Quantcast

Morewood Shova LT rear shock setup tips pls...

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Heya monkeys (and other wicked animals out there ;)
Just got my new 2008 Morewood Shova LT (kick ass beauty).
In 2008 travel is down from 7.6" to 7.1" and it is armed with the DHX 4 with 350 spring. My Qs:
1. I weight 185lbs (w/o gear), and sag is pretty generous as it stands right now (about 33%). In your experience, is it too much? is it better to stay with this 350 spring and twick with other settings or should I better be with 400 spring for 'firmer feel'? I am asking all you riders with similar figures and experience with this amount of rear travel.
2. I have DHX 5 on 2 other bikes of mine but never used a DHX 4, am I going to lack the bottom out feature? on a 7" rear travel is this an important dial? I don't hack crazy stuff (Bender style), max would be 6-9 feet (normally 4-6). Should this alone call for a stiffer spring (400) as related to my first Q? Should I opt for the DHX 5 upgrade for that feature alone? Any riders out there with the DHX 4 experience on FR rigs out there?

Sorry if too loooong
Cheers :)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
:
weight 185lbs (w/o gear), and sag is pretty generous as it stands right now (about 33%).
I don't have an 08 Shova or Fox DHX 4.0 coil.
But with that amount of sag without gear i would go to a firmer spring since your doing some drops.My guess is a 400# spring might be perfect. Prolly don't want to risk bottoming out & stressing the frame is my theory.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
have you ridden the bike yet? personal preference is important

33% sag is fine for more dh style ridding, if you find that you bottom out easily, add more air to the boost chamber(this increases compression damping), if you still bottom too much then get stiffer spring( you will lose some small bump sensitivity. remember you should bottom your shock on your bigger hits, just not very hard.

to sum it up, play with the adjustments you have, then try another spring, play with adjustments again. compare your results, and chose what feels best.( take notes)

another idea is to ask morewood.

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Great tip, thanks.
I guess I wonder in general whether 35% sag for FR is excessive (on a 7" travel) or maybe it is quite common... also I was wondering from riders experience whether DHX 4 not having bottom out dial tends to close travel more often or is the factory preset is doing its job well....

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have a 07 and first had a DHX 5.0 coil on it with a 400 spring. I am about 175lbs with out gear. The 400 spring was to much for me as I like a soft setup, about 30+% sag. I have replaced the DHX Coil with a DHX Air 5.0. Was running about 150psi in the main chamber and 130psi in the B-Out chamber with the B-Out knob in hlf way. It was just about the best feeling or setup I could get the DHX Air on the Shova. I now have a RS Vivid with a 350lb spring. Still have it setup around 30+% sag. Hope this helps out a little bit.

Good luck man!!!