Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Imagine all the poor fuckers that resigned themselves and just paid through the nose over the last 3 years for property and are going to be under water... it's like déjà-vu. Again.
:wave:. That's me!

Of course, unless the market drops 20%, we'll still be above water. Guess it's a good thing we intend to stay for a while?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep. Maybe some day we can divorce homes from investments. Not holding my breath that it's in my lifetime, though. :disgust:
Yes, if we see a market decline, rich people will protect rich people at all costs. You think they are going to give up a boat or home or two? Over their cold dead brodozer.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yep. Maybe some day we can divorce homes from investments. Not holding my breath that it's in my lifetime, though. :disgust:
If only. Instead, when the market shits the fan, people will lose their homes and investment banks will snatch them up at depressed prices and the cycle will repeat itself again.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Imagine all the poor fuckers that resigned themselves and just paid through the nose over the last 3 years for property and are going to be under water... it's like déjà-vu. Again.
The whole concept of monetarism and monetary policy are scams.
They are designed to squeeze labor out of those who dont own any capital/real estate, for capital gains.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Thats just not possible by design. If you are a wage earner... buying property is the only/best protection you have against monetary squeezes.
If you are a wage earner, you are fucked if you do... but more fucked if you dont

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
This sounds dangerously like commie talk!
If you are a rent-paying wage-earner.... and the central bank suddenly increases 2x the currency available; your rent is going up (some of that money will be added real estate demand), inflation will eat away your consumption power and your salary purchasing power will go down.
And as seen by data from the last 50 years... inflation will outpace wages/productivity. The whole system is rigged. Its not even free market capitalism. You have to buy real estate.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If you are a rent-paying wage-earner.... and the central bank suddenly increases 2x the currency available; your rent is going up (some of that money will be added real estate demand), inflation will eat away your consumption power and your salary purchasing power will go down.
And as seen by data from the last 50 years... inflation will outpace wages/productivity. The whole system is rigged. Its not even free market capitalism. You have to buy real estate.
I wish you the best of luck when explaining that to the average republican voter.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

It's just about perfect and we could sell our place for that or more so it's a push. But when I saw 7.5% :panic:
But now you have more negotiating power than even 6 months ago, arguably less competition, and you can refi in +/- a couple years.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But now you have more negotiating power than even 6 months ago, arguably less competition, and you can refi in +/- a couple years.
This was the thought when I bought my very first house in '99 at 10.7% and 2 years later I was so under water I was lucky to sell it back to the builder and walk away.

Of course there was a huge crash and I went from $80k/year to $10/hr that made refinancing a challenge, but you know. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This was the thought when I bought my very first house in '99 at 10.7% and 2 years later I was so under water I was lucky to sell it back to the builder and walk away.

Of course there was a huge crash and I went from $80k/year to $10/hr that made refinancing a challenge, but you know. :rofl:
Our 1st mortgage in 2000 was at 8.25%. And we refi'd down to something like 6% just a couple years later, IIRC.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Our 1st mortgage in 2000 was at 8.25%. And we refi'd down to something like 6% just a couple years later, IIRC.
We just refinanced to something stupid like 2.8? I forget but our payment is tiny now because the wife had a small 2nd that was like 6%. We are basically making 1.5 payments now. While that place is damn near perfect, the timing couldn't be worse.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:stupid:

It's worth pointing out that historically speaking, 7% is a decent rate. The aberration has been the <3% rates we've grown accustomed to. I'm extremely skeptical that we see those sorts of rates again any time in the coming decade.
7% wasn't a bad interest rate when the median home price was still around $100k

gonefirefightin

free wieners

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but yes, i took advantage of the crazy low interest rates to refi, currently sitting at 2.75%. the house 2 down from us just sold for $200k more than we bought ours 9 years ago. it was still lived in by the original owners (from the 1960's) so the interior needs a lot of modernizing. which is crazy.