Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I guess people must really be chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to work for vail. Only 1 dollar more an hour to be ski patrol that takes years of practice and specialized skills.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I guess people must really be chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to work for vail. Only 1 dollar more an hour to be ski patrol that takes years of practice and specialized skills.
I haven't bought a pass since 2015 when those assholes took over the mountain I used to ride at. They fuckin ruined the place. And the towns, many of the families.....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@kidwoo

when we were living in breckenridge at that snowmobile rental place....the kid who was handling the sled dogs for the operation of the current owner was squatting in one of the abandoned cabins up in the mountains....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
when i hear @Changleen talking about a living wage....and living with dignity....and other assorted things....

and all the cheap labor needed for his green utopia....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hahahaha. how about yeah, price all the workers all the fucking way out, then none of the douches can go there anymore hecause there's no one to serve them and eventually it all goes back to backcountry dirtbagville? it's not like other than tahoe there's *more* snow coming each year....shut it all the hell down.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hahahaha. how about yeah, price all the workers all the fucking way out, then none of the douches can go there anymore hecause there's no one to serve them and eventually it all goes back to backcountry dirtbagville? it's not like other than tahoe there's *more* snow coming each year....shut it all the hell down.
the idiot who wrote atlas shrugged had an interesting idea but was too dumb to realize which end of the spectrum is more powerful

One of the more disgusting sides of this is that the place is going to end up a lot like jackson. Where only the most desperate people take jobs in these places......and are far more easily exploited. Like agriculture...

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
the idiot who wrote atlas shrugged had an interesting idea but was too dumb to realize which end of the spectrum is more powerful

One of the more disgusting sides of this is that the place is going to end up a lot like jackson. Where only the most desperate people take jobs in these places......and are far more easily exploited. Like agriculture...
if You read atlas shrugged as a satire it makes more sense. Those desperate people will eventually fuck that place up like in atlas shrugged. Doing a shit job or trying to unionize and get medical and bringing the whole house of cards down.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
if You read atlas shrugged as a satire it makes more sense.
Literally the only book I've ever read where I just grabbed a bunch of pages between my fingers, flipped over them and never read them, and felt like I never missed a thing. Rourke what's his nuts big long diatribe where he says the same three things for, I guess was like 40 pages :rofl:

There's always someone to exploit, in order to maintain whatever it's called that we maintain these days. When they run out, they just get conditions inflicted on vunerable people to make them more desperate. The american dream I think they cage it as.

You can hear that exact tone when jerome powell talks about increasing unemployment. Literally against the mandate for the existence of the FED.

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Literally the only book I've ever read where I just grabbed a bunch of pages between my fingers, flipped over them and never read them, and felt like I never missed a thing. Rourke what's his nuts big long diatribe where he says the same three things for, I guess was like 40 pages :rofl:

There's always someone to exploit, in order to maintain whatever it's called that we maintain these days. When they run out, they just get conditions inflicted on vunerable people to make them more desperate. The american dream I think they cage it as.

You can hear that exact tone when jerome powell talks about increasing unemployment. Literally against the mandate for the existence of the FED.
I listened to it on cd. It was 50 discs. One whole disk was on smoking cigarettes. Another whole one on a dam sex scene. I swear it’s a boomers hand book to making complaints and solutions. “We built the world and don’t want it to change, nobody wants to work anymore, I’m taking my ball and going home, he who dies with the most toys wins. We’ll save it by making money”. Complete with infrastructure collapse and trains crashing. It is oddly devoid of guns though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I listened to it on cd. It was 50 discs. One whole disk was on smoking cigarettes. Another whole one on a dam sex scene. I swear it’s a boomers hand book to making complaints and solutions. “We built the world and don’t want it to change, nobody wants to work anymore, I’m taking my ball and going home, he who dies with the most toys wins. We’ll save it by making money”. Complete with infrastructure collapse and trains crashing. It is oddly devoid of guns though.
You should write book reviews.

No really, that's pretty spot on :rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You should write book reviews.

No really, that's pretty spot on :rofl:

You guys are better men than me. I was late teens / early 20's and I think I maybe got a third of the way before the library got it back. It is not very often I gave on a book, usually toughed them out hoping for something, but nope, not that one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys are better men than me. I was late teens / early 20's and I think I maybe got a third of the way before the library got it back. It is not very often I gave on a book, usually toughed them out hoping for something, but nope, not that one.
It's garbage.

You're just smarter than the both of us.

I read that when I was about 20. I've learned to quit on shitty books since. I wasn't smart enough back then.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I was mid 30’s, I drive a lot so I listen to audio books. I took breaks and listened to whole other books. It was over 50 hrs of listening time. Truely a daunting task. But I bought it so I fucking finished it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ― John Rogers

I've read Atlas Shrugged 1.5 times. First was in High School, thought it was terrible, but I finished it. Later in life I thought I might take another crack at it, figuring maybe I just hadn't understood it or had missed something by way of being too teenager-y to "get it". Got about half way through before I realized "Nope, this book just sucks." Pretty sure there is still a copy of it in the house somewhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ― John Rogers

I've read Atlas Shrugged 1.5 times. First was in High School, thought it was terrible, but I finished it. Later in life I thought I might take another crack at it, figuring maybe I just hadn't understood it or had missed something by way of being too teenager-y to "get it". Got about half way through before I realized "Nope, this book just sucks." Pretty sure there is still a copy of it in the house somewhere.
i had to read some rand book in high school. it was hot garbage, and i told the teacher so. she almost failed me. fucking boomer.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

I don’t think I could have read it as a teenager or even as a physical book. But while driving having someone read it to me is different. Plus audio books arnt cheap like me. I will admit I liked that it was a vision of the future from a women that while a tabbaco addled fantasy wasn’t all flying cars and robots. I don’t recommend it to people.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'm just going to call it the Idiotarian's Guide to Building a Redoubt from now on.

Kind of like the end of that movie "Don't Look Up"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have read (nearly?) all of Ayn Rand's writings. She is not a good writer by any stretch. "We the living" kinda informs one on how she turned out to be so fucked up in the head, though.

Anyway, I have also read basically all of Heinlein, Philip K Dick, much Tolkien, etc. for context.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i had to read some rand book in high school. it was hot garbage, and i told the teacher so. she almost failed me. fucking boomer.
Yeah, they get all pissy when you call them out for the shit they've invented surrounding some story or book. It basically becomes religion, where you can see any meaning or story if you try hard enough or rationalize it. Sitting here after the fact trying to 2nd guess the author's works is generally BS.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have read (nearly?) all of Ayn Rand's writings. She is not a good writer by any stretch. "We the living" kinda informs one on how she turned out to be so fucked up in the head, though.

Anyway, I have also read basically all of Heinlein, Philip K Dick, much Tolkien, etc. for context.
Yeah but have read Iain M. Banks and Ken McLeod?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Short version when it comes to literary works is that, if it's start point was from an ideological place (pretty much any ideology) then it's gonna be pretty horrible if that one is different to your own.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lots of plausible deniability and/or culpability to go around…either side, there were disgruntled folks.
LOL, the city boarded up a place people were living so motherfuckers burned it down. There's no two sides. It's portland. It wasn't insurance fraud. It was portland showing up. California should take notes.

Portland police only do it when it might actually kill people. This looks different.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Exactly, the squatters could say (blame that)it was insurance fraud/ outmaneuvering the squatters, and the owners can and will just say it was the squatters That burned it down. Or, perhaps, a conspiratorial merging of the two.
Either way, the developers likely win!