Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Denver had Stapleton Airport within city limits, replaced by a bigger airport with better security, out on the eastern plains. After the airport was retired kept the control tower (turned it into a Punchbowl Social bowling alley/bar for a bit but that ended). Everything else got torn up and the soil pollution remediated, and then building started in 2003, continuing to this date in the northernmost reaches.

Now it's a bunch of housing (mix of SFH, duplexes, some apartments centered around mixed use developments) with lots of green spaces, built in big parks and open spaces with multi-use paths. All utilities are underground and parts of the neighborhood (like mine) have gigabit fiber. Through self-selection many of the people who moved to this new development within Denver proper have young kids, and thus the local schools are pretty good.

The only real fly in the ointment is that the name was changed after it came to be widespread knowledge that the eponymous Walker Stapleton for whom the airport was named was a KKK member and all. So now it's "Central Park" instead.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^sniped

I remembered denver doing something similar

thankfully now denver is a completely affordable city :rofl:

Shouldn't be hard to find use for the airport buildings that still preserves them.
In my mind, we're saying the same thing.

That really is pretty friggin huge

In the US, a very ambitious, very well done development plan would be passed, budgeted, and then right before construction any affordable housing designs would be scrapped for luxury condos that make the developer more money. Then those get bought by rich people and only seldom used.

It happens again, and again, and again here. They get shit passed under the guise of community improvement, and then back out.

I still want to see a major city take over the wasted housing stock, held by large investors instead of just continue to give money to developers...... Maybe one day

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
$880k for a .25 acre lot that used to have an amazing house on it. :(

There is a beautiful 1903 craftsman style house down the road that is supposed to be getting an apartment complex in its place. The sellers are requiring that before construction can begin, someone needs to buy and move the original house. But after a few years with no takers I can see it getting bulldozed. Probably no takers because you still need to spend $800K for a lot to put it on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My parents told me yesterday of the story of our old neighbors back in our gated CA community. They tried to sell their house for 670K, but ran into some health issues or something and couldn't at the time last year. Now, post-fire (one of the communities South of Highway 50 that was evacuated) the insurance costs 20K a year on such a house, so they just sold it for 620K instead, that's the loss caused by the fire. They made it out to sound like this was horrible, some giant conspiracy, etc. WTF, a couple percentage points? I'm lucky to get within 8% of what I want when I sell a used bicycle part. People have become fucking obsessed with this to the point where they put themselves in these "I can't possibly lose" situations. Anyway I LOLed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My parents told me yesterday of the story of our old neighbors back in our gated CA community. They tried to sell their house for 670K, but ran into some health issues or something and couldn't at the time last year. Now, post-fire (one of the communities South of Highway 50 that was evacuated) the insurance costs 20K a year on such a house, so they just sold it for 620K instead, that's the loss caused by the fire. They made it out to sound like this was horrible, some giant conspiracy, etc. WTF, a couple percentage points? I'm lucky to get within 8% of what I want when I sell a used bicycle part. People have become fucking obsessed with this to the point where they put themselves in these "I can't possibly lose" situations. Anyway I LOLed.

But but but, prices can only go up?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sly park area?

I know two families that lost their places in Grizzly flats. I know the younger son and his wife but his parents had been there forever. It was sickening watching all the coverage of tahoe which lost zero structures when that shit got like 1/10 of the attention

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sly park area?

I know two families that lost their places in Grizzly flats. I know the younger son and his wife but his parents had been there forever. It was sickening watching all the coverage of tahoe which lost zero structures when that shit got like 1/10 of the attention
News organizations rarely care about information as they are about the most attention with the lowest cost to produce. Same deal with the pretty missing white girl.

A woman's body was found literally a block away from my house. I didn't even hear about it until a neighbor mentioned it, I had to dig around a bit to find a news article. Her last name was Gonzalez. You'd think that perhaps someone would have knocked on my door and asked if I had seen anything.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sly park area?

Close, just about 2 exits down the freeway, but the community is about halfway between Camino and Pollock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A woman's body was found literally a block away from my house. I didn't even hear about it until a neighbor mentioned it, I had to dig around a bit to find a news article. Her last name was Gonzalez. You'd think that perhaps someone would have knocked on my door and asked if I had seen anything.
similar thing happened by me, domestic turned to homicide in a national historic site (valley forge). not much of a blip, when the guy turned himself in he needed an interpreter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks to reporting and your anecdotes, I feel like I know enough about seattle law enforcement that no, I wouldn't think that at all.

Work is hard. Especially when you've got so many bicycle based copaganda videos to make.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks to reporting and your anecdotes, I feel like I know enough about seattle law enforcement that no, I wouldn't think that at all.

Work is hard. Especially when you've got so many bicycle based copaganda videos to make.

Too busy making overtime and causing traffic jams directing traffic for pedestrians going to/from Mariners games rather than just making them take the pedestrian bridge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout