Quantcast

More trail closures

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I heard today that Purisima Creek and Higgins trail are going to be closed to bikes soon due to a loop hole in some 100 year old documents discovered by the Sierra Club. Anyone else hear anything about this? They (Sirerra Club) seem hellbent on making all trails illegal for mountain bikes. Bastards!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This sounds a lot like the recent Niscene closure. What was your source for this info? Maybe someone is confused, I hope it's not true. It's ridiculous how MTB's are becoming perceived like dirtbikes these days :rolleyes:

Nick, How's the Stinky treating you? :)

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I heard it from a guy who works in a bike shop that I frequent. He's a pretty straight shooter so I don't think he made it up or anything. He also rides in that area a lot. It's been a long time since I rode down there. The last time I went there were lots of hikers who were not the most friendly bunch even though I as always, was very courtious. I found other areas to ride that are a lot more fun to ride. I remember reading on here that they had rangers with radar guns this past summer to catch bikers going too fast. If it is true, I guess the writing was on the wall then. I wonder when Skeggs will come under fire?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
The problem is usually not the bikes but the riders. I've been neerly run over by some jackasses who yield at nothing more often than I'd like to admit. I even was hit head on once and thought I was going to need knee surgery after that incident. Within a couple of minutes my knee doubled in size from the swelling.

You know, I like to go fast as much as the next guy but you have to be smart about it and keep a look out for people on the trail. Not keep going as fast as you can go and hope they see you in time to jump out of the way.

fatmatt

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
In a pineapple under the sea
Whatchootalkinbout lonewolf!?

Sierra club ain't got jack **** in P-town. If you are trying to protect the innocent, call me at the shop tomorrow and let me know what you heard.

p.s. I have you're daughters azonic shorts.

fatmatt

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
First of all, where'd you get that picture of me before my EXTREME! Makeover? I thought i'd got rid of all those. Second, no offense Mark, she just left 'em behind last time you guys were down at the shop. They are now part of the giant pile of stink that is the pads and riding clothes rack by the deep sink.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I thought I might go for a mud ride tomorrow!

Know anyone who wants a Monster T? I decided to get rid of mine as I am building up a all mountain trailbike. Looking for a 5" travel fork like a Fox Vanilla/Talas, Marzocchi Z1 or Manitou Firefly.

fatmatt

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Tracy wants to sell the '01 Z1 freeride off her bullit. She wants $350. She only used it to ride to church on sundays so it's in real good shape. She put soft springs in it but still has the mediums. Steerer tube was never cut that short so it should fit your bike.

markk

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Santa Cruz
Who did you hear about the Purisma closure from? Do you know if any pro-bike organizations are involved yet (IMBA, MBOSC, etc.)?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
From an employee at Eden Bikes in Castro Valley. Hopefully he was mistaken. He was not 100% sure but knew a good bit about the details he got from a friend of his. I know how things can get distorted going through the grapevine and that's why I asked if anyone else had heard anything about this.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
lonewolfe said:
I heard today that Purisima Creek and Higgins trail are going to be closed to bikes soon due to a loop hole in some 100 year old documents discovered by the Sierra Club. Anyone else hear anything about this? They (Sirerra Club) seem hellbent on making all trails illegal for mountain bikes. Bastards!
This doesn't sound real plausible to me, for what that's worth. Title restrictions lower the resale value of land. If it was true, what it would mean was that
(1)someone a hundred years ago sold or donated the land with some sort of title restriction on it,
(2) Those restrictions were still legally enforceable, and
(3) The restrictions could reasonably be interpreted to ban bicycling.

I did a quick check on the MROSD web site. Theyve got a list of all current trail closures, both seasonal, and more long term. Purisma Creek has some seasonal closures that are an annual thing. Anybody that's been up in the SC mountains the last few days knows it is WET!