Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Shit... I could refi to that AGAIN and still end up net positive. Even after the recent fees I paid. WTF is wrong with this world?
I'm closing on yet another refi on the Denver house very soon. 1.75%, cash out to get back to just under conforming limit, $778 in points, $1,900 in other various and sundry loan fees then the prepaids.

:notbadobama:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The cost of a $100,000 mortgage in 2006 was $225,654. The cost of a $141,000 mortgage today would be $211,822.

So houses are a lot more expensive if you're paying cash, possibly cheaper if you are borrowing.
That's all well and good, except where in contiguous united states is any house selling for 100K? Sure, borrowing is cheaper, but that doesn't mean much when a shitbox anywhere outside of Bumblefuck Nebrahoma has gone up in price exponentially over the last 8 years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's all well and good, except where in contiguous united states is any house selling for 100K? Sure, borrowing is cheaper, but that doesn't mean much when a shitbox anywhere outside of Bumblefuck Nebrahoma has gone up in price exponentially over the last 8 years.
Those prices scale up per $100k multiple

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

100k is just a nice even number to play with. Move the decimal point to the right one digit of it makes you feel better. The resulting cost is ten times more then, because math.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yea, but median household income from 2006 -> 2019 (latest year for which I could find data) was up 12%! I'm sure that more than offsets a 41% increase in house prices. :rolleyes:
Obviously things are very different by region, but price is not equal to cost. With significantly lower interest rates compared to 2006, buying power for the average schmuck in Meanviille USA has gone up about 45%.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
100k is just a nice even number to play with. Move the decimal point to the right one digit of it makes you feel better. The resulting cost is ten times more then, because math.
Sure. But the point I was trying to make is, what does it matter how cheap borrowing is if the price of a home is simply out of reach?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sure. But the point I was trying to make is, what does it matter how cheap borrowing is if the price of a home is simply out of reach?
But that's why Westy picked those numbers. Even at a nominal 41% increase the dollar cost is less due to rates (if he did his math right).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Because people don't buy houses based on the price. They buy based on the monthly payment. A $1000 monthly payment will get you a $240,000 mortgage today. In 2006 that would only get you about $160,000.

Now that down payment will be a little harder to come by about $4,000.

I am not doing any math, just using the Google mortgage calculator and using interest rates of 2.9% for today and 6.4% for 2006. 30 year fixed rate.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Because people don't buy houses based on the price. They buy based on the monthly payment. A $1000 monthly payment will get you a $240,000 mortgage today.
Which brings me back to, where exactly can you find a home for that cheap? Not in this town, and certainly not in Seattle. Hell, you probably would have had a hard time finding a 240k house in Seattle when I left the PNW 18 years ago.

The whole attitude of "I can afford the monthly payment!" is why there are 8 year car loans and a huge part of how we got into the housing collapse of 07/08. Price matters, or it should. Because these are exactly the sort of dummies who will stretch themselves so thin to make that 1000 a month, and not factor in escrow, insurance, wear and tear, etc, etc and then default in 6-7 years.

Edit: I'm not claiming the math is wrong, I'm saying it doesn't matter. Or it won't, soon enough.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which brings me back to, where exactly can you find a home for that cheap? Not in this town, and certainly not in Seattle. Hell, you probably would have had a hard time finding a 240k house in Seattle when I left the PNW 18 years ago.

The whole attitude of "I can afford the monthly payment!" is why there are 8 year car loans and a huge part of how we got into the housing collapse of 07/08. Price matters, or it should. Because these are exactly the sort of dummies who will stretch themselves so thin to make that 1000 a month, and not factor in escrow, insurance, wear and tear, etc, etc and then default in 6-7 years.

Edit: I'm not claiming the math is wrong, I'm saying it doesn't matter. Or it won't, soon enough.
Again I am just using nice round numbers not saying there are $160,000 houses to be had in most markets. Multiply that mortgage payment and the mortgage amount by the same number and the math is the same. Or lets make it simpler. In 2006 a monthly mortgage payment of $X would get you a $160X house (less down payment) Today a mortgage payment of $X will get you a house of $240X.

And this is an apples to apples comparison, same 30 year fixed mortgage. Not a comparison with some new financial scam. The total cost of the house is simply the mortgage payment x 360 plus the down payment.

Unless you are paying cash, no one can afford the "price" of the house. You afford the "cost" of the house with a mortgage. There are a lot of forces that are driving up home prices, but lets be clear, lower interests rates are a significant force in that increase.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Over a longer period of time the relationship is not as clear. Perhaps the moral of this is that the horse was already far out of the barn since the 1980s.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Over a longer period of time the relationship is not as clear. Perhaps the moral of this is that the horse was already far out of the barn since the 1980s.

Would be interesting to see inflation along with that, I believe it was rather high starting in the late 70's.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Here’s a whole-of-US affordability index (high is better):

A5CC9441-91B8-4F87-9EF9-6CB27306BA14.jpeg

and here is a straight price comparison against select other nations:

F9E26EE5-A791-4D07-8D70-9A81938693DD.jpeg

NZ Millennials: ‘Ouch’.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All I know is houses cost about 3-4x as much as 20 years ago for the same shit and people aren’t making 4x as much.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
All I know is houses cost about 3-4x as much as 20 years ago for the same shit and people aren’t making 4x as much.

Yep and in NZ the average house price is in excess of 10 years pre tax average income.
In 1980 it was 2.5 x average income, rent is now about 50-60% of the average takehome pay...... so saving a multi 100k deposit is essentially impossible for the majority of the population.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yep and in NZ the average house price is in excess of 10 years pre tax average income.
In 1980 it was 2.5 x average income, rent is now about 50-60% of the average takehome pay...... so saving a multi 100k deposit is essentially impossible for the majority of the population.
Subscription business models for everything!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife and I were just laughing about that. When she started in hygiene, she was making $40/hour and it was great money. 17 years later and she was making $45/hour but was only working 36 hours a week due to pain. She now makes less than half that, but works from home.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

But it is not the same thing. Posted earlier was about how the average size home has almost doubled. There is also the HGTV effect where everyone NEEDs those marble countertops and travertine tile vs formica and linoleum. There has also been significant changes in zoning in a lot of areas requiring certain levels of

Salaries may not have gone up that much but household income has with a lot more dual income families than in the past.
1630693947717.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But it is not the same thing. Posted earlier was about how the average size home has almost doubled. There is also the HGTV effect where everyone NEEDs those marble countertops and travertine tile vs formica and linoleum. There has also been significant changes in zoning in a lot of areas requiring certain levels of

Salaries may not have gone up that much but household income has with a lot more dual income families than in the past.
View attachment 164409
But no one (developers, contractors) builds "normal" homes anymore. There's no incentive to do so. So effectively, 4x as much.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
But no one (developers, contractors) builds "normal" homes anymore. There's no incentive to do so. So effectively, 4x as much.
Around here, even when they do build more "normal" sized homes (~1700 sqft), they usually start at $400K.

There are however, plenty of developments that are $800K+.

There are more dual income families these days because there is often no other way to make it work.
Very true. Only a single couple (other than ourselves, for the time being) among my wife and my network isn't a dual income household.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't believe math works that way.
No, that is exactly how it works. Multiply the input of the function by a value (mortgage amount) and the resulting output (total mortgage cost) is multiplied by that same value

The total cost of a 30 year mortgage for various loan amounts at 3.92%
$100->$170
$1,000->$1,702
$10,000->$17,021
$100,000->$170,213
$200,000->$340,427
$300,000->$510,640

Works the exact same way for the monthly payment.

mortgage loan cost formula

r = Monthly Interest Rate (in Decimal Form) =
(Yearly Interest Rate/100) / 12

P = Principal Amount on the Loan

N = Total # of Months for the loan ( Years on the loan x 12)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are more dual income families these days because there is often no other way to make it work.

Yes for a lot of people. No for a lot of other people. There are people who need multiple jobs to pay the bills to put food on the table and roof over their heads. Then there are families that have multiple incomes so they can have nice big house in a nice neighborhood in a nice school district and have a 3 row German SUV. But I am sure if you asked those people they would claim that they NEED those things. That second group is a contributing factor to higher housing prices because they have the capacity to pay more and the number of those families has increased over the years.

These are the people who have been gentrifying areas all over the country for years, driving people out of their neighborhoods for decades. Only now, in some areas, those same people are getting gentrified out of places they feel entitled to be and suddenly now it is a problem.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yes for a lot of people. No for a lot of other people. There are people who need multiple jobs to pay the bills to put food on the table and roof over their heads. Then there are families that have multiple incomes so they can have nice big house in a nice neighborhood in a nice school district and have a 3 row German SUV. But I am sure if you asked those people they would claim that they NEED those things. That second group is a contributing factor to higher housing prices because they have the capacity to pay more and the number of those families has increased over the years.

There is also the child care gap where you need to be able to make enough money to make it worthwhile to have two working parents, which then opens further opportunities for higher paying jobs.

This isn't just an issue with housing prices but also a factor in the increasing equity gap. A family with two professional college educated incomes is going to have much greater financial opportunity to build wealth and pass said opportunities and wealth on to their children.
I’m definitely in a tough place as a single income household, even though I’ve got a white collar paycheck. I’ve hesitated in the housing market knowing that if I ever lost my job I’d be going from some income to no income. Two income households have a better safety net in that regard.

Oddly enough, my hesitation to buy a house 5 years ago might’ve been a smart move. I changed jobs 2.5 years ago, but if I had stayed with that company I’d be in trouble, as the axe is falling on that company now. Of course now I can’t get into neighborhoods I was considering 5 years ago since prices are up 50+%.

DINK households aren’t uncommon in these parts, and it certainly shapes the market.