Quantcast

Morewood Shova LT Review

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
This is my new ride for 2008. I wanted to build a 7”x7” Mini DHer and a do it all bike for the 08 season. Most of the races I attend during the race season you don’t need a full on 8”+ DHer. I took a stock Morewood Shova LT frame and changed it up a little. Stock rear shock is an 8.75” I to I and 2.75” stroke. Stock that =’s 7.6” of rear travel and the GEO is 67d HA, 14.5” high BB, and a 72d ST angel. I wanted a slacker feel, a lower BB, and wanted the rear suspension to match up a little better with the RS Totem Air up front. So I decided to try a shorter I to I and shorter stroke rear shock. I put a DHX 5.0 Air 8.5 I to I with a 2.5” stroke on the frame. In result this is what I got.

Bike GEO and Specs:
7” of Rear suspension and 7” of Front Suspension
65 degree HT
22” True TT
14” High BB
44.5” Wheel Base
29” Stand Over
70 degree ST

Build:
Frame Morewood Shova LT Size Large
Rear Shock Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Fork Totem Air
Brakes Formula K24s 8” disc
Truvativ Stylo Cranks 175mm
E-13 LG1 with Taco
Thomson Stem and Seat Post
Azonic OutLaw Wheelset with Michelin Tires setup Tubeless
Bars Sunline V1s
Sram X9 shifter and X9 Mid Cage Derailleur
Sram 26-11 Road Cassette
Cane Creek Head Set
Forté Pro SLX Saddle

Weight? I am thinking it’s around 35lbs with All Mt Tires on it and 36lbs with DH Tires. I will truly know when I put it on a scale.

The Ride:
I took it on a local shuttle ride this past weekend to put so time on it. This bike is super fun to ride and rails!!!!! The 3 different shuttle runs we did had about everything you could throw at a DH bike. Things I was worried about was; 1: Is a 7”er going to be enough, 2: Will it hold up to high speed runs, 3: How stable it would be, and 4: Being a SP design if there was going to be any brake jack? Well it exceeded my expectations and there was very little brake jack at all. The bike is super light and very easy to throw around, jumps as nice as any bike I have had in the past, and pedals really well up and downhill. I was also worried about the DHX air with all the negative feed back on the web. I will have to say it performed really well. It did take some time to set it up right, but almost feels as good as a coil shock. Time will tell if I run into any of the problems those have had in the past with that shock. I do plan to put a Cane Creek DB or the new Rock Shox Vivid shock on it with a TI spring for the 08 race season. For now the reason I am running air front and rear is so that I can set the bike up on the fly for all kinds of riding whether it’s Cross Country riding, Dirt Jumping, Shuttling, or DH racing. I will get to take it up to one of the best places to ride on the East Coast, Wind Rock TN in Nov. I will give another ride report then.

If you are thinking of building a 7” DHer or a do it all bike; I highly recommend the Morewood Shova LT and my build or a build much like it.

Thanks goes out to the below for helping me out with the build:
Richard, Patrick, and the Morewood crew for thier great sponsorship and helping get me back on the Morewood brand (By far the best service in the industry!!!!)
Michelin for taking care of me for the past 10+ years and making the best DH tires out there
Thomson for thier super light Stems and Seat Posts, plus taking care of me for the past 5 years
Azonic for hooking me up with a great wheelset and the past 10+ years of sponsorship
Sunline for their super light and cool bars, one of my new sponcors for 08

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
6.9" to be precise. Nice write up Cecil. It's a super fun bike for sure.

*:spam: Check out mine in the classifieds :busted:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Looks good though! Are those the new geo #'s you measured above with the DHX Air? That thing looks lighter than 36...

DoggyBoy - why are you selling :D and what's its replacement

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Looks good though! Are those the new geo #'s you measured above with the DHX Air? That thing looks lighter than 36...

DoggyBoy - why are you selling :D and what's its replacement
New GEOs with the 8.5 ItoI and 2.5"stroke shock:
7” of Rear suspension and 7” of Front Suspension
65 degree HT
22” True TT
14” High BB
44.5” Wheel Base
29” Stand Over
70 degree ST

Stock GEOs with the 8.75 ItoI and 2.75"stroke shock:
7.6” of Rear suspension and 7” of Front Suspension
67 degree HT
22” True TT
14.5” High BB
44” Wheel Base
29” Stand Over
72 degree ST

I really don't know the weight yet, so my guess as of right now 36esh. It does feel super light. I will know as soon as I take it up to the shop or bring it to work.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Cecil. Bike looks awesome man, glad to see that you have seen the light and are back on Morewood! And a large ;)

I don't mean to be an ass, or pee on your parade, but you've got 6.83" on the rear there... not 7".

Would be stoked to get some feedback from you sometime though, drop me a line when you get some more time on the bike!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Why the DHX air......?........seems the popular opinion is that the rp23 is a better shock for a falling rate suspension....

I've been looking at getting an air shock for my heckler....that's why i'm asking...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Cecil. Bike looks awesome man, glad to see that you have seen the light and are back on Morewood! And a large ;)

I don't mean to be an ass, or pee on your parade, but you've got 6.83" on the rear there... not 7".

Would be stoked to get some feedback from you sometime though, drop me a line when you get some more time on the bike!
Ok someone please help me out here with the math sense I am off for some reason:
7.6" Stock Travel/2.75" Stock Stroke shock=2.76"

2.76"*2.5" stroke shock on the bike now=6.9"

How are we off here? Is the Fox DHX Air not really 2.5" of stroke?

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Work in mm. The leverage ratio is more or less 2.75:1 so with a 63mm stroke shock (your mod shock) the RWT is +/- 173mm which is +/- 6.83".

Don't be disappointed Cecil, its not always the size that counts, its how you use it ;)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Work in mm. The leverage ratio is more or less 2.75:1 so with a 63mm stroke shock (your mod shock) the RWT is +/- 173mm which is +/- 6.83".

Don't be disappointed Cecil, its not always the size that counts, its how you use it ;)
Ha Ha!!!! Thanks for clearing it up. I am sure my wife want be that disappointed that it doesn't have as much travel as I thought and told her. Its worked great so far!!!!!:cheers:

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm looking to build a <38 lbs. 7"x7" lightFR/all-around bike myself. My goals are very similar to yours (as far as weight and purpose of the bike) and see you're riding the large frame size. How tall are you? I'm 6'5" and wonder if the large Shova would fit me.

Thanks,
J. C.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
cecil bike looks sick dude, you better come back up to diablo next season. ill let you crash at my house even tho your on a moorewood this year haha just playing. but seriously let me know whenever you wanna stay up for the weekend.

Dennis

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
I'm looking to build a <38 lbs. 7"x7" lightFR/all-around bike myself. My goals are very similar to yours (as far as weight and purpose of the bike) and see you're riding the large frame size. How tall are you? I'm 6'5" and wonder if the large Shova would fit me.

Thanks,
J. C.
I'm 6' 3" and it fits fine...I have a Shova LT w/out shock brand new for sale. (I know spam) but let me know if you have any questions.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002

Thanks,
J. C.
I am 5'11" with long arms. It maybe a little samll for you unlees you like a smaller bike. The ture TT is 22" from center HT to center ST.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
cecil bike looks sick dude, you better come back up to diablo next season. ill let you crash at my house even tho your on a moorewood this year haha just playing. but seriously let me know whenever you wanna stay up for the weekend.

Dennis
Dude whats up??? I plan to come up for the US Open. I really had fun when I was up there man. Thanks again for showing me around. If you get the itch to ride you bike this winter when its way to cold up there this winter you can always come down here. We have some sick shuttles down here. :cheers:

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
To measure the true TT, you insert a seat post and measure horizontally from the top, center of the HT to the center of the seat post, right? I want to compare your 22" measurement to my current bike.

Thanks!
J. C.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
To measure the true TT, you insert a seat post and measure horizontally from the top, center of the HT to the center of the seat post, right? I want to compare your 22" measurement to my current bike.

Thanks!
J. C.
Well if my seat is up so I can climb on the bike it is right at 22.5" from top of Seat Post to center of the HT. Hope this helps.

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Just got an 08 Shova LT frame (less shock) from Richard (previous Morewood owner) & am putting my 2.5 x 8.5" Fifth Element that came of my Bullit on it as well. I sent it to Avalanche to get the air reservoir converted to nitrogen & they're re-valving w/ new internals also. Lower ride height & shorter stroke here as my Bullit had an "adjustable" shock mount also that allowed a lower rear end/ ride height - which I liked. Let you know how it turns out soon. Clemson IS waiting...

Last edited:

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Cecil, your name sounds familiar... have we met @ Clemson or the Paris Mnt. Downhill race a year or so ago perhaps?

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
you ever think of putting a DH fork on it? seems like it wouldn't give up much in the weight department but would add some front end stiffness and HT angle adjustability. looks like a fun bike anyway.

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
you ever think of putting a DH fork on it? seems like it wouldn't give up much in the weight department but would add some front end stiffness and HT angle adjustability. looks like a fun bike anyway.
Single crown technology has improved GREATLY in recent years. I ride XC also, which happens to "fit" a single-crown application better. Ran a RS Boxxer WC for a couple of years on my Bullit which WAS GREAT for DH but TOO much for XC riding. Looking @ a coil Totem or a 66 RC3 for the Shova @ this time.

Marcoos

Chimp
Nov 30, 2011
Norfolk UK
Hi, I know I'm a bit late on this thread but I've just managed to pick up a 2007 shova lt (size long) for a bargain price.
I'm interested in changing the shock to slacken the head angle and make it a true 7x7 mini DH-er (near as damn it). However I'm on a budget so could only afford one shock/option....
Should I or would you-

A) go for a 2.5 stroke DHX5 air (rememeber this will be my only shock due to budget)
B) go for a 2.5 coil unit and try to get a ti spring at some point
C) get some "offset bushings"/angle reducing headset to reduce the HA but still run my stock DHX4 (only prob with this is it wi still be 7.6" rear travel).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thinking about getting one of these as well. Size L, I suppose that should fit reasonably well with my 5'11" height. Anything to look out for? Did people get along with them pretty well?