Quantcast

Morewood Izimu shock recommendation

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
There's a ton of collective knowledge on this site regarding leverage ratios and such. Thus, I'm hoping for some guidance on a new-to-me 2011 Izimu I recently purchased and built up. It's currently got a Fox RC2 shock and I'm running a Fox 40 up front.

I weigh about 200 pounds in gear and ride in the Phoenix area; this means there are no smooth or groomed trails, rocks, rocks and more rocks. This is a shuttle-only rig.

My goal is smooth, plush rear performance that I can get dialed in once and then leave it alone. I am considering an air shock.

Will an air shock perform well on this frame? And if so (or even if not), is there a recommendation? Thanks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have owned an Izimu and I have a CCDB air on my trail bike. If I was putting an air shock on the Izimu, I would choose that one. It is a progressive shock that would suit that frame, but it is also sensitive off the top and should not feel harsh. You may not need to run much LSC on it to help with that.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I would get a double barrel coil. I had one for two years on my izimu. Set it and forget it and I rode it all over the country. I weigh 165 and ran a 300 lb spring.

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
I weigh 225, ran a vivid air on my izimu and loved it, though I bet the CCDB air would be even better

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Think I'm kinda sold on CCDB-Air. I was mostly concerned with leverage ratio issues. Assume I can just pick up a secondary market 9.5x3 and call it good?

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
I had a 2011 Izimu (new), and rode it summer 2012.
For what its worth - I just never felt like I got it right. I guess thats the issue with CCBD for some riders like me, if you don't get it perfect - well it just doesn't feel all that incredible.
Yes I contacted and have the email from Cane Creek with there suggested settings. What were my issues - without being very suspension savvy, I will say it seemed like it was definitely not 'bottomless' as is often used to describe some DH frames and suspension. But then again I am a heavy weight - 220-225lbs with gear. I think the wheel tracked the ground well - but when you are not totally in tune with your bike, its tough to get that sense, so its maybe more a sign of me than a sign of the CCDB.
Just my feel - sorry I am not a deeply detailed suspension guy. I just ride and enjoy it... and never had the "incredible" feel I was hoping for.
Some did tell me they had similar experience with this on the Izimu/CCDB set up, but others like some above - said they loved it.
Take it for what it is - not a suspension guy, never felt at home on it. Maybe more patience needed and time and work - but I only get a few weekends a year to really ride it, and could not spend all that time working on it (nor would I know what fine tune adjustments to make each run!).
Good luck - I loved the simplicity of the Izimu, and I am sure the CCDB when you get it set right will be incredible.