Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It just keeps getting better :rofl:

adding more fuel to a housing boom that is already the hottest in 14 years.

Huh. Wonder what was going on exactly 14 years ago with real estate? I wonder if anything bad ever came of it. Oh well, no way to know!

Anybody remember all the japanese 'investment' in american real estate in big cities in the 80s under Regan? And subsequent anti-asian racism of course..... Every morning news show obsessively reporting on the dollar/yen exchange rate is mostly what I remember. Learned a little later why.

Part of what enabled the drumpf family to start building in manhattan btw.....

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I wish the market would collapse. Only cause i want to move and buy a house in another state. But desirable stuff is desirable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

That doesn't seem too far off from what I saw when I was considering moving to LA before the bubble burst in 2009. My company wasn't willing to give me a raise because the average salary for my job was lower in LA than it was in po-dunk Virginia where I bought my house for $118K.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
That doesn't seem too far off from what I saw when I was considering moving to LA before the bubble burst in 2009. My company wasn't willing to give me a raise because the average salary for my job was lower in LA than it was in po-dunk Virginia where I bought my house for $118K.
I was looking at stuff sub-$600 a few years back. My budget was lower but I wanted to see what I’d get if I stretched, trying to understand what the price points had to offer. The places I saw for $500k are now going for $800k. There’s nothing I’d consider now in the areas I was looking. I’m completely priced out of owning anything I’d enjoy in this town.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I was really expecting the Trump Tax changes to hammer the CA market, essentially making the property tax deduction unobtainable for homes over $500k, but here we are.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
america can’t compete in the export markets (except for entertainment) so we gotta invite people over to buy our dirt.
No invite necessary. We're so devoid of substance we can only invent financial products to maintain something of value. That's why NFTs came about. Real estate is the original bitcoin. Fantasy masquerading as a product.

The result is that when we do come to the 'next big thing of value' it's so fucking outrageous and exaggerated, it becomes a good investment opportunity to other nations who long ago phased out that kind of horribly destructive risk.

We of course, never learn lessons so this shit just keeps happening.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
With every house we see, I'm one step closer to throwing in the towel.

The worst part is, the trend is only accelerating, and there's no end in sight. There's a massive shortage of (affordable) housing in this country, with no incentive to build any.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's a massive shortage of (affordable) housing in this country, with no incentive to build any.
Sort of. We have plenty of housing that would/should be affordable. Just no one is allowed to live in it because theres a higher bidder.

I just spent the day tearing into a deck to get some free lumber for a trail bridge over a creek. Talking to the owner, not only is it a 3.3M teardown just because of the view, the previous owner never set foot in the place after buying it for 1.3 in 2013. It was a house bought to be something other than a house.

Housing needs to treated as housing. Until then, fuck this joint. I "bailed out" 20 years ago. My personal capital (which I update daily) has never "crashed." We need far more wall streeters jumping out of windows because their little board game failed from a bad dice roll.

I dont know why anyone subjects themselves to this stupid little game to be honest.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Just like religion, people have to see money and capitalism for what they really are: organising ideas that are 100% under our own control. We made up gods, we made up laws, we made up companies, we made up money. We can change the rules and be ethical about it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just like religion, people have to see money and capitalism for what they really are: organising ideas that are 100% under our own control. We made up gods, we made up laws, we made up companies, we made up money. We can change the rules and be ethical about it.
My favorite part is when you point this out, the inevitable reaction is to point out your "ignorance" just because someone knows the bullshit minutia details of the board game :rofl:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The worst part is, the trend is only accelerating, and there's no end in sight. There's a massive shortage of (affordable) housing in this country, with no incentive to build any.
If you already are willing to deal with shit weather why not just buy a mansion in Cleveland? I used to live nearby, this is a beautiful neighborhood. Smaller homes are available at a much lower price.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well been some big changes for me in the last 3 days.
So on Saturday (NZ time) the holiday home in France was sold.
And today my current house went unconditional so it's now gone.
That means I also went unconditional on on a 5 acre block of land just down the road in Moores Valley.
Next year or so will be me living in a caravan while I get shit sorted for building a house.
From the road up to the ridgeline is 80 vertical meters and then 70m vert down the back side of the ridge to the stream that runs thru the place..... bike tracks will be built! multiple spots where I could do some fairly decent sized road gaps if I wanted.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.18.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.18.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.16.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.17.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 11.21.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 11.20.52 PM.png

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well been some big changes for me in the last 3 days.
So on Saturday (NZ time) the holiday home in France was sold.
And today my current house went unconditional so it's now gone.
That means I also went unconditional on on a 5 acre block of land just down the road in Moores Valley.
Next year or so will be me living in a caravan while I get shit sorted for building a house.
From the road up to the ridgeline is 80 vertical meters and then 70m vert down the back side of the ridge to the stream that runs thru the place..... bike tracks will be built! multiple spots where I could do some fairly decent sized road gaps if I wanted.

View attachment 159250View attachment 159251View attachment 159252View attachment 159253View attachment 159254View attachment 159255
Meh™

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yes, we got that. Shit be cray-cray all over. The same phenomenon is occurring in all the western economies who printed a metric shit ton of fiat whilst keeping interest rates at historic lows. We’d call it inflation if it wasn’t so concentrated in particular markets, or if we were honest.

It’s a problem we can’t adapt to because of the rest of our dumb rules ‘can’t change’ because we can’t admit to ourselves that we made them up ourselves to preserve privilege because that would mean we caused all this suffering unnecessary.

Which of course we did.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Where in MA you looking?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Where in MA you looking?
Main target has been Pepperell, as it represents a balance of rural feel with reasonably good schools. That and proximity to family, friends, and potential employment.

We were looking in Southern NH for a while, but that marker got so hot that the increased taxes blew up any advantage we may have had on selling price.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes, we got that. Shit be cray-cray all over. The same phenomenon is occurring in all the western economies who printed a metric shit ton of fiat whilst keeping interest rates at historic lows. We’d call it inflation if it wasn’t so concentrated in particular markets, or if we were honest.

It’s a problem we can’t adapt to because of the rest of our dumb rules ‘can’t change’ because we can’t admit to ourselves that we made them up ourselves to preserve privilege because that would mean we caused all this suffering unnecessary.

Which of course we did.

I can't wait to storm DaveW's new castle.

I call the north flank!