Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had some douche ask me if the person I was discussing was just smart or "seattle smart"

Fucker wouldnt shut up about the cultural superiority of cascadia. Like every other nazi spending his moms money...

Don't know exactly what it is about people around here but there doesn't seem to be an ounce of common sense in this place. A few weeks ago I saw a woman with an armful of bent up beer cans trying to straighten them out so the would fit into the hole cut in top of a bin lid. I walked over and lifted the lid for her so she could toss the bent up empties. In what I assume was an attempt to defend her intelligence she told me she had a PhD in biology.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
an attempt to defend her intelligence she told me she had a PhD in biology.
:rofl:

It's all big cities. Manhattan probably the worst with SF a very close second and kind of in its own league. Berkely is its own universe, literally. Only difference with cALiFoRnIA™ is that the whole state below 3k elevation acts like that, and then again above 6k elevation.

(not seattle but you'll enjoy)
I was in bellingham a few years ago and was walking up to a grocery store with a single shopping bag full of trash I'd accumulated from sleeping in the back of my truck, camped out at various bike trails for a week. Right as I threw it in the trash can outside some bat crazy bitch starts tearing into me about how I should be ashamed at myself for not throwing away my trash at home and that doing what I was doing was disgraceful and what was wrong with the world. I clapped back, called her an arrogant cunt, explained that this trash bag represented an entire week of trash not sitting on the forest floor she probably has signed pictures of hanging in her parlor and that next time, to avoid offending her on a sidewalk, I'd be sure to dump it all in lake whatcom. Given I definitely look like a homeless dude on road trips, you could just see the gears spinning as we stared at each other for like 40 seconds before she actually apologized. But as she did, she made the little hand wave away from herself and just said, "well, my mistake" :rofl:

Every time I come up your way, I still like to heckle an old girlfriend who lives on vashon by saying "hey I'm in seattle" while seeing a friend in Kirkland, just to hear her go "uh, that's not seattle"

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:rofl:

It's all big cities. Manhattan probably the worst with SF a very close second and kind of in its own league. Berkely is its own universe, literally. Only difference with cALiFoRnIA™ is that the whole state below 3k elevation acts like that, and then again above 6k elevation.

(not seattle but you'll enjoy)
I was in bellingham a few years ago and was walking up to a grocery store with a single shopping bag full of trash I'd accumulated from sleeping in the back of my truck, camped out at various bike trails for a week. Right as I threw it in the trash can outside some bat crazy bitch starts tearing into me about how I should be ashamed at myself for not throwing away my trash at home and that doing what I was doing was disgraceful and what was wrong with the world. I clapped back, called her an arrogant cunt, explained that this trash bag represented an entire week of trash not sitting on the forest floor she probably has signed pictures of hanging in her parlor and that next time, to avoid offending her on a sidewalk, I'd be sure to dump it all in lake whatcom. Given I definitely look like a homeless dude on road trips, you could just see the gears spinning as we stared at each other for like 40 seconds before she actually apologized. But as she did, she made the little hand wave away from herself and just said, "well, my mistake" :rofl:

Every time I come up your way, I still like to heckle an old girlfriend who lives on vashon by saying "hey I'm in seattle" while seeing a friend in Kirkland, just to hear her go "uh, that's not seattle"

Sounds about right. I assume that anonymous passive aggressive letter writing is part of the local high school curriculum.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Other people saying in more detail the thing I keep saying

“We have a housing market in which prices only go up. And, therefore, housing has become an investment asset for corporations, hedge funds, real estate investment trusts and pension funds. Housing has become an investment for global financial actors, and has more in common with the stock market than it does with shoes.”

Ultimately, however, Rosenthal doubts that reform will do the trick.

“This system can’t be fixed,” Rosenthal said. “It can only be overthrown, transformed and replaced.”

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
it's shocking that the US media is just now starting to talk about this. there is no WAY they're pulling back and surviving, shit they're literally giving away buildings to creditors now in lieu of payment, an blowing up other buildings to reduce the supply of housing in oversaturated areas.

this Wednesday and Thursday is going to be extra spicy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
it's shocking that the US media is just now starting to talk about this. there is no WAY they're pulling back and surviving, shit they're literally giving away buildings to creditors now in lieu of payment, an blowing up other buildings to reduce the supply of housing in oversaturated areas.

this Wednesday and Thursday is going to be extra spicy.

I think it has been on the radar for a while, just starting to see the impact here. But why worry eh? Wasn't like the US mortgage shit affected the rest of the world. And if it does surely just will screw over the rich and the little guys will be able to pick up cheap homes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The pod that used to be on Division was awesome. It's an apartment building now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Great, now I am hungry for croutons.
did you know the Cesar Salad was invented in Tijajuana?
You can still go Cesar’s restaurant, my attorney says they have some of the best beef Wellington around. I like to pronounce Cesar salad the Spanish way.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Its fun to watch a mature country actually do something

Don't think the constitutional court will let this pass and I don't see how this will help in the medium term. That same coalition passed their cap on rents a few years ago to disastrous results, lowering the rents of the kind of well off hipsters that increasingly populate Berlin and are more than happy to stay in their cheaper apartments now, while pricing lower income families out of the rent market without making any difference on the supply side. That law was also declared unconstitutional and it looks like the current coalition just got voted out.

All the while Berlin keeps a defunct airport the size of an entire district right in center of the city for urban gardening and rollerblading, but god forbid someone suggests the city use at least part of the available space for apartments.

I'm all for the city doing something about affordable housing, but I think they'd be more effective if they shortened the ludicrously long approval processes for new buildings and started using the money they don't have to build affordable apartments themselves.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The popularity of Rammstein can be blamed almost entirely on the United States. Airport is empty save for the occasional exhibition, still a classic piece of architecture worth preserving.

Not sure how good your German is, but that bullshit bingo is hardly some gotcha mic drop.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The popularity of Rammstein can be blamed almost entirely on the United States. Airport is empty save for the occasional exhibition, still a classic piece of architecture worth preserving.

Not sure how good your German is, but that bullshit bingo is hardly some gotcha mic drop.
My german sucks, I got like 12 words on that card. I just like the concept.

Every airport is different in terms of layout and architecture but seems like wasted space. Wasn't implying tearing it down or anything, but figuring out a way to use it.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
My german sucks, I got like 12 words on that card. I just like the concept.

Every airport is different in terms of layout and architecture but seems like wasted space. Wasn't implying tearing it down or anything, but figuring out a way to use it.
That's not how I took it at all. Shouldn't be hard to find use for the airport buildings that still preserves them. It's been called the mother of all airports for good reason and I wouldn't sacrifice it for apartments just due to its historical significance.
The giant space around it containing the runways is another matter. Berlin already has tons of parks and green inside the city, and you could keep a large chunk of open space and still built tons of apartments there.
tempelhof.png

It really is a huge piece of land, with the airport buildings only occupyin the north western corner.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but I'd wager that Berlin hipsters are about as irritating as Tahoe second home owners.