Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It's all disgusting

I was talking with my partner last night as we're looking at houses down the hill (reno/carson city) which used to be the cheap option and they're all way more than what she paid for this place in 2005 (another 'peak' period). Graphics like this show a little bit why. Income vs. home price. The ones at the bottom, where your area and mine certainly would fall show one thing: people that live and work in these places aren't the ones buying the houses. Something I've bitched about for a long time in this thread but this is millionaire/billionaire second-tenth homes and VC investments eating up housing.

This shit can't last. But given this inflation is for different reasons than 2008 and all these investment companies built a model of eating up housing in the recovery to either control prices in neighborhoods that they all own, or create astronomical rentals, I don't see how this ends.
woo,that is what I keep thinking,it has no ending? They are digging a Hole for themselves,on behalf of all of us. They are getting Rich,but what do they do when no one is there to do the work that makes them money?
Am I makin sense to ya?

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rocky Vertone

Hey Jackson Hole Locals!!! I need your help. I am assuming most of you know that I own Full Circle Frameworks picture frame shop in town  and I have had this business for 20 years here in town. I am currently located at 65 Mercill Ave., and I have been there for the past three years. Some of you might not know that my building got sold last year. It was purchased by a company called Mogul Capital out of Utah. they have basically bought almost the whole block in that area and are building a big ass hotel and condos. (FUCKING LAME). I just found out last night that they got approval and permits are going to be issued possibly on Monday. This will result in the demolition of my building sooner than later.  Obviously I am not very thrilled about this and I am very concerned about the future of my business. Bottom line is that I am looking for a new space for Full Circle. Any leads would be greatly appreciated and please comment or message me with anything. I appreciate it!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rocky Vertone

Hey Jackson Hole Locals!!! I need your help. I am assuming most of you know that I own Full Circle Frameworks picture frame shop in town  and I have had this business for 20 years here in town. I am currently located at 65 Mercill Ave., and I have been there for the past three years. Some of you might not know that my building got sold last year. It was purchased by a company called Mogul Capital out of Utah. they have basically bought almost the whole block in that area and are building a big ass hotel and condos. (FUCKING LAME). I just found out last night that they got approval and permits are going to be issued possibly on Monday. This will result in the demolition of my building sooner than later.  Obviously I am not very thrilled about this and I am very concerned about the future of my business. Bottom line is that I am looking for a new space for Full Circle. Any leads would be greatly appreciated and please comment or message me with anything. I appreciate it!

No one wants to work anymore, just looking for handouts.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if i did not mind winter 8 months out of the year

Screenshot_20230330_130128_Instagram.jpg

inside of house is amazing....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Shit is fucked up and bullshit...

View attachment 191762
here we're trying to figure out how to keep home prices skyrocketing while still getting the slave labor to show up for their minimum wage jobs.

See now it's not a housing problem it's just a transportation problem...

progress!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
In San Diego my wrecking yards were struggling with high rents and environmental pressures which are expensive. Many complained about eBay and certifit cutting into sales. I always thought a local co-op storefront and have the yards/cars in Arizona was a good idea.

if only America had invested in passenger trains……This mess would be a different mess.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
im a sucker for 12 foot ceilings

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How mountain towns work.

Just read the first sentence. Developers get agency approval/attention with a plan to build what everyone needs and wants. Gets agency approval and then changes development plans to 'lUxUrY' bullshit no one wants or needs, and then skirts local regulations that generally are a good thing.

every
fucking
time

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
How mountain towns work.

Just read the first sentence. Developers get agency approval/attention with a plan to build what everyone needs and wants. Gets agency approval and then changes development plans to 'lUxUrY' bullshit no one wants or needs, and then skirts local regulations that generally are a good thing.

every
fucking
time

So how are your exit plans looking?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How mountain towns work.

every
fucking
time

I assume these are being built out of combustible materials?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How mountain towns work.

every
fucking
time

that's fucked up.

meanwhile Winter Park is actually Doing a Good(tm)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that's fucked up.

meanwhile Winter Park is actually Doing a Good(tm)

that's not a 'good thing' that's slave quarters

necessitated by the condition they helped foster

You're new in town but there used to be an actual community there. "Workforce housing" ain't that. That's just rich dumbfucks realizing they need someone to work for shit money to make their lattes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The county needs affordable housing.

This is affordable housing, and walkable to work + shuttles to town.

I'm not sure what you realistically envision that'd be better.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I lived in WP/Fraser in ‘87, it was never really much of a community, TBH. It was the same, 11 of us living in a 5 bedroom house or whatever. I had a closet under the stairs, I was a high roller because I paid $175 a month.

Denver had just collapsed economically due to some oil related thing, so there were many, many empty weekend homes, and very few skiers. The ski train wasn’t running, and Berthoud was closed. It was idyllic in a way. But lots of closed storefronts.

Here is the crazy thing. I worked a few days a week as a housekeeper, and we got paid $15-18 an hour…almost thirty years ago. It’s what, $20-25 an hour now?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

You're new in town but there used to be an actual community there. "Workforce housing" ain't that. That's just rich dumbfucks realizing they need someone to work for shit money to make their lattes.
The Gulag.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The county needs affordable housing.

This is affordable housing, and walkable to work + shuttles to town.

I'm not sure what you realistically envision that'd be better.
Honestly man. That's complete horseshit. That dumbass mindset is nothing more than justifying gentrification while maintaining the services you depend on as a quite privelidged aMeRiCaN.

You're not stupid. That's not "affordable housing" that's exactly what I said it is, slave quarters. This country needs a housing market that's not up wall street's ass. That's not 'affordable housing' that's making sure your valet is there to park your fucking tesla. This country needs community. Not a place to sleep so someone can wax your fucking skis, while you get to cleanse your conscience that over the complete takeover of an entire valley for let's just say, your class of visitor to maintain the caliber of service folk you've come to expect.

In a press release from another era that's just "employee housing". Go back a little further and there's a mention of scrip as payment. You fall in love with modern dialectic because it eases your conscience. It's the same old shit it's always been.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You're full of vitriol, but again, what do you actually think is feasible to build and affordable enough for ye olde 20 year old liftie?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You're full of vitriol, but again, what do you actually think is feasible to build and affordable enough for ye olde 20 year old liftie?
I mean hey the important part for shareholders is that winter park continue to exist on shit wages amirite?

You're focusing on the wrong end.

Again.

You're talking about a job that can literally cause a few hundred deaths at a time. With seasonal turnover because of the payscale. God forbid we create an experienced expert who gives a shit about their job and gets paid for that expertise.

I've worked at a ski area. You have no idea.

You don't need to "build" anything. Rent your house up there year round to a local. Until then you're just performing. You don't actually care about this. You don't give a flying fuck as long as you can keep skiing with a clear conscience.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Shits just not affordable. All of it, the labor materials, the permits, the land. A collapse is what is needed, maybe all the boomers will die off and with population decline things may stabilize. Or maybe we will get the dystopian nightmare @kidwoo warned us about.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shits just not affordable. All of it, the labor materials, the permits, the land. A collapse is what is needed, maybe all the boomers will die off and with population decline things may stabilize. Or maybe we will get the dystopian nightmare @kidwoo warned us about.
Nah toshi's ilk goes with the boomers when they get run over on their ebikes by some nutjob in an f250 rolling coal because godking trump and sexual frustration.

In many ways this country has existed on trickle down slavery. It's collapsing. And we're running out of new labor forces to exploit. I'm not entirely sure where to go but massive billionaire CEO wealth falling by the wayside to make way for reasonable pay is a start. But I sure as fuck will not be supporting some shitty vail company town just because some dumbass feels better about his season pass by calling it 'affordable housing.'

The litmus test: If you ever read a press release by a publicly traded multi-million dollar corporation that makes you feel better about continuing to do the same shit you've done for 20 years, you're probably a gullible idiot. Or in other terms "our target demographic clientele"

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The simple answer to what @Toshi is asking and @kidwoo is trying to express is a massive reduction in inequality.
1) Tax the rich, and corporations, a LOT more and get rid of all the ridiculous bloat, exceptions and prejudices of your fucked up tax code.
2) Stop wasting half your tax take on your ridiculous amoral military, and OMG stop subsiding fossil fuels.
3) Introduce minimum wages that both are living wages and track inflation.
4) Stop, as a society, believing the childish, ridiculous idea that the needs of the individual have primacy over society as a whole. Ayn Rand wasn’t right, she was a fucking crazy lady.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The simple answer to what @Toshi is asking and @kidwoo is trying to express is a massive reduction in inequality.
1) Tax the rich, and corporations, a LOT more and get rid of all the ridiculous bloat, exceptions and prejudices of your fucked up tax code.
2) Stop wasting half your tax take on your ridiculous amoral military, and OMG stop subsiding fossil fuels.
3) Introduce minimum wages that both are living wages and track inflation.
4) Stop, as a society, believing the childish, ridiculous idea that the needs of the individual have primacy over society as a whole. Ayn Rand wasn’t right, she was a fucking crazy lady.
sober you is better you

you still fly too much tho...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Kinda looks like the projects are back from here.