Quantcast

More talk of dogs

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
stinkyboy said:
I have a rescued fighter, that will prolly end up taking me out one day. I named him Fluffy hoping that would help a little.

Cool on the rescue. My Stella is a rescue too, although not a fighter....she is pretty much full grown and a svelte 57 lbs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeremy R said:
Stinky,
That was really cool of you to take in a rescued pit.
I don't know if it was smart but cool none the less.:)
They will not adopt them out, so they get put down really quick if nobody rescues them.

One day I want to get one a female Staffy Bull, they top out at around 25 pounds or so, but they are a little pocket rocket.
I got a grant while in school that gave me a few thousand bucks for tuition if I volunteered 10hours/week at the local animal shelter. We had to put down a mistreated pitbull that was a mean bastard. It took twice as much drugs to put the dog down as it would a retreiver twice the weight. Scary.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
If I tried to teach my dog to attack, she'd just lick herself and fall asleep.
LOL!!! This weekend was one of the few times I actually wished our dogs looked mean...or hell, even sounded it! Some asshat park right next to us (their slide out was almost touching us) in a huge open camping field. If we had a mess of nasty looking dogs maybe he would have reparked...but nope...our just sat there and looked all bummed because their sun and view were now gone :p

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Jeremy R said:
Stinky,
That was really cool of you to take in a rescued pit.
I don't know if it was smart but cool none the less.:)
I don't have kids, and have had 3 wives, so I know how to live with a psycho animal that likes to bite. He's cool, but sadly he prolly won't ever be able to hang with other animals.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
ive had two pits, one of them a mixed breed, but both found as strays, and they were absolutely some of the best family dogs ive had, and ive had a lot. (17 to date) and they were both around a small child on a regular basis, along with all the other dogs, and there was never a problem. in fact they were both quite protective of the kid (my half brother)

so i agree with the posts above that speak to the bad, and completely undeserved, press that this breed has received.

oh and all of the pics above are good looking dogs, i dont think the rescued fighter looks ugly at all, but then again, im partial to pits.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to a problem no one wants to confront. It isn't the dogs that are the problem, it is the people that own them. If the gentleman that owned the dogs had followed the court order that required him to have HIS dogs muzzled ANYTIME they were off leash, then the attack on the little boy and his the subsequent attack on his father who was trying to protect him, wouldn't have occured. All that because muzzles were "too expensive".

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Nice article! :) That was a fun and educational read. But how do you target the minority of idiots who, as the article says, own these dogs as a status symbol and are ill-educated about the dog or how to raise one properly (or are out to create a to-be-feared machine)?
Do you license everyone who wants to have a pet? This might be a good thing - as it would help eliminate things like animal hoarding and would ensure that people who have pets are raising them in a healthy environment (kind of like for kids) - but then the government is too involved in the personal decisions of everyday people - a scary place to go in an era when Big Brother seems to be looming behind every corner.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Changleen said:
Dog control = Gun control?
Maybe not such a bad idea. I know that rescue agencies here in NYC have made it very difficult for people to adopt pitbulls and other bully breeds in hopes of dissuading some of those that would use them for breeding, fighting, etc. When we adopted Stella, the woman who ran the shelter came to our home and visited for about 4 hours, on the first day that we fostered our pup. They also ran a background check on us, and actually called our references! If there is a bit more involvment on the part of the adoption/rescue agency, I think that it would curtail some of the people attempting to adopt for ill purposes.