Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Joker, have you looked at what a yurt sets you back? I mean I like the plan and all, but if your buying that many of em you might as well just build the house straight away.
http://www.coloradoyurt.com/
http://www.yurts.com/
Compartmentalized building. Build out as necessary, just build a plan prior to build out so that additions do not prevent expansion.

I still want a cargo container house, but Wifey isn't having it. Somehow, she is open to this idea.

Either way, buying 2-3 acres in a semi-wooded area, building a house like this, with solar built into the property and a full garden would be my dream layout. Possibly on a slight hill to flat.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Where is Wikileaks with its supposed bank bomb? Courts keep ruling like this, the wikileaks stuff will be irrelevant.
US Bancorp and Wells Fargo & Co. lost a foreclosure case in Massachusetts’s highest court that will guide lower courts in that state and may influence others in the clash between bank practices and state real estate law. The ruling drove down bank stocks.

The state Supreme Judicial Court today upheld a judge’s decision saying two foreclosures were invalid because the banks didn’t prove they owned the mortgages, which he said were improperly transferred into two mortgage-backed trusts.

“We agree with the judge that the plaintiffs, who were not the original mortgagees, failed to make the required showing that they were the holders of the mortgages at the time of foreclosure,” Justice Ralph D. Gants wrote.

Wells Fargo, the fourth-largest U.S. lender by assets, dropped $1.10, or 3.4 percent, to $31.05 at 11:41 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. US Bancorp declined 28 cents, or 1.1 percent, to $26.01.

The 24-company KBW Bank Index fell as much as 2.2 percent after the decision was handed down.

Claims of wrongdoing by banks and loan servicers triggered a 50-state investigation last year into whether hundreds of thousands of foreclosures were properly documented as the housing market collapsed. The probe came after JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Ally Financial Inc. said they would stop repossessions in 23 states where courts supervise home seizures and Bank of America Corp. froze U.S. foreclosures.

Teri Charest, a spokeswoman for Minneapolis-based US Bancorp, didn’t immediately return a call for comment. Jason Menke, a spokesman for San Francisco-based Wells Fargo, didn’t have an immediate comment.

Foreclosures Voided

Charest previously referred questions on the case to the loan servicer for both mortgage-backed trusts, American Home Mortgage Servicing Inc. Philippa Brown, a spokeswoman for Coppell, Texas-based American Home Mortgage, didn’t have an immediate comment.

In March 2009, Massachusetts Land Court Judge Keith C. Long voided the foreclosures, finding that the mortgage transfers were done months after the house sales. In October of that year, Long declined the banks’ request to reverse that ruling after they argued that the documents that bundled together the mortgages had transferred those instruments to them.

Today’s court decision held out the possibility of securitization documents properly transferring mortgages.

Such documents, along with “a schedule of the pooled mortgage loans that clearly and specifically identifies the mortgage at issue as among those assigned, may suffice to be proof that the assignment was made by a party that itself held the mortgage,” Gants wrote. “However, there must be proof that the assignment was made by a party that itself held the mortgage.”

The case is U.S. Bank v. Ibanez, 10694, Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts (Boston). The lower-court cases are U.S. Bank National Association v. Ibanez, 08-Misc-384283, and Wells Fargo Bank NA v. LaRace, 08-Misc-386755, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Trial Court, Land Court Department (Boston).
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-07/us-bancorp-wells-fargo-lose-pivotal-massachusetts-foreclosure-case.html

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The hits just keep on coming.

The robosigning scandal and other issues led to fewer foreclosures in final months of 2010. But banks still repossessed just over a million homes last year, according to a report out today from RealtyTrac.

The number of repossessions is likely to be even higher this year — about 1.2 million, RealtyTrac's Rick Sharga told me. And banks will continue to repossess homes faster than they can sell them, building up an inventory of unsold homes.

"There are about a million homes in the banks' inventory right now," Sharga said. "It'll probably surpass 1.5 million before it's all said and done."Foreclosures may finally start to slow down next year. But it will be 2013 before banks sell off their backlog of unsold houses.As we've noted before, repossessed houses tend to sell at a discount, and this backlog is likely to keep housing prices down.

It's also likely to mean that home construction crews will largely remain idle. Who would want to build new houses that will have to compete with all those foreclosures coming to market?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds perfect for me. I finish residency in 2013, fellowship in 2014, and will be looking to buy a house in (probably) a still-overpriced market around then.

:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Near Virginia Mason undoubtedly?
Not so sure Seattle's in the future. The wife would like it due to family, yes, but I actually prefer hipster-laden Portland: bike culture, cheaper housing, better public transit, at least equivalent weather (for what that's worth).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/business/economy/23housing.html

Real estate prices slid in just about every part of the country in December, pushing a housing market that once seemed to be rebounding nearly back to its lowest level since the crash began.

At this dismal point, some economists and analysts say that the damage has been done, and there is nowhere to go but up. Many others argue that the market has still not finished falling.

And then there are those who maintain that, possibly, things are about to get a whole lot worse.
“Every place is pretty much getting hit a second time for essentially the same reasons,” said Andrew LePage, an analyst with DataQuick Information Systems. “Slow economic recovery, little job growth, still-tight credit, no more government stimulus, a pervasive and gnawing sense that prices could fall more, too few people getting jobs and too many worrying about losing the one they have.”

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I'm not at all convinced we're any where near the bottom. I have nothing to back that other up than gut feeling though.
Me either. The bond market up until recently has been backing up my gut feel. Whilst interest rates are increasing, home values must come down, right?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I gambled twice and lost. I'll rent and be happy until I move to Forest Park after the collapse of modern society,

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'm not at all convinced we're any where near the bottom. I have nothing to back that other up than gut feeling though.
I'm going to make the wild prediction that all real estate is local. Some parts of the country have a lot further to plunge, most of the rest will bump along at or slightly below the rate of inflation, and a very few will go up.

In my area, wages are good, unemployment is low (below 5% for the City, ~7.5% for the state), there was enough area to build on so housing prices didn't go up THAT much (comparatively) before the bubble burst, and rental prices are still quite expensive. We bought in the fall of '07, and Zillow's estimation bounces back between even or down 5% (down 5% in the winter, even in the spring). Other areas like NY have PLUMMETED during that time.

Shrug, who knows. If you buy a house to live in over the long (10-15+ years), it's *usually* good to buy if you can pay about the same amount as monthly rent. Obviously you can get screwed buying at the top of a bubble, but that goes for gold, stocks, beanie babies, etc.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I think the huge shadow inventory backs that up. There's a sh!tton of houses on the banks books that are not on the market yet.
This has a lot to due with my general feeling of unease when it comes to the housing market. I've read/heard about people staying in "their" house upwards of 2 years after they've quit paying the mortgage. This is because the banks don't want the house on its balance sheets, don't want the liability of holding the empty house, and are waiting for values to turn around. You'll know were out of the woods on a macro level when the number of foreclosures start to increase nation wide.

I'm going to make the wild prediction that all real estate is local. Some parts of the country have a lot further to plunge, most of the rest will bump along at or slightly below the rate of inflation, and a very few will go up.

In my area, wages are good, unemployment is low (below 5% for the City, ~7.5% for the state), there was enough area to build on so housing prices didn't go up THAT much (comparatively) before the bubble burst, and rental prices are still quite expensive. We bought in the fall of '07, and Zillow's estimation bounces back between even or down 5% (down 5% in the winter, even in the spring). Other areas like NY have PLUMMETED during that time.

Shrug, who knows. If you buy a house to live in over the long (10-15+ years), it's *usually* good to buy if you can pay about the same amount as monthly rent. Obviously you can get screwed buying at the top of a bubble, but that goes for gold, stocks, beanie babies, etc.
Yes. Prices here in the Springs we have been relatively stable (at least in comparison to the wider market) due in large part to the fact that the counties largest employer is the US military. Wages/unemployment/housing demand remain relatively constant, we didn't see the super large bubble a lot of other places did, and consequently the drop hasn't been as precipitous. Although according to Zillow my house just dropped last week to lower than what we paid for it. :( My attitude regarding walking away has pretty much taken a 180 as I've educated myself on the Banks/lending markets/securitization that was occurring during the bubble and the way people have been treated after the collapse by said industries. If we were in the position of having zero equity in this house (we have a bunch still) I would totally quit paying and see how long I could put money away.

Maybe we could start referring to you as "Nostradumba$$"? :p
Doesn't somebody here have that custom title already? Besides, I've been called worse by better people. :busted:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've read/heard about people staying in "their" house upwards of 2 years after they've quit paying the mortgage. This is because the banks don't want the house on its balance sheets, don't want the liability of holding the empty house, and are waiting for values to turn around. You'll know were out of the woods on a macro level when the number of foreclosures start to increase nation wide.
I'd argue that we're ****ed before that point AND afterwards. :D

As long as things are starting to look a little rosier by 2014, that's all I ask...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Shrug, who knows. If you buy a house to live in over the long (10-15+ years), it's *usually* good to buy if you can pay about the same amount as monthly rent. Obviously you can get screwed buying at the top of a bubble,
but that goes for gold, stocks, beanie babies, etc.
I'm no rocket scientist, but this looks like an amoeba ready to split. Parts of the country in stable pricing and parts still falling. The driver of prices on existing houses should be population flux in the area, with a twist of new-home pricing in that area as well. Of course overall pricing will fall when overall pricing had previously been bloated. Sadly, Chicken Little lacks the hindsight and stomach to handle it. It certainly doesn't help when Uncle Sam Quantitatively Eases things with a flood of capital that stirs up the cloudy stuff by functionally revaluing the everything in ways the average chicken won't comprehend until it is time to be angry again.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Admit it, chickens have two speeds: "angry" and "confused".

My new neighbor just told me a bit about her situation, saying she sold a home a few blocks away and started renting because ownership wasn't what it was cracked up to be and she was tired of being a slave to her house related payments. Not sure how much more there is to the story, if there is more, but her sentiments resonate with the reason I have stayed a renter.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I'd argue that we're ****ed before that point AND afterwards. :D

As long as things are starting to look a little rosier by 2014, that's all I ask...
Define "rosy". After a bubble it takes YEARS for things to even get back to pre-bubble growth. And, the bigger the bubble, the longer it takes to get back to that growth. It'll be years before we're back to the "2-3% above inflation" level that we had from 1950 through 2000.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
thread on another board.....

flopping your house.
Interesting.
Thanks for the post.

Sounds similar to stories of people signing over their assets (car, house) to a friend and then filing BK, then "buying" the assets back after. Although I'm pretty sure they closed that loophole. I'm sure they will go after this one, if they haven't already.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
thread on another board.....

flopping your house.
I'd like to know more on that one. If there is any truth to that, that's way shady/ballsy. I'm amused by the bank getting screwed but I don't know how the PO could just move right back in without questions being asked. If the bank finds out the PO is living in that house again he might be up a creek.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
More good news!
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- That big sucking sound you heard last week? That was the air being taken out of the housing market by a slew of bad reports followed by some dire predictions by an industry bubble-spotter.

On Tuesday, we found out that home prices were near their post-bust lows. Two days later the government reported that January saw a double-digit dip in the number of new homes sold.

Then Robert Shiller, the Yale economist and co-founder of the S&P/Case-Shiller home price indexes, dropped this bomb: "There's a substantial risk of home prices falling another 15%, 20% or 25%," he said.

That's a stunning enough pronouncement to make house hunters consider putting purchases on hold. And that may not be a dumb move: If prices are near a double dip -- meaning they fell after the bust, rose a bit during recovery and are now heading back down -- there may be better deals ahead.

"There will be differences by market, but generally, you may get a big discount by waiting a year [to buy]," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, who thinks the price drop will be closer to 10% or 15%.
The rosey little article continues here.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My place just recently dropped below the price we paid for it according to zillow. We have a ton of equity in it thank the FSM, but still, it was depressing to see.
WASHINGTON -- The number of Americans who owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth rose at the end of last year, preventing many people from selling their homes in an already weak housing market.

About 11.1 million households, or 23.1 percent of all mortgaged homes, were underwater in the October-December quarter, according to report released Tuesday by housing data firm CoreLogic. That's up from 22.5 percent, or 10.8 million households, in the July-September quarter.

The number of underwater mortgages had fallen in the previous three quarters. But that was mostly because more homes had fallen into foreclosure.

Underwater mortgages typically rise when home prices fall. Home prices in December hit their lowest point since the housing bust in 11 of 20 major U.S. metro areas. In a healthy housing market, about 5 percent of homeowners are underwater.

Roughly two-thirds of homeowners in Nevada with a mortgage had negative home equity, the worst in the country. Arizona, Florida, Michigan and California were next, with up to 50 percent of homeowners with mortgages in those states underwater.

Oklahoma had the smallest percentage of underwater homeowners in the October-December quarter, at 5.8 percent. Only nine states recorded percentages less than 10 percent.

In addition to the more than 11 million households that are underwater, another 2.4 million homeowners are nearing that point.

When a mortgage is underwater, the homeowner often can't qualify for mortgage refinancing and has little recourse but to continue making payments in hopes the property eventually regains its value.

The slide in home prices began stabilizing last year. But prices are expected to continue falling in many markets due to still-high levels of foreclosure and unemployment.

That means homes purchased at the height of the real estate boom are unlikely to recover lost value for years.

Underwater mortgages also dampen home sales. Homeowners who might otherwise sell their home refuse to take a loss or can't get the bank to agree to a short sale – when a lender lets a borrower sell their property for less than the amount owed on the mortgage.

Home sales have been weaker in areas where there are a large number of homeowners with negative equity.

Many banks are also requiring homebuyers to put as much as 20 percent of a home's value as down payment and the Obama administration is pushing for a 10 percent down payment requirement on all conventional loans guaranteed by the ailing mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Few homeowners in states hit hard by foreclosures, including Colorado, Georgia and Nevada, have 20 percent or more equity in their homes. Higher down payments make it increasingly difficult for those people to sell their homes.

The total amount of negative equity increased to $751 billion nationwide, up from $744 billion in the previous quarter.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/08/number-of-underwater-mort_n_833000.html

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Its pretty scary how far my house has dropped.
It is FAR below what I paid for it 6 years ago. And it was pretty cheap then.

Its a good thing I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My place just recently dropped below the price we paid for it according to zillow. We have a ton of equity in it thank the FSM, but still, it was depressing to see.
Buck up, Little Camper. We're in the same boat (Zillow estimate below purchase price, lots of equity)... but we're not going anywhere.

Of course you're in the Springs... so that sucks. :p

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Buck up, Little Camper. We're in the same boat (Zillow estimate below purchase price, lots of equity)... but we're not going anywhere.

Of course you're in the Springs... so that sucks. :p
Even if my house had doubled, I'd still be in the Springs. Why are you rubbing salt in the wound? :(
:p

In related news, from my favorite tinfoilers over @ zerohedge.
After Julian Assange crashed and burned in his threat to release documents that expose fraud at Bank of America, many thought he had been only bluffing, and that BofA is actually clean. Not so fast. A member of the hacker collective Anonymous, which singlehandedly destroyed "hacker defense" firm HB Gary, who goes under the handle OperationLeakS "is claiming to be have emails and documents which prove "fraud" was committed by Bank of America employees, and the group says it'll release them on Monday" reports Gawker. As to the contents of the possible disclosure: ""He Just told me he have GMAC emails showing BoA order to mix loan numbers to not match it's Documents. to foreclose on Americans.. Shame." If indeed this makes the case against BofA' foreclosure practices stronger, it certainly explains why the banking consortium is scrambling to arrange a settlement, and also why Bank of America recently split off its $2 trillion in mortgages into "good bank" and "bad bank" entities.

As a "teaser", the Anonymous member released a November 1, 2010 email between two Balboa Insurance (a BAC subsidiary) employees, which while not proving any fraud, indicates he/she does indeed have access. The timeline on the email makes sense as it is a few weeks prior to the original disclosure that Wikileaks would expose BofA. Perhaps the Assange team merely handed off its materials to Anonymous, which has previously demonstrated its solidarity with the Australian on various occasions.
The full letter is below.

Gawker with more on why Brian Moynihan may not sleep too soundly overnight:

OperationLeaks, which runs the anti-Bank of America site BankofAmericasuck.com, says the employee contacted the group to blow the whistle on Bank of America's shady business practices. "I seen some of the emails… I can tell you Grade A Fraud in its purest form…" read one tweet. "He Just told me he have GMAC emails showing BoA order to mix loan numbers to not match it's Documents.. to foreclose on Americans.. Shame."

An Anonymous insider told us he believes the leak is real. "From what I know and have been told, it's legit," he said. "Should be a round of emails, then some files, possible some more emails to follow that." The documents should be released Monday on Anonleaks.ch, the same site where Anonymous posted thousands of internal emails from hacked security company HBGary last month. That leak exposed a legally-questionable plot to attack Wikileaks and ultimately led to the resignation of HBGary CEO Aaron Barr.

It is unclear whether this will be yet another climax-free build up, but Anonymous has certainly proven their mettle by putting HBGary effectively out of business with one masterful hack.

Those I've spoken to in Anonymous are convinced there's something to this. Anonymous has a proven track record with leaks, and Bank of America has been in their crosshairs since they cut off payments to Wikileaks in December. If it's real, it could be big. Keep your eye on anonleaks.ch: It should hit Monday.

We urge readers to check into http://hbgary.anonleaks.ch/ first thing Monday - after all this is the portal that released the original damning HBGary evidence, and brought down the firm within weeks. If it can do the same with Bank of America, Monday may just soon be a national holiday.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Same here, we're down ~5% from when we bought in Nov '07 but still have almost 20% equity due to a large downpayment and monthly payments to the principal since then.

Also just did the math, and we've saved ~$8,000 so far in the last 3.5 years by buying a house as opposed to renting an identical one even after the decline in housing value. Renting a house was actually *more* expensive than our mortgage/property tax/insurance payments, so even with the slight decline in value we're still ahead of the game. :thumb:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Xpost from the wikileaks thread. This plus Japan melting down could make for an interesting day tomorrow. Or my tinfoil is too tight, either one is equally plausible

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
And the slide continues. :weee:
(Reuters) - Sales of previously owned U.S. homes plunged in February and prices hit their lowest level in nearly nine years, indicating a housing market recovery was still a long way off.

The National Association of Realtors said on Monday sales fell 9.6 percent month over month to an annual rate of 4.88 million units, snapping three straight months of gains. The percentage decline was the largest since July.

The weak sales were the latest evidence of the malaise in the housing sector and confirmed it would remain outside the strengthening and broadening economic recovery.

"The housing market is still very depressed and a major drag on the economy, especially household net worth," said Chris Christopher, a senior economist at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Economists had expected a decline of only 4 percent to a 5.15 million-unit pace. The actual drop was greater than even the most pessimistic forecast in a Reuters survey of 53 economists.

Analysts said harsh winter weather in January could have curbed February sales. Existing home sales are measured when contracts are closed and last month's sales decline was telegraphed by a drop in January's pending contracts.

The Realtors' group also said tight credit conditions and home appraisals that fell short of agreed-upon selling prices weighed on sales.

A glut of homes on the market and a flood of foreclosures are holding back recovery in the housing sector, whose collapse helped to tip the U.S. economy into its worst recession since the 1930s.

In addition to the weak housing market, rising crude oil prices are a threat to the economy's recovery and a survey on Monday showed about three-quarters of Americans were scaling back spending because of high gasoline prices.

PLUNGING HOUSE PRICES A WORRY

U.S. financial markets largely ignored the data, with stocks on Wall Street ending 1.5 percent higher. Prices for U.S. government debt fell and the dollar hit a fresh 4-1/2-month low against the euro but rose against the yen.

Though economists cautiously hope an improving labor market will lift home sales in the months ahead, plunging house prices could throw a spanner in the works.

NAR said the median home price dropped 5.2 percent in February from a year earlier to $156,100, the lowest since April 2002, in a sign of the relentless downward pressure on prices from a market flooded with foreclosure sales.

"If the price declines persist, even with the job market recovery, that could hamper recovery in the housing market," said Lawrence Yun, the trade group's chief economist.

Data last week showed a plunge in housing starts and the government on Wednesday is expected report a marginal rise in new single-family home sales in February. Home resales make up more than 90 percent of national sales and economists said they would continue to weigh on new home sales and building.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/21/us-usa-economy-housing-idUSTRE72F3XG20110321

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
There is an opening in PDX right now I'm considering putting in for. Think I might wait.
The much-feared "double-dip" in housing may finally be here, as home prices in 11 major U.S. cities reached new lows in December, according to data released today.

Home prices across 20 major U.S. cities have fallen drastically over the last year, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index released Tuesday.

Overall, the composite index fell 3.1 percent, which Bloomberg notes is the biggest year-over-year decrease in over a year. Of the 20 housing markets surveyed, only Washington D.C.'s housing market experienced a positive annual growth rate of 3.6 percent. Home prices in San Diego also rose, but at a negligible rate of 0.1 percent.

"The housing market recession is not yet over, and none of the statistics are indicating any form of sustained recovery," David M. Blitzer, Chairman of the Index Committee, said in a statement on the findings. "At most, we have seen all statistics bounce along their troughs; at worst, the feared double-dip recession may be materializing."

Survey results had particularly troubling news for Atlanta, which joins Cleveland, Detroit and Las Vegas as the fourth city where home prices have fallen to their lowest average since the 1990s.

Of the twenty cities surveyed, Phoenix witnessed the steepest decline in home values from last year (9.1 percent). After that, those cities faring worst were Detroit (8.1), Portland (7.8), and Minneapolis (7.6).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/29/housing-markets-value-decline_n_841897.html

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there was a blurb on the crawl at the bottom of the screen on cnn yesterday afternoon....13% of homes in the US are vacant....