Quantcast

Morewood Shova LT Review

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hi, I know I'm a bit late on this thread but I've just managed to pick up a 2007 shova lt (size long) for a bargain price.
I'm interested in changing the shock to slacken the head angle and make it a true 7x7 mini DH-er (near as damn it). However I'm on a budget so could only afford one shock/option....
Should I or would you-

A) go for a 2.5 stroke DHX5 air (rememeber this will be my only shock due to budget)
B) go for a 2.5 coil unit and try to get a ti spring at some point
C) get some "offset bushings"/angle reducing headset to reduce the HA but still run my stock DHX4 (only prob with this is it wi still be 7.6" rear travel).
If you want to use this as a mini-DH bike, I'm not sure the DHX Air is really up to the task. So I would vote against option A.

Option B seems expensive.

There's also an "Option C - i" which is to get have your DHX4 Pushed (or TFTuned if you're in Britain) and then see if you still need the offset bushings or headset.

Marcoos

Chimp
Nov 30, 2011
Norfolk UK
Thanks for your input, sounds like another option. The only trouble option C is that I would still end up with the same 7.6" travel and same head angle. Plus the money spent push/TF tuning the dhx4 plus an angleset/bush set would be equal to that of a good 2nd hand dhx5/vivid.(hence option B?)

I like the idea of option A, an air shock would be great for use locally but as you said when used for proper DH (ie my annual pilgrimage to the Alp, les gets, morzine) would an air shock buckle under the pressure? Hahaa

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
went w/a flush mount headset, kept my domain & sent the old 5'th Element to Avalanche to let Craig work his magic, he DID. It was the 8.5 x 2.5"er I had on my Bullit, this being a shorter stroke/ length lowered the rear end a bit & slackened the head-angle some. It CRUISES downhill. Shock is indescribable once I fine-tuned it.

Marcoos

Chimp
Nov 30, 2011
Norfolk UK
Single crown technology has improved GREATLY in recent years. I ride XC also, which happens to "fit" a single-crown application better. Ran a RS Boxxer WC for a couple of years on my Bullit which WAS GREAT for DH but TOO much for XC riding. Looking @ a coil Totem or a 66 RC3 for the Shova @ this time.
I run totem airs an they're awesome, easily as good as the tipples I've used and much better suited to a shova. As you said single crown technology has come a long long way!

Marcoos

Chimp
Nov 30, 2011
Norfolk UK
went w/a flush mount headset, kept my domain & sent the old 5'th Element to Avalanche to let Craig work his magic, he DID. It was the 8.5 x 2.5"er I had on my Bullit, this being a shorter stroke/ length lowered the rear end a bit & slackened the head-angle some. It CRUISES downhill. Shock is indescribable once I fine-tuned it.
That's the result I'm after, a 8.5x2.5 to slacken everything. Much like how this thread started. Think I'll keep an eye out for a 2nd hand 2.5 DHX or vivid.
A friend was saying about a large volume monarch rt3, yet again awesome here on local trails but not so great for alpine descents!?