Quantcast

Morewood Izimu and Kalula

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

Saw some killer deals at a shop in my area for the Morewood DH frames (Izimu, Kalula, Makula). Love the Makula, but even at a great deal its out of my league.
But have always liked the Izimu (simplicity and reported good ride) and the Kalula looks incredible to me (and I know its only 7").
Anyone have ride time on either Kalula or Izimu? Specifically the 2011 versions (Good idea on the Izimu rotating thing for CS/HA/BB adjustments).
Will run it with a Boxxer, and typical DH stuff. I know the Kalula is not marketed as their DH bike (Makula #1, Izimu #2, then Kalula) but it seems certainly capable of such.
Understand the typical single pivot 'issues' associated with a long travel frame, but I have no ride time on either, so asking any with time what they think.
Not looking to win any world cup races - but like to get out 7 or 8 weekends a season, and a few good races like Whiteface 5K.

Thanks for input

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Selling because you don't like it orit has glaring negatives, or for another reason?
Would really like to know both positives AND negatives people have.

dboman - was it a good ride? What did you like/dislike.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
The sizing was the biggest turnoff for me. For me, the frame performed best with a tuned shock. Some traction/suspension loss when you're on the brakes. I never bottomed mine, but it would sometimes get a little overwhelmed with multiple square-edged hits in succession. You can build them up pretty light and the frame pedals very well.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am your huckleberry. I have owned both the Izimu and the Kalula, and I used the Kalula as a DH race bike too. Before I give you my opinion, let me give you my dh bike preferences. All I want in a Dh frame is good geometry and a lively, active, poppy bike. Therefore I actually preferred the Izimu to the Kalula. The kalula suspension will handle everything you throw at it, but it has a numb dead feel compared to the Izimu. The Izimu was just a blast to ride, and I go fast when I am having fun.
All that said, I went from the Kalula to the Yeti 303 RDH, and it is the best of both worlds. It has better geometry than the Morewoods, and it has the same lively poppy feel of the Izimu, but with the controlled shock rate, the suspension is better. In my 16 years of racing the Yeti is my favorite DH bike I have ridden.
If you can not get on a deal on the Yeti and have to get a Morewood, I would get the new Izimu with adjustable geometry.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks Mr Huckleberry!

I agree - plow bikes are not as fun... Like to know and 'feel' the ride. I have been looking at the RDH as well - but can't seem to get anything close pricewise. RDH close to new is still several hundred more than a new Izimu I can get.

I had a Yeti DH9 for two years in 07/08. I know the quality is awesome... Maybe I will push my search for a RDH to get better price comparisons.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Selling because you don't like it orit has glaring negatives, or for another reason?
Would really like to know both positives AND negatives people have.

dboman - was it a good ride? What did you like/dislike.
I'm selling it because I'm getting out of DH. I enjoy riding my trail bike a lot more these days and it doesn't make sense to hang onto a DH bike when it might get ridden 3-4 times over the next 6 months. I might get another bike in the spring, who knows.

The Izimu is an awesome bike; simple, agile, light. The biggest positive is the simplicity. I also had a GT Fury for a few months and I actually prefer the Izimu, I spent more time fixing the GT than I did riding it. I've never had an issue with the izimu, if you need to change the bearings it's 10 dollars and takes 10 minutes. It's certainly not a plower bike, it rewards a rider that picks good lines and likes to jump/skip across obstacles.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Nice thread for comparason. I have also been looking at a deal on a Kalula and going the same route in DH to have a more poppy bike that suits my style more. Currently on a Jedi and havent really considered Morewood due top cost. IN SOuth Africa I couldnt believe the pop some of the guys were getting on their Izimus but seeing smooth the Mukulus and Kalulas were through the rough was sublime.

Interesting to hear the Kalula is not as poppy as the Izimu and feels a little dead. Not what I am looking for. The sizing of the Izimu puts me off because the Jedi I have now feels small and its the 1 thing I really dislike. I am weighing up the Kalula and TR 250 but seems I need to more digging on the Kalula.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
Not sure about the Kalula/Makulu comments regarding lack of pop.

My 2011 Makulu shreds like crazy; it has a weird combination of the ability to track terrain really well, ground hugging when required, able to pop lines and air sections through DH lines, and boost pretty good off lips and boost of the end of jampz/drops. I have people follow me who say they're amazed at how much boost I get, yet how well the back end hugs the ground, rocks, roots etc, too. Doesn't feel dead, sluggish etc def no plow bike, just feels really reactive, light, and agile. It's a curious mix but one I really like. Seems to do exactly what I want, when I want, depending how I handle the bike, and seems to naturally adapt to the terrain.

Last edited:

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the information. Think I will be a large in either... Too bad the sizes are not more uniformed towards 'standard' trends.

But really solid sounding bikes, both of them. I guess depending on how you set up the Kalula - you get different rides (as one had a popy bike - one had a dead bike).

But boy decision is not being made easy. Both seem so good. Love the low COG and sleek look of the Kalula, and the Izimu seems to be a blast to ride and looks sleek and the adjustable HA/CS/BB is a huge plus.

Can't really go wrong with either I guess - but would love more rider thoughts. Surprisingly not many long term/in depth media reviews of either. One major review on PB of the Kalula...

Give me more!

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
Can't really go wrong with either I guess - but would love more rider thoughts. Surprisingly not many long term/in depth media reviews of either. One major review on PB of the Kalula...
60 days and about 500,000' of DH on a Makulu this year. Suspension design and hardware is the same as the Kalula so I can tell you this:

Frame held up really well, the downtube is bomb proof. I had 3m tape on my frame but regardless it held up really well and the new design (clearcoat over top) stayed really fresh
Graphics are quite "delicate" looking and very subtle but have stayed minty fresh all season
The linkage is a tidy looking high end item and it's stayed A1 all season, looks brand new
Stock mudguard works really well, does the job whether it's mud, clay or loam it pretty much keeps all the crap out of the shock area
Pivots bearings etc all help up solid, I tightened the main pivot bolts a couple times, linkage bolts maybe 2 times each side, and the shock bolts 2-3 times during the season, all just very slightly loose.
Typically dropping 8-12 bike park laps per day, 30 bike park days in 2011.
She's pretty dammm solid, I think I tested this bike to the extremes of potential riding demands
Seatpost clamp is a solid quality item, no issues with it coming loose at all
Brake housing/shifter cable is well located, no issues with rub etc
I ran a CC 40 headset (as advised), no issues, just a refit and clean/lube mid season
Despite all that amount of riding, the bike feels minty fresh and as tight as the day I first got her
No cracks, dents, stress fractures, paint chips etc
BB height is actually quite high even with substantial sag - the Kalula runs 33% sag versus 40% on the Makulu, which makes for a nice position, free of clipping roots and rocks - and this doesn't seem to compromise the center of gravity at all
Corners like a beast, just drop a shoulder/elbow/knee and let her go, feels amazing
Generally seems to reward rider aggression, not backing off riding style or cautious defensive riding. Loves to have you get on the front foot, get over the front, attack corners, and give it some hammering. I'd guess the Kalula was the same, or very similar.
Pedalling platform is really efficient, very lively and keeps the energy levels up, I'd guess the Kalula would be an awesome aggressive AM beast/FR bike with the right gearing and build, as well as making a great mini-DH ripper

Last edited:

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks! Really like the durability and simplicity aspect of the Izimu!! Saw a photo of the 2011 white one I think at Eurobike, and it looks killer!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Great review of the Makula. Thanks! With so many similarities, I am sure the Kalula will be equally as good (with slightly less travel, not quite as slack or long).

Here is the dilemma, Kalula w/RC4 rear shock is $250 more than Izimu w/RC2 rear shock. I know RC2 is OEM shock, and not as adjustable - but seems ok.

Do I check all the couch cushions in my neighbourhood for an extra $250, or get the Izimu and just smile and be happy!?!?

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
Here is the dilemma, Kalula w/RC4 rear shock is $250 more than Izimu w/RC2 rear shock. I know RC2 is OEM shock, and not as adjustable - but seems ok.

Do I check all the couch cushions in my neighbourhood for an extra $250, or get the Izimu and just smile and be happy!?!?
Go with the bike you fall in love with - you'll ride it more

imo +/- $250 in the long term life of a bike is neither here nor there

I was looking at a Kalula, sizing is def smaller due to the poppy almost slopestyle-esque kind of geometry, so I'd be sure to check the sizing and geo really carefully. e.g. at 6' I ride a med Makulu but couldn't fit a medium Kalula, I'd need a large for sure.