 hours of the house being on the market."

JHFC.
Given what we're looking at for renovation quotes in Santa Cruz for MIL1's 1200sqft 2br condo, which will need a ton of remediation for mold, structural rebuilding, etc. and what we've paid in Denver-metro for different services here I'd say that you're probably looking at $85-100k in repairs to bring it back up to sell/rent-able levels. @Pesqueeb knows that market, but it's probably worth more than that once fixed. Most of the smell will leave with the freezer, Killz on every surface staying, and removing the carpet.

Painting: Killz + paint - $7,000
Full kitchen reno: $18,000 (if above Ikea grade)
New floors: $25,000 (assuming wood for main, tile for bathrooms, and carpet for upstairs/bedrooms)
Roof: $18,000
Blinds: $5,000
Windows & corresponding damage: $25,000
Landscaping: $20,000

That covers probably 85% of damage based on the video and listing. Our house, two owners back, was a short sale. Because it was part of a very large drug bust, thankfully just dealing and using, not making. You can still see traces of spray paint in the storage unit in the basement that was attempted to be painted over. They spent about $150k renovating this place from a full strip down, adding an in-law suite in the basement, but did it as their "forever home". It was only sold because the prior owner's wife fell and broke her hip, which never healed right and she couldn't get up or down the stairs in a 3-level home.

The prior owners of that place will probably get a decent amount back from the property management company in suit if the eviction was done improperly and because the wrong tenant has been living there. They will likely go after the crazy lady, but you can only squeeze a rock for so much, but they can ruin her life for an extended period by having an outstanding garnish and then for at least 7 years due to a monstrous credit impact from the damage/suit to her.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Given what we're looking at for renovation quotes in Santa Cruz for MIL1's 1200sqft 2br condo, which will need a ton of remediation for mold, structural rebuilding, etc. and what we've paid in Denver-metro for different services here I'd say that you're probably looking at $85-100k in repairs to bring it back up to sell/rent-able levels. @Pesqueeb knows that market, but it's probably worth more than that once fixed. Most of the smell will leave with the freezer, Killz on every surface staying, and removing the carpet.

Painting: Killz + paint - $7,000
Full kitchen reno: $18,000 (if above Ikea grade)
New floors: $25,000 (assuming wood for main, tile for bathrooms, and carpet for upstairs/bedrooms)
Roof: $18,000
Blinds: $5,000
Windows & corresponding damage: $25,000
Landscaping: $20,000

That covers probably 85% of damage based on the video and listing. Our house, two owners back, was a short sale. Because it was part of a very large drug bust, thankfully just dealing and using, not making. You can still see traces of spray paint in the storage unit in the basement that was attempted to be painted over. They spent about $150k renovating this place from a full strip down, adding an in-law suite in the basement, but did it as their "forever home". It was only sold because the prior owner's wife fell and broke her hip, which never healed right and she couldn't get up or down the stairs in a 3-level home.

The prior owners of that place will probably get a decent amount back from the property management company in suit if the eviction was done improperly and because the wrong tenant has been living there. They will likely go after the crazy lady, but you can only squeeze a rock for so much, but they can ruin her life for an extended period by having an outstanding garnish and then for at least 7 years due to a monstrous credit impact from the damage/suit to her.
i poked around the zillow map, similar nearby houses were well north of a million.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@stoney is pretty spot on IMHO.

I suppose it will depend on how far over asking price the "winner" goes, but in that neighborhood that home is an easy 3/4 million in this absolute shit show of a market if it's in semi respectable condition. Probably not to hard to turn a modest profit, even on that home, assuming the market doesn't tank in the next 6 months.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

JHFC.
Looks like a fairly good deal, I pulled up that address on Churchill Ct, looks like a more upscale neighborhood with very good schools. More than likely a contractor will buy it and flip. Screams contractor special all over it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looks like a fairly good deal, I pulled up that address on Churchill Ct, looks like a more upscale neighborhood with very good schools. More than likely a contractor will buy it and flip. Screams contractor special all over it.
Totally agree. If a contractor did this place the repair costs drop down to $50-75k, since profit is being built into sale vs. reno work.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

retirement planning monkey. real estate is a big factor in figuring the worst states. it will be interesting to see how this shifts as i get closer to retirement. if i get there.
I see a lot of retirees (long-term residents or natives) leaving Colorado at retirement. The most common arguments are how expensive it's become, getting equity out of their homes, or how liberal it's become. Most common destinations are TX, TN, and FL.

My parents moved to TX, 4 hours away from my sister (derp). They were very excited about being closer to both my sister and I, but are now further away. Like the article mentions, 3 hours at 60mph+ is considered close. There are less direct flights to San Antonio from Denver + 1.5hr drive. Same for my sister being in Dallas, as they are halfway between SA and Austin. And property taxes are brutally high where they bought. They just haven't paid them yet...

Wifey's Dad & MIL2 moved to Nashville (hence my current location). The weather here is horrible - 90*+ and 90%+ humidity. They just bought a house reasonably close to my SIL. Stupid expensive for what it is and still not that nice - it's just based on the location. Elsewhere around Nashville is very dodgy, so they are no-go locations for an older white couple. Taxes are very regressive here though - sales tax on food, relatively high vehicle registration fees, etc. When you are on a limited income, it's not your best option.

Would I necessarily stay in CA? Eh... if I had a home that was protected by Prop 13 and not in immediate high-cost areas (Bay Area specifically), very likely. CO? Probably. Housing is the largest expense here - if your house is paid for, why leave? But then again, some (a lot*) people have been banking on the value of their homes going up for their entire retirement plan...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
But then again, some (a lot*) people have been banking on the value of their homes going up for their entire retirement plan...
Asset appreciation is nice but it doesn’t generate cash flow. I guess you could sell it, borrow against the equity, or get a reverse mortgage. Or, you could turn it into a rental and move to another place.

I heard something I’m curious about, but don’t know how I’d verify. I was told the current trend of cash offers is sometimes the result of people liquidating their retirement savings in a 401k for the sale transaction, followed by the buyer getting a mortgage and using the proceeds to repay the 401k borrowing. Any monkeys know about this?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Asset appreciation is nice but it doesn’t generate cash flow. I guess you could sell it, borrow against the equity, or get a reverse mortgage. Or, you could turn it into a rental and move to another place.

I heard something I’m curious about, but don’t know how I’d verify. I was told the current trend of cash offers is sometimes the result of people liquidating their retirement savings in a 401k for the sale transaction, followed by the buyer getting a mortgage and using the proceeds to repay the 401k borrowing. Any monkeys know about this?
I've seen it 1-2 times, usually with retirees. They also however refuse to listen to tax implications to said transactions, especially if they are not able to close their mtge within 60-days to get the funds back into an IRA w/in the indirect rollover window. For younger people, it's a risk most are willing to take to get a house, or they are looking at taking loans from the 401(k) (if possible), to purchase the house. That comes with its own list of risks, but again, what do I know... It's just my job...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would imagine people are useing it for the over asking price payments that are hard to get loans for.
One would assume that a mtge company, which employs actuaries, who would possibly understand risk, when saying "this house is not worth what we're willing to loan against", might make people say "wait a second..." But NOPE! Indentured servitude here we come!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Golden is right, damn

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Golden is right, damn

That price is based 90% on the Nick Cage artwork

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Golden is right, damn

It's the property that's important. Look at the surrounding houses.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Golden is right, damn

That's almost 1K square feet! It's a steal... :homer:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I live in Golden (you can see my place in the aerial pic. see it?)

I rode past that place last ride and thought ... "$600? $650??"

stoney is right in that (a) it's walking distance to the gold course and $1M homes. I ride down that street often between home and Apex Park. I looked at a house a few years back in that 'hood, nicer than that but no garage. Balked at the $450k asking price. I'm not a smart man.

Problem with the small homes here is everything is walking distance to the School of Mines. Anything that's safe to occupy can be rented to Mines students from TX for $1,000 per room, indefinitely.