Quantcast

More than a little disappointed with Chris King...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've been trying to order a 20mm to 15mm reducer axle for my 20mm front hub for some time now. Seems everywhere in the US is sold out until the 1st of 2011.

I know its a niche product, but really Chris King, WTF? I thought I found one over on Colorado Cyclist. However, it turns out that when they ordered 20mm to 15mm LD kits, Chris King sent them 15mm to 20mm conversions.

Is this the typical MO for King? I know there were A LOT of issues with the 150mm hubs.

I called and asked King what I should do. They told me I was all but SOL because they "weren't making that axle this run" and "wouldn't have any more until the first of the new year." This is BS...

So yea, I am disappointed now that I can't use my $800 wheel set because King can't use forecasting software or think more than two steps ahead. If I didn't already have the hubs, I would have moved onto something else.

[/rant]

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's retarded. Doesn't that fit all of their 20mm hubs? How is that not something they make a ton of and just have stock? It's not like the cost much to make or take up a ton of room. I'm sorry, but if I was King, I would run a couple to make my customers happy.

On a side note, 15mm axles are stupid.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I like the 15mm, its a good idea and for me, it works.

This seems to be the typical Chris King deal. "We're King, we've already got your money, and you're a dumbass fan boy who thinks we're God. Sit and spin until we can get our parts made on a schedule that fits our needs, not the needs of our consumers."

I am pretty displeased with this.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like DT hubs the most simple and solid, just not high engagement.

I have some Hadleys sitting here, hope to ride them soon.

My I9 set has been flawless.

But this is about King,....Steel freehubs are out till Jan. also.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
first off how can you go from 20 to 15 but not 15 to 20 in the same process? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Second, aren't you made of money? Why don't you just buy a new one? You, bullcrew and GFF should get together and have a money stack slappin' fight, with the winner getting to buy their GF new tatas and an yeti avy cartridge.

eh, i'm just jealous. No king for me!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Soooo ... you bought a hub that doesn't fit your fork, and its their fault?

ps: 15mm axles are stupid
pps: what color are the hubs?
ppps: try aspire velotech, they have tons of CK stuff
pppps: scratch that, their site says they're out too.

Also, 15mm axels are stupid.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Jerks, I am thinking about seeing if I can switch to Hadley hub on my new wheels.

But I already have Hadley, Hope, DT, and I9 I might as well own a set of Kings.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
You know, I really like King, but their inventory leaves something to be desired. I don't think I've ever ordered a part that they've had in stock unless it was something small. Hubs, hubshells, axles, freehub bodies. Kind of disappointing.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You know, I really like King, but their inventory leaves something to be desired. I don't think I've ever ordered a part that they've had in stock unless it was something small. Hubs, hubshells, axles, freehub bodies. Kind of disappointing.
Grease tool for the BB to that list. Then I forget to bother until it's too late.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Soooo ... you bought a hub that doesn't fit your fork, and its their fault?

ps: 15mm axles are stupid
pps: what color are the hubs?
ppps: try aspire velotech, they have tons of CK stuff
pppps: scratch that, their site says they're out too.

Also, 15mm axels are stupid.
all this

and 15mm is stupid

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
No, its my fault for buying a bike with a 15mm.

That being said, its not THAT hard to keep a constant inventory of parts they know they're going to need in stock? Its evident by the number of just Yeti bikes sold in the last couple of years (ASR-5, 575, ASR-C) that there are going to be a lot of bikes with 15mm hubs on them. Now if you look at that market, Yeti's and the like, those aren't cheap bikes. For the most part they're ridden by retards such as myself who have more money then sense, and more sense than ability and skill.

As such, we can afford stupid shiny bits like King and Thomson and so on. Is it any better than Hope or Gravity? Who's to say? But we can afford the parts, and by the inherent proof of them not having any of these axles left in the US, it goes to prove that they didn't think far enough ahead.

What can I say, I like my $800 wheel set. They engage well, they are in pretty colors, and they sound fantastic as you zip down the single track. Its just too bad that the company who I have given A LOT of money to over the years (14 hubs, 10 head sets, three bottom brackets and countless fun colored spacers) isn't there when I've needed them as I have been when they've needed me.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
What can I say, I like my $800 wheel set. They engage well, they are in pretty colors, and they sound fantastic as you zip down the single track. Its just too bad that the company who I have given A LOT of money to over the years (14 hubs, 10 head sets, three bottom brackets and countless fun colored spacers) isn't there when I've needed them as I have been when they've needed me.

Talk to Chris himself & tell him exactly that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seems pretty funny to me that a metal sleeve is out of stock across the country and has a 3+ month lead time...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I like the 15mm, its a good idea and for me, it works.

This seems to be the typical Chris King deal. "We're King, we've already got your money, and you're a dumbass fan boy who thinks we're God. Sit and spin until we can get our parts made on a schedule that fits our needs, not the needs of our consumers."

I am pretty displeased with this.
Dear free-market consumer, don't buy a screw when what you need is a nail.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Hey Dirt. Do you know any machinists? It seems like you could get away with a straight sleeve with a 20mm OD and 15mm ID and just press it into your 20mm hub. If I had a 15mm reamer, I would make one for you, but I'm in inch-land and I don't have very many metric tools.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
first off how can you go from 20 to 15 but not 15 to 20 in the same process? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Second, aren't you made of money? Why don't you just buy a new one? You, bullcrew and GFF should get together and have a money stack slappin' fight, with the winner getting to buy their GF new tatas and an yeti avy cartridge.

eh, i'm just jealous. No king for me!
+Rep
:rofl:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Seems pretty funny to me that a metal sleeve is out of stock across the country and has a 3+ month lead time...
Common sense would dictate that as being one of those things you always have in stock. Not only are you irritating your customers, but you are losing out on what I am guessing is a high $$ yield part. One of those things can't take more than a few minutes on a CNC machine, of which I am sure they have a program for. It's not like Mr. King has to jump on a lathe for 3 hours to turn one out of solid gold. Put some stock in the machine and press go.

Not having some odd color or random part available I can see....

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Common sense would dictate that as being one of those things you always have in stock. Not only are you irritating your customers, but you are losing out on what I am guessing is a high $$ yield part. One of those things can't take more than a few minutes on a CNC machine, of which I am sure they have a program for. It's not like Mr. King has to jump on a lathe for 3 hours to turn one out of solid gold. Put some stock in the machine and press go.

Not having some odd color or random part available I can see....
I agree. When I have a customer who is about to run out of parts, I will bust my butt to keep him happy. That reminds me: I need to get to work.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Having worked in the manufacturing side of the industry I can say that it is tough to keep everything in stock. A small company making parts in the US of expensive a$$ A needs to plan their production time very carefully. It costs so much time and money to switch a machine over to another part that it's not worthwhile to churn out a couple of measly axles. This time of year they're probably burning like hell to make everything else for next year. The distributors don't want to keep a lot of high price stuff in inventory, so they don't stock up on it, and neither do the shops. So the buck gets passed back to King. Shimano never hears these things because their stuff is cheap and easy to stock up on. If you like your shiny parts and smug emissions then shut up and wait. The good stuff is worth.

Edit: 15mm is stupid

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Switching a CNC lathe setup is very quick. This is not Ford Motor Company. They should blow out four hours worth of these axles for the sake of customer relations. Or outsource to a local machine shop.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Switching a CNC lathe setup is very quick. This is not Ford Motor Company. They should blow out four hours worth of these axles for the sake of customer relations. Or outsource to a local machine shop.
We've been reading one complaint. There are probably multiple parts out of stock. It's the end of the season.