Quantcast

More tax discussion

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I thought I was really going to get hit hard with a penalty because I didn't prepay any taxes last year and I have a big tax bill coming. I got my filing today from my accountant and my penalty was a whopping....... 21 dollars.

Why the hell would anyone prepay taxes and lose the interest they could be getting on that money? :confused:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BeerDemon said:
I thought I was really going to get hit hard with a penalty because I didn't prepay any taxes last year and I have a big tax bill coming. I got my filing today from my accountant and my penalty was a whopping....... 21 dollars.

Why the hell would anyone prepay taxes and lose the interest they could be getting on that money? :confused:

I've often wondered this myself... unless the IRS says you MUST pay estimated taxes, and the penality is not much, why do it?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
People want to "plan it out" - "budget it"... etc.... fools I tell you!!!

I used to work for Paychex who offered a "Taxpay" product in which they would bill the client weekly for the taxes owed on the next year. We would, in turn, invest this "float" and make millions.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I guess that's a huge advantage of being self employed. Tax withholding is a load of crap.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BeerDemon said:
I guess that's a huge advantage of being self employed. Tax withholding is a load of crap.
I just pay what I owe when I file my return, no penalties. Why do they friggin penalize you for paying taxes at the end of the tax year, after you have actually earned the money?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

"But it's just like a big extra paycheck at the end of the year. I'd never be disciplined enough to save the money......." :rolleyes:

:D
Remember the idiot a few weeks ago who said this was "cheating" the tax system, and you would get more money back by paying more in?

what a 'tard.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What I don't get is why I paid nearly the same in state tax as I did to the feds, yet I owe the state $600 and the feds are giving me $2000 to pay it with.

I sort of understand with the way deductions fall, but you would think it would even out.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I once saw a client receive penalties of over $5,000....not uncommon.

You pay taxes as you earn the money....that is the idea. The government doesn't like giving out zero interest loans....though they don't pay you interest when they take to much. :D ;)

It also depends on when you earn the money....if the bulk of your money is loaded on the tail end of the year(seasonal workers or if you just start working at the tail end of a year) than you aren't really late in paying the taxes. so the penalties are less.

Rhino